Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any idea what ever happened to snowblood anyway?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  17:49:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Was looking at another thread that's utterly stupid, and rather than continue it, figured I'd ask this question related to something Wooly said that reminded me of an old scribe that has always been hit and miss for me (as sometimes I disappear from this site for months, and so I never noticed them on here). I found Snowblood's work on the elves via google and thought it was great years ago. Granted, since then, some has probably become unworkable, but anyone that loved the realms as much as he (she?) apparently did is worth knowing (just as Markustay is). Any idea what happened to them?

On that same topic, I know we've got some old authors here (or at least I think they're old authors), like Aulddragon (who to tell you the truth, I'm not sure who he really is... I believe he goes by Jeff... and I love his god work, and apparently he was involved with spelljamming). Are there any others (and if they don't want to be unmasked, please don't do so)? Its just kind of nice to know who you're talking to sometimes and sometimes surprising to find out where they're from (i.e. the number of folks that I've found out are in Australia, England, and Canada are surprising). Towards that end, I live in the coastal Mississippi/Louisiana area.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  19:13:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snowblood hasn't visited us in about 10 years; if he gave a reason for his extended absence, I've forgotten it.

I suspect that we've had some anonymous past authors/designers drop in from time to time, but so far as I know, any authors/designers that have been here on a regular basis have used their real names.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  19:44:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is rare that any announce a plan to depart a forum, most do not plan on departing in a formal way. I did look at Snowblood's profile and did try a search on given name, I could not find any thing useful.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  20:03:01  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may know this, but I saw snowblood was active till recently (up to 2018) in his deviantart account (phasai):
https://www.deviantart.com/phasai

He moved away from the Realms though, before stopping to be active there.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  20:09:19  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to disappear for even a year at a time and always end up coming back. I still try to hunt down Gray Richardson whose work on the creator races was unparalleled.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  21:12:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I tend to disappear for even a year at a time and always end up coming back. I still try to hunt down Gray Richardson whose work on the creator races was unparalleled.

Yeah, sometimes the job gets in the way and I can't be here as often, so I may be gone for months and just periodically drop in. Its kind of sad sometimes when you know so many people by nothing but an alias and you lose contact.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  21:47:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Yeah, sometimes the job gets in the way and I can't be here as often, so I may be gone for months and just periodically drop in. Its kind of sad sometimes when you know so many people by nothing but an alias and you lose contact.

That's the truth. Off the top of my head, I can readily come up with a handful of names of people who are no longer active here, that I'd love to reconnect with.

I do know the real names of a couple people here, but not many.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  22:18:29  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've become more active again recently, but before then I was only stopping by here sporadically for a time.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2020 :  22:57:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That's the sucky thing about the internet. Someone you could literally talk to every day for months, years and develop a friendly relationship can just disappear out of the blue for reasons unknown and you'll never know why. Also, it's crazy when you think about it, but some of us are going like 15-20 years here/in the FR community.

So many people have come and gone over the years. With lovers and friends, I still can recall. Some are dead, and some are living; In my life, I've loved them all

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 04 Aug 2020 23:01:48
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  00:39:06  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

That's the truth. Off the top of my head, I can readily come up with a handful of names of people who are no longer active here, that I'd love to reconnect with.

I do know the real names of a couple people here, but not many.

You bastards aren't getting my truename! I've read Ed's books, I know how that ends!

But yeah, I was here at Candlekeep for a bit early on, and then I was off just doing other stuff for most of the 2010's. Life happens that way.

(Put me down for Faraer and crazedventurers as two missing scribes whose posts and enthusiasm I always enjoyed)

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  01:51:29  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gray Richardson was just brilliant. He would come up with very intrigue thoughts and had a superb ability to weave great lore about the creator races, the gods, the planes and the multiverse. I used to read everything he wrote here at Candlekeep and at the old WoTC foruns.

That guy should have been hired by WoTC.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  03:16:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of us never go away ... of the active posters at the 'Keep, other than Alaundo, I'm the oldest now.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 05 Aug 2020 03:18:06
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  03:26:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Grey did some freelance work for WotC. I could be wrong.

I took a couple of years off Candlekeep myself.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  04:29:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Some of us never go away ... of the active posters at the 'Keep, other than Alaundo, I'm the oldest now.

-- George Krashos

You made me look. As to recent posts Salius Kai Posted July 2 2020 a member before you. A member since 13 Dec 2002. Has 217 posts.

Also there is RealmProtector last post 23 Jun 2020 member since 13 Aug 2002 In fairness total posts are 12.

Neither can be considered very active as to number, however if active time goes for recent posts and joining before.

Mostly it got me wondering where I would fall on such a comparison to when became member and was still active. I know there are at least a few older members then me here, Wooly for sure, but was getting too long to continue the research.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  05:50:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been here since 2004, myself.

I signed up months before I became active; I was very active on the WotC forums at the time, and just stayed over there.

Then I hit their three strikes and you're out rule. Strike 1 was that I participated in a discussion where someone had been insulted. My participation was agreeing that the initial post was so badly worded it wasn't clear if it was a question or a statement -- and that was after I'd tried to translate whatever the post was and give a helpful response. Everyone in that discussion got a strike, whether they deserved it or not. The second strike was violating the rule about discussing novels -- someone asked if a particular game designer had written a novel, and I said that he hadn't. This was worthy of a strike. And I was never able to find out what the third strike was -- I assume I got a strike for just for participating in a topic that became a problem, but I was never able to find out what the problem was, or even confirm that's why I got that third strike. The mods deleted the topic, and the only one willing to even look into the issue couldn't find any info -- and it took like three tries to even get that much.

That banning was what made me shift my focus over here. The ban notice said I could re-register under a different name, but could not mention my old name or having been banned. I decided I wasn't going to participate if it wasn't under the name I first chose, so I was done, there.

And incidentally, that banning became part of my guidelines for being a mod, here. I keep the behavior of the WizO's in mind, and try very hard to not act like them. There's another mod, on a forum I'm no longer active on, that serves as a similar example. I wasn't banned on that one, it just didn't have enough activity and I got bored with it -- I think I'm still in the top 20 for number of posts, even though I've not posted a thing in years!

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  13:19:18  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... I was just perusing the old Realms NPC threads on the Wayback Machine the other day, and saw your account a number of times, Wooly...

I've been on since 2008, just after I had moved to Minnesota. Guess I needed something to do then.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  22:20:56  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I joined in 2004 as well, which is a bit mind-bending when I think about it. There have been a number of folks who have stopped posting that I missed. Then again, since I don't work with 4e lore and only a little of 5e stuff, there can be long gaps between when I post.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2020 :  22:49:44  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I was searching for Snowblood when I ran across this scroll...

That is interesting about the banning issue for you at WotC. I will say in this instance of not concerning myself with kindness or tact, WotC is full of a great plethora of morally bankrupt, stupendously daft people. There are the occasional folk there who shine through, only to find themselves run over by the MAC truck of intellectual vacuousness. They do tend to reap what they sow, and I am sure in the end they will get their due. They certainly have accrued enough bad will to get them over that finish line.

I am glad to see that something good did come of it regarding your practices of moderating. You're a squared away moderator I will say that. We've had some disagreements here and there, and you are reasonable and patient. So, their loss over at WotC, and this site's gain as far as I am concerned.

Best regards,

Edit: Edited some of my 2:00 a.m. grammar, haha

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 30 Oct 2020 15:06:56
Go to Top of Page

grayhoss
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2020 :  12:19:56  Show Profile Send grayhoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ashe, could you post the URL? I seem to have lost my archived copy of that thread and need to redo it.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2020 :  22:44:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thought snowblood had an account on Deviantart but... don't know for sure. I know of two here at the keep who have one.... but I dont see them that active there..

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2020 :  22:52:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

thought snowblood had an account on Deviantart but... don't know for sure. I know of two here at the keep who have one.... but I dont see them that active there..

As indicated by Baltas in a post (04 Aug 2020) a ways above yours, last activity there was 2018.

Edits for clarity, I hope they better then first unedited.

Edited by - Kentinal on 05 Nov 2020 22:56:54
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2020 :  23:37:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His lore and maps were too close to correct and the elves stole him away...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 05 Nov 2020 23:37:54
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  06:50:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Darden,

If I could upvote that, I would! With the quality of his works, I could actually believe the Elves would come for him to stop his amazing work!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2020 :  03:31:25  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always try to stop and at least lurk every month or so. There are times I'm in here daily, normally its how much free time I have and if I'm actively working on a quest.

If I had the time I'd work on D&D all day and I'd be in here constantly. I always fear that places like this will disappear and with it all their lore. It honestly feels like a digital dark age of sorts lately, sites disappearing. The Wayback machine has come in useful more than once but just as frequently it comes up short. I really wish WotC would have just locked and archived their forums. *sigh*

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2020 :  05:49:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Gelcur,

You're Snowblood? My apologies and not realizing it, if so. I've not spoken with you before on the site, or for that matter, ever.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Compaste
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  04:38:25  Show Profile Send Compaste a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do they still exist, snowblood hasnt visited here for 10 yrs or more.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  07:43:31  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Compaste,

I think I had it in my mind that Snowblood had multiple accounts here. I think it was just an oversight of mine.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  14:25:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of "Missing Scribes" where in the Nine Hells is Mark Taylor?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  19:45:34  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Brimstone,

No kidding there. It's been since December 2019 that he's been on here.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  22:14:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Speaking of "Missing Scribes" where in the Nine Hells is Mark Taylor?

He comes and goes. He'll pop in, be active for several months, then disappear for a year.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  22:22:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

So, does Explorer Markustay usually come back with a whole other host of maps when he is gone as long, or just comes and goes as he does?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000