Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any typ about Abyssal Language
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Myth
Acolyte

Spain
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2020 :  18:37:04  Show Profile Send Myth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi travelers!

I was wondering if there is any official references about abyssal tongue, I could find just a fer lanes after researching along the forums and on the web. I guess is a really old language which maybe references are not even sure at the Realms, but if someone could give me some light on this it would be so aprreciate.

Hope you´re all well!

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2020 :  21:13:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are you looking for exactly regarding abyssal as a language?

The official infernal font is here, but that would be the more lawful side
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/294284/Infernal-Font

Here's one based off 4e and a link to the font
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Barazhad
https://www.dafont.com/barazhad.font

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Myth
Acolyte

Spain
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2020 :  23:00:39  Show Profile Send Myth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m looking for the abyssal language origins, and a way to make a role of the understanding of the language by a PC mage, I know bharazad is the alphabet but I’m looking for history and fact of the language itself, sorry if my English is not the best, maybe I’m explaining my self in a wrong way
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2020 :  00:26:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Abyssal language origin = The Abyss.

Native population includes fiends (specifically demons/tanar'ri and daemons/yugoloth), numerous Chaotic Evil Deities/Powers, and an infinite variety of vile and wretched things.

"The Infinite Layers of the Abyss is a plane where all that is ugly, all that is evil, and all that is chaotic manifests in infinite variety through layers beyond count. Its virtually endless layers spiral downward into ever more atrocious, malign, depraved, dangerous and disgusting forms."

The language would sound unattractive, even disturbing, it would have a syntax and vocabulary which reflects cruelties and corruptions unimaginable to mortal beings.

Planars (characters from 2E Planescape) could learn, speak, and understand "Abyssal" (then named "Tanar'ric") - but would always be taunted by native speakers for speaking the language badly, and would always be confronted by concepts or usages of the language which are too Chaotic and too Evil to be understood.
2E also had a generic "Lower Planar Trade Cant" language - a sort of common tongue across the Lower Planes.
And 1E had "Alignment Tongues", one known by every Aligned character, not proper languages in themselves but more a sort of "secret" dialect which could communicate subtleties related to the Alignment. The "Chaotic Evil Alignment Tongue" might contain language elements diluted and debased from true Abyssal.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 28 Jul 2020 00:46:44
Go to Top of Page

Myth
Acolyte

Spain
15 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2020 :  02:16:31  Show Profile Send Myth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mr Ayric !
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2020 :  02:13:41  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd take a wild guess and say that Abyssal and Infernal are derivatives of the Black Speech of Mordor. Infernal has a strange rhythm to it, a sort of natural cant and rhythm that makes listeners sit up and pay attention, even with tears streaming down their cheeks and terrified sobs choking their throats.

Abyssal just makes you want to claw your ears off, reaching in to rip your own eardrums out just so you won't have to listen anymore.

Yugoloths would view Infernal and Abyssal as the mongrel offspring of 'true' Black Speech.

Edited by - LordofBones on 31 Jul 2020 02:14:05
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2020 :  20:41:36  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I'd take a wild guess and say that Abyssal and Infernal are derivatives of the Black Speech of Mordor. Infernal has a strange rhythm to it, a sort of natural cant and rhythm that makes listeners sit up and pay attention, even with tears streaming down their cheeks and terrified sobs choking their throats.

Abyssal just makes you want to claw your ears off, reaching in to rip your own eardrums out just so you won't have to listen anymore.

Yugoloths would view Infernal and Abyssal as the mongrel offspring of 'true' Black Speech.

Aaand this is now my head-canon.
Hella.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Archfey of Debauchery
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2020 :  21:57:51  Show Profile Send Archfey of Debauchery a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine it would be much like our human language. Different dialects, emphasis, and word sound, punctuated by clicks or tongues rolling or reverberating. French and English, Russian, chinese and japanese are smooth and soothing. German and arabic, Native American and Inuit are harsh and uninviting. I can imagine Abyssal language, depending on the layer in question would be different from the next. Though there is the Common abyssal language that allows all the infinite layers to communicate.

Some fallen Solars may speak elvish or Celestial, while True demon lords may only speak the infernal language of the lower Planes. I mean, do all abyssal creatures get created with "Common" as a born language?

I don't know.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2020 :  22:59:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fiends actually tend to be fully telepathic, all but the lowest and weakest forms can usually communicate mentally with any creature capable of language. Range is limited but it's still usually more than spoken ranges (unless some kind of weird local properties of a plane somehow change the ranges of speech and telepathy).

So their spoken language is obviously meant for communicating with non-telepathic beings. And the written form is useful for encouraging foolish wizards to invite fiends to other worlds.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000