Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Books from the original Baldur's Gate video game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  06:26:10  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

When people have played the various Baldur's Gate games, did you ever read the books that you could find in the game?

If you did, did you learn anything new that you don't remember reading elsewhere?
How long was the text in the books - short, longish, etc?

I think I may have once read one of the books and it dealt with the Dead Three and how they diced with Jergal, but I may be mis-remembering my lore - too many books over too long a period of time.

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  08:26:02  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the novels are infamously bad.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  09:42:17  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Definitely agree with you there - being an editor does not make you a writer.

I didnt mean the actual novels related to the video games, instead I meant that while playing the game you can come across lots of books. Some of these are plot quests, others just there.

I answered my question - https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Books

The link lists all the books you can come across AND contains the text in each book as well!

But back to my original question - while playing any of the Baldur's Gates games, did you ever read any of the books in game? btw there is a re Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul, aptly named "Book of the Dead Three".
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  23:10:10  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weird I just grabbed a book on the history of Sembia from that link:

"The Moonsea's (Dragon Sea's) mineral wealth was discovered by humankind at this time, and pressure began to grow for a trade road through the elven woods to make Sembia the world's gateway to all these riches. The Raven went alone as an envoy to the Elven Court. There, he asked the elders of their council to approve a road, open to humans, linking Sembia to the shores of the Dragon Sea"

I've never before heard the Moonsea called the Dragon Sea? Baldur's Gate is pretty recent relative to the OGB era; anyone know why they called it the Dragon Sea in the game when it's always been the Moonsea elsewhere?
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  23:32:51  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's just a direct sampling of text from the Sembia entry in the OGB (see the Cyclopedia of the Realms, p.74). "Dragon Sea" is mentioned a couple of times in that entry.

Also, from the 2E supplement The Moonsea;
"The Moonsea was once known as the Dragon Sea or Sea of Dragons due to the scores of dragons that would come to the sea to mate." (p.3)

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  23:50:10  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool!! I knew there had to be some source for that, thanks AJA.
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2020 :  04:46:23  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I liked the small excerpts on the Valley of the Gods and the Giants Last March. The Giants one was interesting as it gave a different take on the creation of the Sea of Fallen Stars.
Both excerpts originally came from the 2e book Faith & Avatars.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2020 :  15:41:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think I read all of them, and I don't recall any of them at the time not having something that I read in F&A or something else. That would have only been in BG, BG2, and there was some expansion I believe BG2 shadows of amn.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2020 :  15:59:36  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Understatement of the century!

The first one is bad, the second one is a little less bad (which doesn't mean it's anywhere near being good) and the final one, the less is said about the final one the better
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2020 :  21:17:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

Understatement of the century!

The first one is bad, the second one is a little less bad (which doesn't mean it's anywhere near being good) and the final one, the less is said about the final one the better

They made 3?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2020 :  17:55:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Weird I just grabbed a book on the history of Sembia from that link:

"The Moonsea's (Dragon Sea's) mineral wealth was discovered by humankind at this time, and pressure began to grow for a trade road through the elven woods to make Sembia the world's gateway to all these riches. The Raven went alone as an envoy to the Elven Court. There, he asked the elders of their council to approve a road, open to humans, linking Sembia to the shores of the Dragon Sea"

I've never before heard the Moonsea called the Dragon Sea? Baldur's Gate is pretty recent relative to the OGB era; anyone know why they called it the Dragon Sea in the game when it's always been the Moonsea elsewhere?

Its always been the Moonsea, and is only mentioned in one liners like this as the Dragon Sea, or the Sea of Dragons.

Its its usually the very first sentence - like in the Moonsea sourcebook - first line after the intro quote :P

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2020 :  18:34:20  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the actual topic - the books that came with the video games were for the most part just rulebooks - not much new lore to speak of. They were presented as Volo's Guides that focused on the locations and characters in the game. I think the second one - Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II might have been sold separately - someone with a better memory can confirm or refute. It was much better as far as lore goes - I think Ed actually wrote it, and it is very much like the other Volo's guides. Pdfs are readily available, I'd guess finding a paper copy harder. There were a couple unique items or spells described very briefly, but that's it.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 28 Jul 2020 18:35:19
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2020 :  18:42:51  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate 2 was the worst named sourcebook in D&D and Forgotten Realm's history.
Yes it had a write up on Athkatla and a map that maybe helped in the game, but it was just a wonderful book on cities and shops from Volo's point of view of Amn and Tethyr. It should have been called Volo's Guide to Amn or Volo's Guide to the Lands of Intrigue.

But some absolute douchebag of a marketing genius at TSR decided to name it the worst name ever to sell a few books to people who would mistakenly buy it as a hint book to BG2.

It SUCKS and makes me really angry to this day.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2020 :  20:00:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate 2 was the worst named sourcebook in D&D and Forgotten Realm's history.
Yes it had a write up on Athkatla and a map that maybe helped in the game, but it was just a wonderful book on cities and shops from Volo's point of view of Amn and Tethyr. It should have been called Volo's Guide to Amn or Volo's Guide to the Lands of Intrigue.

But some absolute douchebag of a marketing genius at TSR decided to name it the worst name ever to sell a few books to people who would mistakenly buy it as a hint book to BG2.

It SUCKS and makes me really angry to this day.

I cannot disagree with any of this. I was disappointed to not have any Baldur's Gate info in the book.

The cover art had issues, too -- neither elf could have put that arrow through Volo's shirt from that position, and the one with the drawn arrow looks like he's aiming at the opposite side of the tree. The second elf looks like he's gazing past Volo, as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000