Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fun Magical Experiments
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thuumhammer
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  20:37:50  Show Profile Send Thuumhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey everyone. I'm running a 5e campaign set in 1372DR, primarily focused around Waterdeep. The party has just finished Lost Mine of Phandelver, and is on its way to Waterdeep. They've been given a homebrewed copy of "Volo's Guide to Waterdeep" to acquaint themselves with the city. In Waterdeep they'll end up running into Volo, who is currently working on his new book "All Things Magical."

I'd like to have him give out numerous sidequests to the party where they need to field test a number of ridiculous magical theories & experiments, usually based on hilariously inaccurate premises. I'm just having trouble brainstorming what those experiments and inaccurate premises could be. Does anyone have some fun ideas? If anyone's played Fallout 3, I'm thinking of the types of quests Moira Brown gives out for her Wasteland Survival Guide.

Currently living in a version of 1372DR that operates under 5e mechanics. Strange indeed!

Edited by - Thuumhammer on 01 Jul 2020 20:39:00

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  22:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gather ingredients for a potion he’s sure works (or a Grand Elixir knockoff). It’s cliche but effective, particularly when the concoction has whatever desired effects you dream up.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 01 Jul 2020 22:09:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  22:29:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mix it up with components...

If a fireball spell requires bat guano, what happens if you use the -- ahem -- guano from a werebat? How about from a flying squirrel?

Could you use a tree frog instead of a spider for spider climb?

If you tweaked the components correctly, could you make a stinking cloud that instead acted as an air freshener?

Or, to be really goofy,

Can you modify Snilloc's Cream Pie to create a magical pie that automatically hits the target in the face? (not just hits the target, but specifically, in the face!)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Jul 2020 22:34:15
Go to Top of Page

Thuumhammer
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  20:53:26  Show Profile Send Thuumhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas! I ended up running the stinking cloud idea - Volo had heard that if you swapped in Yaru crystals (my own invention) it would create a beautifully scented, glittering purple cloud. It worked, but unfortunately the Yaru crystals also summoned a salamander and some fire snakes, leading to a fun battle.

I'll keep you posted on subsequent quests, should the party decide to keep assisting Volo with his book.

Currently living in a version of 1372DR that operates under 5e mechanics. Strange indeed!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000