Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Psychic damage
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  23:01:03  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can Psychic damage be a thing in 3.5ed? If so, how would you go about it?

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  23:36:42  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe like an Intelligence ability drain, where reaching 0 leaves you brain dead?
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  00:51:37  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Willpower is included in WIS, I would do a sum of INT and WIS as a person's "Psychic HPs". Do 0 as unconsciousness and if you hit -10, feebleminded with only a full wish restoring you to normal (i.e. you can't just heal it).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  01:56:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is pretty easy, simply take the spells from 4E and 5E that do psychic damage and port them over to 3E. I'd say as a rule of thumb, any Illusion spells that deal damage (ie. Phantasmal Killer) could instantly get the Psychic damage type.

Also, any spells that force a Will save or take damage that doesn't already have a type could be Psychic damage as it ultimately affects the mind of the target.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  05:24:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells I'd also add the Psychic tagline to:

Cures of the Putrid Husk (Book of Vile Darkness)
Nightmare (Player's Handbook)
Phantasmal Assailants (Spell Compendium)
Phantasmal Strangler (Complete Mage)
Weird (Player's Handbook)

These spells all deal some form of damage that is untyped which you could easily add the Psychic type to. I haven't done an exhaustive search of all non-typed damage spells but anything that's of the Illusion or Enchantment school or has the Phantasmal, Fear, or Mind-Affecting sub-schools could easily be added as well.

Also, you could whole-sale port over spells/powers from 4th Edition or the spells from 5th Edition. For 4E one's they're pretty simple if you keep in mind that it's a 3 to 2 ratio for character levels. So a spell like Mesmeric Hold (Wizard encounter 13) is probably equivalent a 4th level spell. For further clarity:

Mesmeric Hold
Enchantment (Compulsion)[Language-Dependant, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time 1 standard action
Range: Short (25 ft. + 5 ft./level)
Targets: Up to three creatures, no two of which can be more than 10 ft. apart.
Duration 1d3 rounds
Saving Throw Will negates
Spell Resistance Yes

You command your foes to remain still as pain erupts into their mind, holding them in place with your gaze.

You look at the subjects and bend their will, however slightly, to stop their movement for a short time. On a failed saving throw, each target takes 4d6 Psychic damage and its speed becomes zero for the duration of the spell. A successful saving throw negates the damage and penalty to movement. If only one creature is targeted, the DC of the spell increases +2.

Something like this would go a bit of a long way in terms of making unique spells for arcane classes to build up Psychic damage options.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000