Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Roleplaying Manshoon?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  04:11:38  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Van Richten gave us the concept of vampires getting more powerful, with age, and gaining the ability to withstand sunlight.

Not sure Vampshoon has been around long enough for that, though. Given his access to magical goodies, and his own not-inconsiderable spellcasting, I think it's more likely he has some item that allows him to do the sunlight routine, at least for a short time.

There's actually an answer in Libris Mortis. Liquid Night is a potion that protects daylight-sensitive undead from the sun's effects for an hour.
Go to Top of Page

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  17:55:55  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely recall Vampshoon owning an item referred to as the bloodmask of Manshoon, which I believe allowed him to walk in daylight. It may have been in a 4e supplement.

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2022 :  19:07:53  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3/3.5E time (1372ish and onward) the Night Masks were developing and testing the Night's Mantle spell, which would protect the recipient from any harmful effects of exposure to sunlight. This is detailed in the 3/3.5E Lords of Darkness supplement.
Go to Top of Page

King Libertine
Seeker

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2022 :  07:34:16  Show Profile Send King Libertine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
which Manshoon? Vampire? Undermountain? Far east Manshoon?

Any Manshoon should be played by a DM as a ruthless, unforgivable, masterful leader with a sardonic disposition.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2022 :  23:03:12  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think it's more likely he has some item that allows him to do the sunlight routine, at least for a short time.

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

There's actually an answer in Libris Mortis. Liquid Night is a potion that protects daylight-sensitive undead from the sun's effects for an hour.

There's already a spell in AD&D2 era close enough to work as a benchmark: Gloom from Cult of the Dragon:
quote:
Gloom (Wiz 4; Alteration)
Range: 60 yards+10 yards/level
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 4
Duration: 1 turn/level
Area of Effect: 120-foot radius
Saving Throw: None
This spell weakens light sources of any kind in the area of effect. Light equal to daylight in brightness or intensity (including continual light) is reduced to a deep twilight gloom. Torches and magical weapons illuminate only a 5-foot radius, and lamps, lanterns, and other magical light sources illuminate only a 10-foot radius. The spell covers a 120-foot radius and can be made mobile if cast on an object.
Light-based combat penalties for creatures of darkness are negated within the area of effect, and monsters that cannot abide the touch of daylight (vampires, for instance) are fully capable of acting under the veil of gloom. Light-based spells and combat effects are halved in effect when conducted under the effects of gloom; for example, a sunburst from a wand of illumination is reduced from 6d6 points of damage to 3d6 points of damage against undead.
The material component for this spell is a special incense prepared by the caster.
After fighting dragon cultists Manshoon probably should have it... and if this instance of him doesn't, at least he knows whom he would have to mug for it.
It's a good start for R&D, and since all that's needed is to reduce range/AoE to personal/caster, the result would be of a lower level. Unless he bumps it with greater duration and/or extra functionality.
I'd eyeball it as necessary minimum of Wiz 3 or even 4 for the effect of this strength (it's definitely more than what L2 Mist Magic does to fire effects).
So, -1 for ranged -> touch and -1 for AoE reduced, +1 for turns -> hours, +1 for M component of moderate cost -> trivial and cheap (a pinch of soot or a piece of obsidian?), and we are back on Wiz 4.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 13 Aug 2022 23:26:50
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2023 :  07:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a serious level, I'd give Manshoon the following qualities:

1. He's cold blooded

2. He's not going to betray the PCs if they make a deal - he's not as honorable as Fzoul (who is a man of his word even if he's a monster). But he's someone who became the Merchant King of Wizards because he generally abides by the deals he makes.

3. He's erudite, calm, and practical

4. He's as likely to ally with the PCs against the Thayans and other evil factions as fight the good guys. After all, only one man can rule the world.

5. He's the kind of guy who should have a Shakesperian gravitas.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Vinzor Burrow
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2023 :  17:42:37  Show Profile Send Vinzor Burrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's a micromanager who leads from behind.

Signed,
Vinzor Burrow of Chavyondat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000