Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  14:09:00  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Just because you can use the Realms for horror doesn't mean it's a good fit. They created an entire separate setting for the horror stuff -- let's keep it there.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Many of the fictional scenes and lore details I’ve read in Realms publications over the years are quite horrific. This includes cosmic-evil horror (a la “At the Mountains of Madness,” which seems to be one of the new adventure’s inspirations) and body horror (a la “The Thing,” another obvious touchstone for the new adventure). Both styles of horror are prominent in works by numerous FR authors, including Ed Greenwood.

I sympathize with the desire to keep the Realms distinct from other settings, but that doesn’t mean only one kind of story should be told there. Quite the opposite! Just because horror has less frequently been the dominant tone for adventure modules in the Realms doesn’t mean it’s a bad fit for the setting.

And anyway, there are precedents for FR horror modules going all the way back, for example Nightmare Keep. Of course there will be high fantasy mixed with the horror tropes here too. The Realms isn’t as narrow as you seem to suggest.

Will the new adventure be any good? That remains to be seen. Is it thematically or generically unsuitable for the Realms? Absolutely not.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  16:29:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say I've read all of the Realms material in existence, but none of the stuff I've read -- including most of Ed's stuff -- had horror in it.

You are correct that the Realms has room for lots of types of stories... But that doesn't mean that another genre should just be stuffed in there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Jun 2020 16:30:46
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  16:58:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lookatroopa

Funnily enough, it wouldn't be the first horror-themed adventure set in Icewind Dale (see Dungeon 220's King of the Wolves).

Thanks for the heads up. I don't recall that one and will go take a look. To note, the editorial in that issue is from the author and in it he says that the story concept came from Chris Perkins... and since Chris is mentioned as doing quotes in some of the articles about Rime of the Frostmaiden there may be links.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  23:01:05  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that the Forgotten Realms has been a "kitchen sink" style setting for some decades now - including all manner of cultures that are reminiscent of Vikings, European Knights, Wizards, Shamanistic magic, Ninja and Samurai, Spirit and Land Magic, Psionic and Far Realms weird science (including Spelljammer), portals to other worlds, Pirates (both Sea and Sky) that use Firearms - I don't see how yet another genre like Horror can't find a nichè within the diverse setting.

Places like Damara and Vaasa are exciting and "gothic" in style plus have the Carpathian style similar to old Wallachia/Transylvania. Easy place to put classic horrors such as Vampires, Werewolves, and Liches with hordes of the Living Dead. Thay is another place that offers a similar "undead" centric theme to use for a horror game. I've always liked the frontier areas for survival horror type games - including the North, the Moonsea, and the further reaches of Cormyr myself.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  23:17:11  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Considering that the Forgotten Realms has been a "kitchen sink" style setting for some decades now - including all manner of cultures that are reminiscent of Vikings, European Knights, Wizards, Shamanistic magic, Ninja and Samurai, Spirit and Land Magic, Psionic and Far Realms weird science (including Spelljammer), portals to other worlds, Pirates (both Sea and Sky) that use Firearms - I don't see how yet another genre like Horror can't find a nichè within the diverse setting.

Places like Damara and Vaasa are exciting and "gothic" in style plus have the Carpathian style similar to old Wallachia/Transylvania. Easy place to put classic horrors such as Vampires, Werewolves, and Liches with hordes of the Living Dead. Thay is another place that offers a similar "undead" centric theme to use for a horror game. I've always liked the frontier areas for survival horror type games - including the North, the Moonsea, and the further reaches of Cormyr myself.

Funnily enough, one of the stories I hold dearest in the Realms is The Rose Window, a horror short from one of the "Realms of..." anthologies.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  10:58:45  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You gotta remember the simplicity of the design team heads nowadays.
"Alice in wonderland in the underdark" > Out of the abyss
"At the mountains of madness in the icewind dale" >this

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2020 :  23:44:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Three of the four Citadels series books I'd say was horror, with Sentinelspire being the exception. All of the Dungeons series books. Bloodwalk and Frostfell from the Wizards series definitely could be as well.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

RealmProtector
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2020 :  00:10:24  Show Profile Send RealmProtector a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Three of the four Citadels series books I'd say was horror, with Sentinelspire being the exception. All of the Dungeons series books. Bloodwalk and Frostfell from the Wizards series definitely could be as well.

As well as the Cleric Quintet, from the Chaos Curse to the Vampire that was a great horror series! Also a couple short stories in the anthologies were defiantly horror thinking of Jander Sunstar. Horror in the realms is fine by me, I for one will be picking this book up if anything to read how they wove the horror into the story. I'm a huge COC fan anyway.

They say that life's a carousel spinning back you gotta ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's Heaven and Hell
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2020 :  03:37:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess we have different definitions of horror. I can only think of one or two things that I've read that I would even consider close to being horror.

That said, though, just because the setting has had horror tales before doesn't make it a good fit. We also had Once Around the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Jun 2020 03:38:23
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  21:43:01  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be great for the game to take place in Sossal and the Great Glacier instead, seeing Auril is worshiped there visibly, and has influence there, with Iyraclea being specifically active there.

Especially that Sossal needs to be more fleshed out.

Edited by - Baltas on 01 Jul 2020 22:03:00
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  22:28:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonder if they'll try to link this adventure and the chult one via the ring of winter and artus cimber

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2020 :  00:11:19  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Wonder if they'll try to link this adventure and the chult one via the ring of winter and artus cimber

He was an Exarch of Auril’s back in 4e, which also suggested she might be on some kind of path to being less evil.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2020 :  00:29:48  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu
He was an Exarch of Auril’s back in 4e, which also suggested she might be on some kind of path to being less evil.

From what it seems this plotline was abandoned, with Auril and the Queen of Air and Darkness being unmerged in canon from what it seems, with Ed suggesting the Queen of Air and Darkness possibly impersonated Auril when asked about these retcons, Ed himself thinking they will be established as just working together:
https://twitter.com/CineastBenRowe/status/1228217386689413120
https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1228370295649599488

As part of the storyline of Auril being less malicious, was with Silvanus destroying the black gem of Tharizdun that was corrupting Auril - without it, she was still evil, but not pure evil, and redeemable.

Although a very slim alternate possibility, that this is a misdirection, and Auril lacking the Black Diamond in her symbol (which she still had in 4E), might mean she indeed is free of Tharizdun/The Dark God's influence, and that other info is a misdirection from WoTC.

With Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden possibly being about fully freeing Auril from Tharizdun's/The Dark God's influence with Artus Cimber's help.
With the horror aspect will be from servants of Tharizdun - and Auril will possibly try to free him, or possibly take (some of) his power for herself (like Asmodeus).

Again though, it is a slim possibility, I think.

Edited by - Baltas on 02 Jul 2020 00:48:30
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2020 :  01:17:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, so if Auril had actually disappeared during the spellplague and we ACTUALLY had the Raven Queen in her spot during the spellplague to the sundering rough timeframe, then Auril is yet another "returning" god along with Talos.

I'm kind of chalking that up on my board of "if that's true, where did Auril go... is she available to have been in Abeir?".

I do want to keep the lore of Aurilandur though, because I'd love to play with the storyline that Aurilandur (as Auril) was the frost sprite queen, meanwhile there is another god, Rellavar Danuvien, who is "the frost sprite king". Canonically, Rellavar has never been mentioned in FR I don't believe, but the idea going through my head is that the two were involved somehow (as in maybe they were lovers, maybe she's his mother, maybe she's his sister, maybe he just overthrew her, etc...). To note, Rellavar is mentioned in MToF, so he is canon for 5e as an elven deity.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2020 :  03:14:00  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, even if the Queen of Air and Darkness and Auril are separate, it would be neat to keep the Aurilandür backstory, seeing how it even fit with Auril's rather "fey" behavior, and her being an embodiment of nature, as many fey are, and even being noted as exiled from Arborea. And how it actually developed her more than just (seemingly/falsely) being the the Queen of Air and Darkness, seeing as you mentioned it elaborated on her connection to Rellavar Danuvien.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  21:14:05  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked Brian R. James about Auril, and he revealed some very interesting details:
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Baltas asks a great question about the true nature of Auril, the Frostmaiden. During my time as a Forgotten Realms designer I attempted to weave plot threads into lore that would be slowly revealed over time. The redemption of Auril was one such thread. Sadly, WotC moved in a different direction and I was unable to deliver the full story as I had envisioned. The short version is this:

For the first time in several millennia Auril is now free from the corrupting influence of the Queen of Air and Darkness. The two were once separate entities, then conjoined as one, and are now separate again. After regaining her freedom and true identity following the events of the Stormstar Requiem, Aurilandür is now aligned with Silvanus who is aiding the Frostmaiden in repairing her relationship with the Seelie Court of Stars.

Clearly, WotC is moving forward with Auril being evil, as shown in the previews for the upcoming adventure Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. In my view, the antagonist of that adventure is in fact the Queen of Air and Darkness, now falsely masquerading as Auril while seeking a new host to corrupt with the Black Diamond.

quote:

quote:
Queen of Air and Darkness

The oldest myths and legends tell of a race of vile entities that once presided over the remains of a dying universe. These immortal beings of evil incarnate had drained their realm of all life and power. So it was that in the last age of their race, these entities breached the barrier between their realm and ours, pushing shards of unspeakable evil through the fissure between realities. With the power of the shards, they hoped to corrupt the most powerful beings of our cosmos into enacting their vile schemes.

Eons passed as the scions of elemental evil slowly succumbed to oblivion. When only a handful of their kind remained, the plan they had enacted so long ago finally came to fruition. A divinity from our realm, capricious and curious to a fault, found and took hold of the shard of evil. To the archfey Aurilandür, the shard appeared as a black ten-faceted jewel, looming entropy reflected in its soulless gloaming.

This unwise act opened the archfey’s thoughts and essence to the vile entities trapped in their collapsing universe. The link from the Black Diamond corrupted the fey goddess in an instant, transforming the once cheerful and benevolent Frost Sprite Queen into a cold and hateful husk of her former self. Wretched beyond any hope of her own physical death, Aurilandür retreated into the dark subconscious of the entity that had subsumed her—the Queen of Air and Darkness.
—Demonomicon of Iggwilv

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  21:51:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

I asked Brian R. James about Auril, and he revealed some very interesting details:
quote:

Baltas asks a great question about the true nature of Auril, the Frostmaiden. During my time as a Forgotten Realms designer I attempted to weave plot threads into lore that would be slowly revealed over time. The redemption of Auril was one such thread. Sadly, WotC moved in a different direction and I was unable to deliver the full story as I had envisioned. The short version is this:

For the first time in several millennia Auril is now free from the corrupting influence of the Queen of Air and Darkness. The two were once separate entities, then conjoined as one, and are now separate again. After regaining her freedom and true identity following the events of the Stormstar Requiem, Aurilandür is now aligned with Silvanus who is aiding the Frostmaiden in repairing her relationship with the Seelie Court of Stars.

Clearly, WotC is moving forward with Auril being evil, as shown in the previews for the upcoming adventure Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden. In my view, the antagonist of that adventure is in fact the Queen of Air and Darkness, now falsely masquerading as Auril while seeking a new host to corrupt with the Black Diamond.

quote:

quote:

The oldest myths and legends tell of a race of vile entities that once presided over the remains of a dying universe. These immortal beings of evil incarnate had drained their realm of all life and power. So it was that in the last age of their race, these entities breached the barrier between their realm and ours, pushing shards of unspeakable evil through the fissure between realities. With the power of the shards, they hoped to corrupt the most powerful beings of our cosmos into enacting their vile schemes.

Eons passed as the scions of elemental evil slowly succumbed to oblivion. When only a handful of their kind remained, the plan they had enacted so long ago finally came to fruition. A divinity from our realm, capricious and curious to a fault, found and took hold of the shard of evil. To the archfey Aurilandür, the shard appeared as a black ten-faceted jewel, looming entropy reflected in its soulless gloaming.

This unwise act opened the archfey’s thoughts and essence to the vile entities trapped in their collapsing universe. The link from the Black Diamond corrupted the fey goddess in an instant, transforming the once cheerful and benevolent Frost Sprite Queen into a cold and hateful husk of her former self. Wretched beyond any hope of her own physical death, Aurilandür retreated into the dark subconscious of the entity that had subsumed her—the Queen of Air and Darkness.
—Demonomicon of Iggwilv

Works for me as an idea (that its now actually the QoA&D using Auril's name), especially if there's some thing wherein she's got to FIND someone to be her representative (because I picture the QoA&D like I view some other deities... they're more like a possessing entity that takes over another god as a parasite and without a "host" they soon lose the ability to harvest worship energy). I will be surprised though if WotC does do that though. Of course, if they DID do that, I'd love to see the use of Aurilandur as a frost sprite and avariel deity (which would also entail developing true frost sprites).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2020 :  11:09:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

—Demonomicon of Iggwilv

Coming back to this conversation to possibly bring in some other scribes' views.

I want to thank you Baltas and Brian, because my eyes had glossed over these statements in the above.... and they open up a LOT of possibilities related to some things that both myself and Markustay have said in the past (to give credit, Markustay had the original idea). He thought that the original Queen of Air and Darkness, whom you never "see" her actual form... she's a malevolent feeling from darkness on a throne... should actually "infect" other powerful immortal beings. He came up with something that he called "the Regalia of Winter", and it would be all of these items that would be used to enslave powerful beings to her servitude.

In the above it would seem that the black diamond is linked to a grouping of items that are shards of pure evil (much like the one that Tharizdun used to create the abyss). Thus, one might tie the story of Talos and his one eye to this theory as well... as the blackness under his eyepatch might be because he (as Kozah) became infected by a similar object. Similarly, the story that Gruumsh IS Talos might be something where a being such as Corellon actually used one of these artifacts of pure evil against Gruumsh to make him lose his eye (and thus the story of Corellon and Gruumsh's is told from the viewpoint of Corellon).

This also opens up some interesting ideas such as … Telos, the lord of Felliron…. what is it that the Warlock Knights of Vaasa are actually mining? Some other primordial entities like Entropy as being a portion of Pandorym, which also has ties to some strange crystals you can mine down in Durpar.

It can also open up a basic question of what exactly were the "dawn titans". Were they the "primordials" or were they beings POSSESSING the primordials.... and were many of the "Primordials" actually dragons. So, in essence, the "dawn titans" had "dragon mounts", and somehow after the splitting of worlds the dragons "cast down" their masters and the "dawn titans" went to sleep. Could it be simply that the dragons cast off the entities that were riding their consciousness? Were the more elementally aligned beings easier to take over because of Tharizdun's actions to stab a shard of pure evil in the elemental plane... and was the "movement" of the abyss and the spellplague and the coming together of these two world all related to this core change.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 26 Jul 2020 11:17:21
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2020 :  23:24:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was looking at dragon+ and read this about the upcoming thing. Its talking about fighting with Auril in her 3 forms

We wanted to have the sense that you’re fighting Auril backwards in time. Her first form is called the cold crone. It’s this old, hunched, tripartite creature that combines the features of a goat, a wolf, and an owl. Her middle form is called the brittle maiden—a svelte, angular, feminine creature made of jagged ice. Her third form is called winter’s womb, resembling a radiant diamond that contains her divine spark. It represents Auril in her most primal form.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2020 :  23:33:41  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm:
- the cold crone. It’s this old, hunched, tripartite creature that combines the features of a goat, a wolf, and an owl. - Cegilune?
- Her middle form is called the brittle maiden—a svelte, angular, feminine creature made of jagged ice. - Aurilandür?
- winter’s womb, resembling a radiant diamond that contains her divine spark. It represents Auril in her most primal form. - the Black Diamond/Shard of Pure Evil/The Queen of Air and Darkness herself(itself?).

Edited by - Baltas on 31 Jul 2020 23:34:25
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  01:14:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventure requires you to fight Auril ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  01:43:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm:
- the cold crone. It’s this old, hunched, tripartite creature that combines the features of a goat, a wolf, and an owl. - Cegilune?
- Her middle form is called the brittle maiden—a svelte, angular, feminine creature made of jagged ice. - Aurilandür?
- winter’s womb, resembling a radiant diamond that contains her divine spark. It represents Auril in her most primal form. - the Black Diamond/Shard of Pure Evil/The Queen of Air and Darkness herself(itself?).

Yeah, I was trying to piece that concept together myself, but honestly, I am not sure they went that far. The part that surprises me most is the "radiant" diamond.... so, shining bright. If its travelling backwards in time too, that just kind of doesn't fit that that's her at her most basic if that's also the black diamond.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  01:44:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, in three forms. That someone on Twitter described as WotC Freudian views on women,

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  04:36:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Wolf and owl, OK sure, wolves and snowy owls are cool imagery for ice and snow. Goats though? Goats? Sure, mountain goats can live in pretty cold temperatures but they're not cool like wolves and owls.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2020 :  13:10:34  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The adventure requires you to fight Auril ...

-- George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Yeah, in three forms. That someone on Twitter described as WotC Freudian views on women,

Hmm, I think JRPGs, and up to a level computer and console RPGs are an influence for an idea to "fight a god", and the multi-fazed, multiform nature of it.

With Freudian nature, I think though the battle with Auril is indeed influenced by the idea of the Three Faces of Eve/the Triplicate goddess.

I also expanded on it though possibly having a deeper sense (ie the multiple hosts of the Black Diamond).

I guess though this battle would also male more sense lorewise, if it followed Brian R, James suggestion the "Auril" is in reality the Queen of Air and Darkness/The Black Diamond, weakened without a host.
quote:

Yeah, I was trying to piece that concept together myself, but honestly, I am not sure they went that far. The part that surprises me most is the "radiant" diamond.... so, shining bright. If its travelling backwards in time too, that just kind of doesn't fit that that's her at her most basic if that's also the black diamond.

Well with the Radiant Diamond...it's interesting black colored objects, can give the brightest light - the sun has black body, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

(Although I also might give WoTC to much credit XD And black body radiation being a result of heat, is cold is just ultimately the lack of heat but still...)

quote:

-Wolf and owl, OK sure, wolves and snowy owls are cool imagery for ice and snow. Goats though? Goats? Sure, mountain goats can live in pretty cold temperatures but they're not cool like wolves and owls.

I think the goat elements, are due to the "chimera-crone" form of Auril, being inspired by Cailleach - an Gaelic hag goddess of winter, associated with goats (and "horned beasts"), as well as owls and wolves.

Edited by - Baltas on 01 Aug 2020 15:36:23
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  15:23:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snowstar Shuriken of the Frostmaiden
The White Rime Assassins of the frozen north can disappear right in front of your very eyes during a blizzard even if only inches away. Their command of ice, wind, and snow is only matched by the coldness in their hearts. Perhaps most well known for their signature shuriken, shaped like snowflakes, these weapons are known to hit with a critical punch enhanced by the force of the wind and the chilling cold which digs into flesh and bone.

Snowstar Shuriken of the Frostmaiden (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4573308) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  17:02:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The White Rime Assassins of the frozen north can disappear right in front of your very eyes during a blizzard even if only inches away. Their command of ice, wind, and snow is only matched by the coldness in their hearts. Perhaps most well known for their signature shuriken, shaped like snowflakes, these weapons are known to hit with a critical punch enhanced by the force of the wind and the chilling cold which digs into flesh and bone.

Snowstar Shuriken of the Frostmaiden (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4573308) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

-Very cool.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  19:38:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amulets of the Frost Sprite Court (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4573554) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  19:47:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-Very cool.

Thanks, this is an instance where art drove creation. I was thinking how much some snow flakes looked like throwing stars, then I pictured a "snow ninja" and thought... well, they COULD be hard to spot in a snow storm wearing white.... and now we see how to put some icy monks into the realms, possibly even counters to the monastery of the yellow rose.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  00:34:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In my own campaign, in the near future I'm going to be sending the PCs to the arctic and they'll be encountering some snowy fey creatures...I might just use those throwing stars as something they can do.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page