Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Vil Adanrath words - anyone have a list?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2020 :  19:30:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just curious, because a lot of the Vil Adanrath words seem to be something that could be passed onto other areas of the realms because they are tied to the Feywild…. has anyone made a list of words that are common to the stuff from Chosen of Nendawen & Frost fell? Hoping that maybe Mark Sehestedt might actually be on here and he might have a list that he kept for himself.

BTW, not just interested in Lythari words... the hobgoblin language (such as guhnin) was also interesting.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2020 :  00:52:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've tried to contact Mark Sehestedt a number of times with no success.

I think the FR Wiki has the words as part of their Elvish language section.

Basically, they are Native American words transposed onto the Realms, so I'm not a big fan.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2020 :  09:02:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've tried to contact Mark Sehestedt a number of times with no success.

I think the FR Wiki has the words as part of their Elvish language section.

Basically, they are Native American words transposed onto the Realms, so I'm not a big fan.

-- George Krashos

didn't know that. Are you positive of that? I don't actually have too much of a problem with that, as basically much of the realms is simply English transposed to it. I know there's a LOT of different native American languages, so I'd wonder which one and if there's any kind of dictionary. I just searched for the first word that I recalled and I don't see it when I google it is why I ask.

However, thank you for the notes about Mark being hard to reach. I was hoping, but since I hadn't actually seen him.... Still, sometimes, I know people may use aliases.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2020 :  23:50:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Everything that was of their dialect in the Elven Dictionary that I compiled on CK is denoted as being of the Vil Adanrath/Eastern Lythari dialect. For what it's worth, I only read the first book of that series. Maybe the second too, honestly it's been so long I don't remember and the books didn't really stand out too much in the years since. For what it's worth, they were all completely foreign and had no connection to established Elven at all (which, I guess in context of who those Lythari were, would make sense).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 30 May 2020 23:53:18
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  01:36:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Everything that was of their dialect in the Elven Dictionary that I compiled on CK is denoted as being of the Vil Adanrath/Eastern Lythari dialect. For what it's worth, I only read the first book of that series. Maybe the second too, honestly it's been so long I don't remember and the books didn't really stand out too much in the years since. For what it's worth, they were all completely foreign and had no connection to established Elven at all (which, I guess in context of who those Lythari were, would make sense).

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if those Lythari and the Poscadari elves of Anchorome don't have more of a link than the vil adanrath have to any Faerunian elves. That's partly why I was interested in the words, because that may explain partly why the elves of evermeet have problems talking to them. Then again, I've also had other theories on that matter as well regarding a curse.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  22:36:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if those Lythari and the Poscadari elves of Anchorome don't have more of a link than the vil adanrath have to any Faerunian elves. That's partly why I was interested in the words, because that may explain partly why the elves of evermeet have problems talking to them. Then again, I've also had other theories on that matter as well regarding a curse.

-It could very well be that their language is closer to Sylvan, or some other derivative, Elven.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2020 :  12:01:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-It could very well be that their language is closer to Sylvan, or some other derivative, Elven.

Yes, my thought is that they are ancient lythari - from a time before the moon and gold elves came from Faerie and that they speak their own version of sylvan.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2020 :  14:58:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:

Yes, my thought is that they are ancient lythari - from a time before the moon and gold elves came from Faerie and that they speak their own version of sylvan.

-- George Krashos

I don't want to go there, because they're described as unnaturally tall and coming from a land of snow, so I'm picturing them as snow elves that ventured south (the Poscadari that is). However, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had Lythari amongst their numbers that possibly came cross in any myriad of ways. Of course, I also picture a lot of avariel in anchorome too. All far in the norht mind you.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2020 :  22:10:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'm talking about them in the Endless Wastes. There's no way in the world mine have ever gone anywhere near Anchorome or have any ties in that regard. They are a one-off aberration of the Realms.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  07:51:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

Just curious what led you to that belief as to Lythari? It seems more like Damaran to me, the way some of those words come across (very Hungarian sounding), such as: Amrulugek.

I'd love to hear more about this!

Best regads,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  11:45:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Krashos,

Just curious what led you to that belief as to Lythari? It seems more like Damaran to me, the way some of those words come across (very Hungarian sounding), such as: Amrulugek.

I'd love to hear more about this!

Best regads,

Considering we have been privy to a total of about eight Damaran words in published Realmslore to date, I'm not sure anything you hear can "sound Damaran" ...

And to explain, in the "Acknowledgements" section in the precursor book 'Frostfell', the author thanks fellow Dan Bassingthwaite for giving him a Tuscarora dictionary. The Tuscarora are Native American tribe of the Iroquoian language family.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  17:30:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

I appreciate the information about the 'Frostfell' book. I was going off of the sounds of the words, admittedly. The inflection, upon sounding some of the names from sites such as, https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Damaran_language, made it appear to me to be related to something such as Hungarian. The inflectional morphology is heavier on the prefixing it seems, and that lent credence (in my mind at least) to the language being more from that Baltic/Uralic base. When I looked up Damaran it said it was Baltic in root, so that's where I was pulling from. I'm no expert on language though, so it's great that you shared that bit from the acknowledgement section of 'Frostfell': thanks again.

I'm really interested in that too, as far as what he pulled the language selections from. I'm going to see if I can pick his brain on that more via Twitter, perhaps.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000