Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Hlaungadath
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bardo
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2020 :  19:35:41  Show Profile Send Bardo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone! I was searching the forums for information on Hlaungadath and found this thread: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20974&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=Hlaungadath. I thought it would be better to open a new topic concerning this specific flying enclave rather than posting there.

So: I'm running a 2nd edition campaign (strongly homebrewed on many mechanics) with level 12-14 players running around searching the blades of Ochir Naal (as seen in Sea of Fallen Stars). I decided to put one of them in the Tears of Selūne and long story short I find Hlaungadath as the perfect place for them to find a spelljamming ship with helm and introduce the Spelljammer setting to them, they are in Cormyr.
 Anauroch module gives plenty of information for running a campaign there but sadly there is little on Hlaungadath, so I'm asking for suggestions specifically on that location. Where could I find a map that I could use regarding a Netheril flying enclave? (being Hlaungadath mostly intact)I have searched here and there but nothing popped out. I know there are lamias and slaves for them but I would like a proper map or stuff I could adapt in order to run the place as a dungeon. I'd like to make them confront a phaerimm, they are heavily geared and have powerful resources. Would it be a good idea to put a phaerimm in charge of the city, commanding the lamias?

Any suggestion will be welcome. Thanks!

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2020 :  23:08:32  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a map of sorts of Karsus' Enclave in the Netheril: Empire of Magic box set. Each enclave was unique but that one should be useful to at least get an idea of what one would look like.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2020 :  23:42:30  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first I've heard about specifically Lamias being involved in this context. What's the story there?
@Patt

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Bardo
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  10:18:09  Show Profile Send Bardo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

This is the first I've heard about specifically Lamias being involved in this context. What's the story there?
@Patt

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Hlaungadath "The ruins of the city were inhabited by lamias with their thralls: manticores, asabi, and gargoyles."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  12:37:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out FR13 Anauroch.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bardo
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  14:28:56  Show Profile Send Bardo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Check out FR13 Anauroch.

From my initial post: "Anauroch module gives plenty of information for running a campaign there but sadly there is little on Hlaungadath"

I'm asking for further stuff beyond Anauroch.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  14:56:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In addition to FR13 - Anauroch, pages 32, 63-64, there are brief mentions of the ruined city in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3e), page 102, Lost Empires of Faerun, page 105, and Anauroch: Empire of Shade, page 135, but not significantly more info than found in FR13.

In Crown of Eaerlann (not yet released, fan-work of mine), I include a lamia noble from Hlaungadath who has been involuntarily relocated to the High Forest.

In another fan project I'm working on, I mention that the Low Road (of Delzoun) reached Hlaungadath, as well as other cities of northwest Netheril.

Note also the references to Annarath and Bhaulaea in FR13, page 66, and the references to an unnamed city in the write-up of Iymrith in Wyrms of the North and Dragons of Faerun, page 43. Currently I have linked Iymrith to Annarath, but I'm not sure that works yet given some other stuff I'm considering.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  16:33:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just my two cents on the low road, but given that a few sources say it was made by netheril (i reckon only the bit under netheril was made by netheril), it only makes sense as a useful construction if the low road extended all the way to Seventon (geographic barriers mean that an underground road would greatly reduce travel time for trade goods from delzoun).

I wonder what the other project is. And nothing you or george come up with is ever fanon. You guys are the new canon because you are the only ones who care about the continuity of the setting

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Bardo
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2020 :  10:09:26  Show Profile Send Bardo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

In addition to FR13 - Anauroch, pages 32, 63-64, there are brief mentions of the ruined city in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3e), page 102, Lost Empires of Faerun, page 105, and Anauroch: Empire of Shade, page 135, but not significantly more info than found in FR13.

In Crown of Eaerlann (not yet released, fan-work of mine), I include a lamia noble from Hlaungadath who has been involuntarily relocated to the High Forest.

In another fan project I'm working on, I mention that the Low Road (of Delzoun) reached Hlaungadath, as well as other cities of northwest Netheril.

Note also the references to Annarath and Bhaulaea in FR13, page 66, and the references to an unnamed city in the write-up of Iymrith in Wyrms of the North and Dragons of Faerun, page 43. Currently I have linked Iymrith to Annarath, but I'm not sure that works yet given some other stuff I'm considering.

Thanks for the references Eric, will check them all. Although cannot check unpublished stuff haha
Guess I'll have to do hard work using Karsus Enclave map, as suggested in this thread, to use it as a model.

I'll repeat my question regarding inhabitantes: good or bad idea to put a phaerimm there in charge of the lamias? ANY suggestions concerning what should I put there, like buildings, temples, encounters, stuff! will be greatly apprecciated. Also not sure where to put the spelljamming ship. Thank you guys!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000