Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Essay Format - Ye Olde English, Ye or Nay?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  14:13:42  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I am writing research papers for the Realms. You could be reading them, so tell me, do you prefer or care about the old English way, Shakespearean, or would you prefer the papers presented in modern English for clarity’s sake?

Choices:

Speak thee Shakespearean, or naught ‘t all!
I’m good with modern English, dude-ster rooster
êow sprecan n¯ænig pro orgilde bîleofa ic pro r¯æran n¯ænig pro nêodlaðu of spellian.

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Shawn Daniels on 08 Apr 2020 14:15:32

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  23:20:16  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I admire Shakespeare, his era was the very beginning of Modern English. And to me is difficult to follow most times, mainly due to the usage of idioms and expressions of that era. So, while I would prefer current English, if you can ACTUALLY WRITE IN OBSCURE SHAKESPEAREAN, then go right ahead.

Edited by - ElfBane on 09 Apr 2020 09:04:50
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  00:10:06  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

While I admire Shakespeare, His era was the very beginning of Modern English. And to me is difficult to follow most times, mainly due to the usage of idioms and expressions of that that era. So, while I would prefer current English, if you can ACTUALLY WRITE IN OBSCURE SHAKESPEAREAN,then go right ahead.

Well, it IS about what you prefer, so...

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  00:26:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, please. I'm not a native speaker, and I have problems with normal English sometimes. Now, imagine some obscure version of it...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  00:27:20  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Nope, please. I'm not a native speaker, and I have problems with normal English sometimes. Now, imagine some obscure version of it...

Lol

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  00:58:51  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The number of people who actually speak like they have all of Shakespeare's plays stuffed down their throat in the Realms numbers in the single digits. If Larloch and Telamont don't talk like they're out of the 16th century, I don't see why research papers, of all things, should be written in an archaic dialect.

Or one that may not even exist in the Realms, since Karsus definitely didn't speak like he stepped out of a play.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  01:00:59  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The number of people who actually speak like they have all of Shakespeare's plays stuffed down their throat in the Realms numbers in the single digits. If Larloch and Telamont don't talk like they're out of the 16th century, I don't see why research papers, of all things, should be written in an archaic dialect.

Or one that may not even exist in the Realms, since Karsus definitely didn't speak like he stepped out of a play.

Lol, I know, we just enjoy playing around with it around here, so I thought “why not offer”

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  02:38:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realmslore already has plenty of flavour dialect, using some creatively and a little sparingly adds immersion and entertainment value.

But I find longwinded elfy-poetic names/vocabularly and unreadably gutteral dwarven/orcish words to be a pain. I'm also quite unfond of rampantly overused "ye" instead of "you".

If you're writing for modern audiences then best to avoid falling into Gygaxian or High Gygaxian language modes, and easy trap if you read too many old Realms books. It's too "stuffy" to hold much interest unless you grew up with it as a second language.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  03:11:50  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms doesn’t take place in history - why should it sound like it?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  03:38:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A lot of people who do speak English as their native tongue still have problems with it. A lot of people don't put any effort into proper grammar, and there's also the fact that English is just weird. For every rule, there's an exception, and a lot of the exceptions seem to be "if it breaks the rule but still works, you're good."

I find this quote by James Nicoll says it best:

quote:
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  04:14:38  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't we have that one scribe who sounded suspiciously like a bot?
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  05:17:02  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

A lot of people who do speak English as their native tongue still have problems with it. A lot of people don't put any effort into proper grammar, and there's also the fact that English is just weird. For every rule, there's an exception, and a lot of the exceptions seem to be "if it breaks the rule but still works, you're good."

I find this quote by James Nicoll says it best:

quote:
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.

James Nicoll sounds like one funny motherfker.

Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  10:26:28  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure to what degree this checks out canonically, but I've kinda been going with the idea that Elminster's archaic language use is an affectation put on for the Earthly audience.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  13:07:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lookatroopa

I'm not sure to what degree this checks out canonically, but I've kinda been going with the idea that Elminster's archaic language use is an affectation put on for the Earthly audience.

I think that's right. He does it with everyone to come across as the doddery old greybeard. Lad.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  15:06:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always had it that by some complete accident the common tongue is exactly like English, and so auld common is like ye olde english (to my mind the multi verse is operating to a plan but that plan was broken by chaos - see the immortals handbook)

Elminster choosing to use auld common because it makes him appear elderly and befuddled is a good idea, even better that it sounds like olde english to us on earth

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  15:19:46  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every year, on Elminster's birthday, villains across the Realms send him books on basic Common and grammar. It was funny at first, but...

That's not to mention all the other elderly bearded wizards who are utterly sick of being asked why they don't talk "old-style like Elminster".
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  17:49:17  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I think that's right. He does it with everyone to come across as the doddery old greybeard. Lad.

-- George Krashos

I disagree. I’m currently reading Elminster: Making of a Mage, and just about everyone in his village that we’re exposed to, and then Helm, speaks like that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  19:04:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Daniels

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

I disagree. I’m currently reading Elminster: Making of a Mage, and just about everyone in his village that we’re exposed to, and then Helm, speaks like that.

That was set about a thousand years ago. Language changes, over time.

Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  19:24:32  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Daniels

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

That was set about a thousand years ago. Language changes, over time.

True, and I am aware of that, just specifically pertaining to Elminster, he has proper reason for speaking that way.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  20:24:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, but he's had plenty of time to learn other ways of speaking.

When I moved from Mississippi to California, I very quickly learned not to say "y'all" because of the way my classmates reacted. Within a month or two, I'd forced myself to stop using a lot of Southern-isms that I'd been using my entire life. (And then I moved to Florida and picked them all back up again)

So Elminster did learn speaking that way -- but if he's still doing it, it's because he's chosen to keep doing it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000