Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Tool to Greatly Assist All Fellow Scholars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  01:48:10  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I very much enjoy this website and exploring its contents. I sometimes feel like I am a fledgling monk happening upon a room full of dust and old scrolls that hasn’t been visited in centuries. Love it.
That being said, Google is an AMAZING tool. The best search engine in terms of functionality most likely.

For an even more in-depth search on a particular topic, you may desire to type the following into Google(with or without quotations):

“Your search term here” site:forgottenrealms.fandom.com OR site:forum.candlekeep.com OR site:candlekeep.com

This tells Google to pull ALL results from ALL the sites mentioned for the key words you mentioned. Now if it’s a phrase and you want it specifically seen that way you would say “your search term here”, NOT: your search term here. And it is important that put the capitalized OR in between the site:whateveryouwants.
So again, quotations around key terms for exact phrasing, no quotations to get any of the words in any order. And you can include as many websites as you want in the google search.

This has been my 2nd most-used tool in my studies of the Realms. Thank you for your time.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  03:32:38  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That string is actually super helpful for me; thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  04:34:02  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

That string is actually super helpful for me; thanks!

I am humbled to have been able to assist one of my fellow scholars. You are more than welcome. Thank YOU for giving your time to my thoughts.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  07:52:11  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too accept this information.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  16:04:53  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

I too accept this information.

I am honored.

Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  01:02:35  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is the same thing as Shawn Daniels posted above, but I prefer using Google Advanced Search, which has the convenience of sorted and ready search boxes.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  02:40:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep's search genie is quite elderly and rather, ah ... "limited" ... in capability.

Google's mighty search genie is indeed nigh-omniscient if one knows the proper truenames and command words to invoke. But, strangely, it often finds scrolls which are/were not yet complete, scried whilst they were still being written or edited.

I believe this a consequence of Candlekeep's "robots.txt" ward being miscast, it is supposed to direct the search genie's modron familiars to look only towards the shelves of completed scrolls.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  03:25:43  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Candlekeep's search genie is quite elderly and rather, ah ... "limited" ... in capability.

Google's mighty search genie is indeed nigh-omniscient if one knows the proper truenames and command words to invoke. But, strangely, it often finds scrolls which are/were not yet complete, scried whilst they were still being written or edited.

I believe this a consequence of Candlekeep's "robots.txt" ward being miscast, it is supposed to direct the search genie's modron familiars to look only towards the shelves of completed scrolls.

I enjoyed the way you said all of that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000