Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ao, Realmspace, Interplanar Travel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  22:44:52  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

To another sphere i imagined the time varying depending upon how different the worlds are.

Well the distances for the known worlds in spelljammer i would of course keep. I imagine the distance being dependant upon the similarity of the world in question. Toril, Dragonlance, and Greyhawk are all fairly similar in rules of reality so probably form a core group of planets near the centre (never read spelljammer so i've no idea how far apart they actually are). While Darksun is very different and so is on the outskirts.

The further out you travel the smaller the spheres get and the further apart they get until you travel on and on into nothingness until you actually reach the outer planes.

I can dig it

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  01:28:57  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's worth noting that there is more than one Astral Plane, and as such, it wouldn't be surprising if different clusters of crystal spheres share different versions of other types of planes.

I had wondered if Sigil is simply a single nexus effectively anchored to a crystal sphere cluster's "local multiverse" rather than being applicable to the entire Material Plane's planar multiverse.

There could be a large number of Sigils, much like how they discovered a seventh Chevron for gate addresses in STARGATE SG:1.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 07 Apr 2020 01:30:11
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  05:18:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More than one Astral plane?

What is the source of this?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  05:20:45  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

What he said

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  06:46:48  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

3e Player's Guide to Faerun -- Other Planes section

QUOTE: "Toril actually connects to several different Astral Planes, each one linking Toril’s Material Plane to the outer-planar homes of a different group of deities. These Astral Planes are based on the geographical areas of control held by the different pantheons." p.164

There's an "Astral Plane of Zakhara".

There's an "Astral Plane of Maztica".

The Spirit World takes the place of the Astral Plane for the realms of Kara-Tur.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  07:12:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't recall seeing this before. I have some reading to do, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  17:25:58  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

quote:

QUOTE: "Toril actually connects to several different Astral Planes, each one linking Toril’s Material Plane to the outer-planar homes of a different group of deities. These Astral Planes are based on the geographical areas of control held by the different pantheons." p.164

There's an "Astral Plane of Zakhara".

There's an "Astral Plane of Maztica".

The Spirit World takes the place of the Astral Plane for the realms of Kara-Tur.

Holy shiza, how is that missing from my knowledge database? That’s a huge deal.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  18:19:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd disregard that, myself, as part of the odd "there's nothing but the Realms!" cosmology they pushed in 3E.

Another spin might be that there are like "border Astral" planes, connecting to each spot, but even that's messy and can't be reconciled with prior lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  03:04:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the lore yet.

But my feeling is that these descriptors likely refer to separate regions of the (one) Astral instead of separate Astrals. Much like Anubis's domain or the Githyanki god-city of Tu'narath - known to exist somewhere in the infinite vastness of the Astral, just not known (to outsiders) exactly where.

Still, while they would all have to share the properties of "the" Astral they might also have enough differences to be considered Planescape "layers" in a rough sense.

I'll try to approach the material objectively. But 3Es varying planar cosmologies and metaphors became quite an ugly mess towards the end, lol.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000