Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Would Executioners worship Kelemvor or Bane?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

prototype00
Acolyte

48 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2020 :  16:31:24  Show Profile  Visit prototype00's Homepage Send prototype00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Or both at different times in different societies?

The question I'm asking arose, as all the best questions do, when I was thinking about the backstory of a Half Orc Zealot Barbarian I wanted to play.

Now, historically speaking, Executioners in literally every society have been reviled and ostracized, forming the lowest conceivable caste everywhere from medieval Europe to Japan. In fact, I believe in Europe, there were even families of Executioners (because only the daughter of another executioner would marry such a damned soul) so I imagined that my Half Orc (already a race with some prejudice on it) could come from such a family.

So I was wondering what sort of god would accept such a profession in the Realms (does it also have the same stigma)? And of course, I alighted on Kelemvor (more emphasis on the transition and a "clean death" without any shame or undue pain) or Bane (the power to take life if it contravenes the spoken orders of The Strong).

Does Kelemvor accept the worship of Executioners? (I'm pretty sure Bane does, it even fits his aesthetic) The Wiki https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Kelemvor does not list them as one of the groups who offer him devotion.

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2020 :  16:42:54  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faerun is a polythiestic society so most likely both and others. It also depends on personality. If they are a d
Sadist they could even worship Lovitar or Bhaal.
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2020 :  17:32:01  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Executioners would look to Torm.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2020 :  23:12:26  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torm, Helm and Bane are all valid choices. Sadism doesn't play much into it.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2020 :  23:25:34  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose it’s a matter of perspective for the executioner; do they see themself as an agent of law or an agent of death? Are those beneath their blade the unfortunate sacrifice necessary for the function of society, or contemptible scum they gladly rid the world of? Figure out their attitude and you’ll find their deity.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2020 :  09:08:31  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amaunator would be great patron deity for executioners, as he is a proponent of strict, but impartial justice, and most executioners are just doing their duties as part of the justice system.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2020 :  10:29:32  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyr would also fit as long as the execution was officially sanctioned and guilt lawfully confirmed. (The burden of proof may still lie on the accused in some legal systems, which is OK.) What Tyr or Torm or Amaunator would not sanction is a dramatic outdoor show meant to entertain the masses in a bloodthirsty orgy of violence. The example that comes to mind is one of the Rob Salvatore books describing Wulfgar as one of several people to be executed in Luskan. The event was dubbed a "Carnival". The official in charge would work the crowd into a frenzy and really ham it up with his oratory. I forgot which book it was.

Bane would have probably enjoyed the Carnival, but Tyr, Torm and Amaunator would just want the criminal executed without further ado. I think they would have been put off by the bread and circus atmosphere.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2020 :  21:26:57  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say it depends on their alignment and moral compass.
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  04:09:34  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Executioners in the Realms don't have the same stigma that ''everywhere" on Earth does. And Earth has a LOT of cultures.

An Executioner, like any body, can be any type of person of any alignment...so that opens a lot of gods. Though typically most will be ''Lawful'', but they don't have to be. The typical drow Executioner for example is chaotic evil.

Bane, Torm, Tyr, Kelvmore and Helm are the more obvious choices for worship.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  09:31:24  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess you could include pre-3e Bhaal, back when he presided over all aspects of death.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  09:43:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Executioners like almost everyone else in the realms would offer the occasional prayer and sacrificial offering to any God they've heard of that might have an effect on their daily life, because everyone believes in all the gods.

Some might favour one God more than others but that would probably only manifest in an additional prayer each day to their favoured god, they would still pray to the others.

Only priests and a rare few individuals devote themselves purely to the worship of one deity, And even then they probably offer an occasional prayer to allied deities, while dedicating their entire life to their chosen god.

And never forget, if you ask someone who they worship (unless they are a priest), you are likely to get verbally abused or physically assaulted.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  14:10:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A job's a job. Other than Eldath, I reckon an executioner can worship any deity.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  17:09:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

A job's a job. Other than Eldath, I reckon an executioner can worship any deity.

-- George Krashos

I dunno, I think Ilmatar, Lliira, and Sune would be unlikely candidates, too. And Lathander, especially -- hard to get that second chance when you're dead.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  00:05:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-- George Krashos

I dunno, I think Ilmatar, Lliira, and Sune would be unlikely candidates, too. And Lathander, especially -- hard to get that second chance when you're dead.

Given that executions, back in the day, were usually the culmination of a torture process, I can see an Ilmatari worshipper justifying it as "easing suffering". You could do it as a Sune worshipper, but only if you were killing ugly people and for a Lliira-worshipping sociopath, there's definitely great joy in killing.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  02:36:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-- George Krashos

Given that executions, back in the day, were usually the culmination of a torture process, I can see an Ilmatari worshipper justifying it as "easing suffering". You could do it as a Sune worshipper, but only if you were killing ugly people and for a Lliira-worshipping sociopath, there's definitely great joy in killing.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  05:40:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bane. Bhaal. Myrkul. Talos. Shar.

Folk of the Realms accept the entire Faerunian pantheon.

In Evil societies the choice is clear, criminals and offenders and dissenters and deadweights and random victims must be removed or sacrificed, name a god and execute the offering.

In Good societies these deities are not as readily embraced. But offerings are still made to appease Talos and avert his storms. Prayers are still sent to Shar so that she may grant forgetfulness by taking away painful memories. Each of the Evil gods can be invoked for non-Evil purposes.

And in most societies it's not quite so black and white. Temples and shrines are dedicated to a variety of Good and Evil and Neutral deities. A noble and impartial paladin magistrate might abide by Tyr's justice when condemning a criminal, and execute the sentence (in the name of his god) personally. Or Selune's priestess might invoke a ritual hunt where the condemned might escape or might get eaten by lycanthropes (as the goddess wills it). A merchant lord might offer a bounty from Waukeen to the first assassin who can do the job. Tempus might be called to judge a criminal permitted to fight and live or die in an arena. Grumbar could be called to witness a public stoning.

Eldath, Ilmater, and Sune are unlikely deities to involve in an execution. But angry mobs vs heinous criminals will always find ways to explain necessary actions within the context of their prevailing belief system.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000