Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Shadover in Anauroch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  22:30:08  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The City of Shade was destroyed by Elminster and friends in 1487 if I understand correctly. A lot of Shadover were no doubt killed then.

But Shade had created several settlements in the Anauroch so I assume there would be Shadover survivors still there. Are there any hints in official canon as to what is the status of the Shadover in Anauroch in the 5e era?

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  22:41:45  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the returned Netherese had magically terraformed Anauroch, and it’s now rapidly desertifying again. We might have mixed Netherese/Bedine groups returning to nomadic ways, though I wonder how well they’ll do given they haven’t lived on the dunes in over a century...

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  06:32:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I believe the returned Netherese had magically terraformed Anauroch, and it’s now rapidly desertifying again. We might have mixed Netherese/Bedine groups returning to nomadic ways, though I wonder how well they’ll do given they haven’t lived on the dunes in over a century...

A very interesting observation keftiu. Food for thought.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  14:37:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would expect the Shadovar to scatter to the four winds. Taking Shade out of the picture means they're going to lose a lot of the security they had. People are going to come looking for unguarded loot, the Zhents are going to go back to getting their route to the Sword Coast... The Shadovar are going to either have to retreat to well-hidden (and not-flying!) enclaves, or they'll scatter, with small groups and individuals finding their own way in the world.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  15:54:34  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't be surprised if the phaerimm want a rematch with the Shadovar survivors. I don't like the Netherese/Bedine groups' chances at all.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  18:22:47  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

Don't be surprised if the phaerimm want a rematch with the Shadovar survivors. I don't like the Netherese/Bedine groups' chances at all.

4e lore was that the Netherese exterminated the phaerimm. I’m sure they’ll stay about as dead as Mystra did, but that’s the last official word we have on them.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  21:54:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At the height of their strength, the entire Netherese nation couldn't handle the phaerimm. I doubt that the Shades were able to wipe them out while simultaneously unmaking a desert, taking over a distant country, fighting an even more distant country, wiping out the Zhents, discovering a hidden area no one had been able to find for centuries (even when directly overheard and searching for it), lurking under every other rock in the Realms...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  23:29:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the phaerimm remain a significant power in the lands of Anauroch. The Shades inflicted some defeats on them but would not have been able to eradicate them. I do however like the idea of there being less of them. And less Shades for that matter too.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  00:48:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I think the phaerimm remain a significant power in the lands of Anauroch. The Shades inflicted some defeats on them but would not have been able to eradicate them. I do however like the idea of there being less of them. And less Shades for that matter too.

-- George Krashos

Agreed. In fact, I like the idea of there being multiple, competing groups of Shades. Three or four here, a dozen there -- all going at different goals, sometimes opposing each other, sometimes working together... Kinda what I think Ed always intended: Multiple power groups, working toward a variety of ends -- some amassing power, some amassing gold, some pushing divine agendas, some pushing their own ideologies -- with a thousand different schemes all going on at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  09:15:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

I am sure Lord WotC didn't have a glass of wokeness on the climate change train for the Bedine and Anauroch. I think they're likely denying it and leaving the Bedine out to dry. ;) haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2020 :  09:29:06  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can we not throw around woke as an insult like that?

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  23:20:03  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

I assure you. No insult was meant. :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  00:12:51  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SCAG mentions a clutch of phaerimm in the Memory Spire. On twitter, Ed mentioned that these were not free but were awake, and also able to exert some magical influence over Anauroch.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2020 :  07:04:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte MTBlack,

Did you see any other references to the Memory Spire? I couldn't find anything else either.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2020 :  05:40:10  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Acolyte MTBlack,

Did you see any other references to the Memory Spire? I couldn't find anything else either.

It is mentioned in the FRCG4e on page 165. I believe that is the only other mention.

Edited by - MTBlack on 28 Mar 2020 05:40:35
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  02:13:37  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker MTBlack,

It blows me away that these kinds of issues are not taken up in some of those cool articles we use to find on the WotC site, or in Dragon/Dungeon magazines. Perfect material for it.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000