Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Which 4e novels do you reccomend?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2020 :  23:51:35  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm considering finally going back and finishing The Haunted Lands trilogy, and figured I'd ask what else from the era is worth a read. I remember one book about a spellscarred drug addict, but I don't think I liked it...

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  00:42:46  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Brotherhood of the Griffon series, which is a sequel of the Haunted Lands. A must read, IMHO. Those are personal favorites.

Brimstone Angels series, that start in 4e and end in 5e. So, if you want to just focus in 4e, read only the first and second novels. I consider this one of the best Realms novels out there, as they are character focused. However, they are aldo a little bit romance heavy.

I also have a good opinion of the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy. IIRC, in one of these novels is the spelljammer reference. *wink* *wink*

The Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy is also a very good one, and one of my personal favorites. I think your drug addict is from this novel, tho I don't remember him to be a spellscarred.

Then, there are Sword of the Gods and Shadowbane, that are somewhat stand alone, but also are connected with the Abyssal Plague trilogy, that are not Realms novels but set in the Nentir Vale. Very good novels, I recommend them as well.

The Waterdeep series are also interesting, though I've only read two, Blackstaff Tower and the God Catcher, that are very good IMHO.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 12 Mar 2020 00:45:13
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  02:09:02  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll echo ZeromaruX and say Shadowbane, Brimstone Angels, and Blades of the Moonsea. The Elminster novels are really good, if you enjoy reading for the nuggets of lore that Ed puts in his stories.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  08:53:30  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went back to The Haunted Lands and managed to finish the first book, but the first bit of the second has convinced me to stop. Why are these books so heavy on the sexual assault? I’m stunned WotC let that content through.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  16:09:08  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Went back to The Haunted Lands and managed to finish the first book, but the first bit of the second has convinced me to stop. Why are these books so heavy on the sexual assault? I’m stunned WotC let that content through.

Yeah, I also found the Haunted Lands to be rather problematic, but I also thought that this was to show Thay was an evilish place of evil evulz (tm). Mind, this is the non-undead Thay, the place that many here consider a "beautiful land" (paraphrased).

Anyways, I feel the things improve when the books become actually 4e (yeah, books one and two are still 3e).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11689 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  16:21:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Yeah, I also found the Haunted Lands to be rather problematic, but I also thought that this was to show Thay was an evilish place of evil evulz (tm). Mind, this is the non-undead Thay, the place that many here consider a "beautiful land" (paraphrased).

Anyways, I feel the things improve when the books become actually 4e (yeah, books one and two are still 3e).

Just so its not taken out of context, by beautiful land (at least I) would be referring literally to the land and literally that it was flowering, had excellent agriculture, they were affluent with crops, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2020 :  18:43:43  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Downshadow was good, if not a bit confusing. I was sad to see what became of Fox-at-Twilight during the Spellplague. I had high hopes for her to be the next female novel series after Depths of Madness.

The Sundering books were all fantastic. I just wished that Godborn was supposed to be a trilogy, and was compressed into one medium size book. That storyline needed all 3 books, not one.

The Herald was amazing, but again, it needed more than one book IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Drumheller
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  02:27:32  Show Profile Send Drumheller a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed The Restless Shore by James Davis. I read it before I knew anything about the Forgotten Realms, just picked it up at random.

Organizer, The Edgemont Roleplaying and Adventurers Club. Brea, Ca

Edited by - Drumheller on 31 May 2020 02:28:11
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  04:34:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the 4E Novels that I read.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2020 :  10:22:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blades of the Moonsea wasn't terrible. I can't say the same for my opinion of most other 4e novels; outside of Erin Evans work which is superb.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000