Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Good Gods fallen to evil or with evil heresies?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Quickleaf
Seeker

99 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2020 :  23:03:29  Show Profile Send Quickleaf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any gods in the FR who were once good but fell to evil, or good gods who have evil heresies among their ranks?

I'm thinking things like the Harlot's Coin Heresy within Waukeen's temple mentioned in Dragon #355

Planning a campaign and want to detail a place called the Joss Desert (it's part of the demon lord Graz'zt's Abyssal realm). There are no official descriptions of it besides lamia pilgrims coming from there to visit Graz'zt's temple.

"Joss" has a couple meanings, including:

• A Chinese household divinity

• A heathen idol

• Luck (informal)

So I was imagining a desert full of ruined idols. Since Graz'zt is a seductive corrupting figure, it would make sense if these idols belonged to good gods fallen to evil or with evil heresies.

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2020 :  23:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m curious because I don’t own that Dragon Mag issue. Is it referring to the time Waukeen spent with Grazzt?

Here’s an older thread on Piazza that has some information too.

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=16179

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 21 Jan 2020 23:26:01
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2020 :  04:28:52  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heresies, likely, but good gods that have fallen to evil...not that I can think of, unless you count Araunshnee becoming Lolth.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2020 :  05:13:48  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyche's corruption (with following split in two)?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2020 :  05:39:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar was once a creator of life and wasn’t “evil” until she was betrayed by Selune.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2020 :  15:35:11  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Araushnee was the elven godess of destiny and partisans and part of the Seldarine, before becoming the evil godess Lolth.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2020 :  15:40:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharess (who in the current era seems to be Bast again, since Zandilar has returned as an individual goddess) nearly fell to evil, but it was because of Shar's corruption, and then Sune managed to make her snap out of it.

There are Lolth, Vhaeraun and Selvetarm, and Tyche being corrupted by Moander, generating Tymora and Beshaba.

Shar and Selune have the Dark Moon Heresy, which implies that they're 2 sides of the same coin.

Not a goddess, but Grazz't's whispers might have contributed to bring Zariel to the dark side.

Nothing else that's really relevant comes to mind, though.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Jan 2020 15:44:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2020 :  16:11:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure Lolth was ever good... Maybe she was neutral, but I don't think she was ever good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2020 :  16:33:37  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm not sure Lolth was ever good... Maybe she was neutral, but I don't think she was ever good.

It is just the same old story: boy meets girl, boy marries girl, boy and girl starts a family, girl gets jealous of boy so tries to get her kids to help kill boy, boy banishes girl and kids from hippy commune, girl goes goth and plots revenge. It happens all the time.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2020 :  01:53:58  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ASMODEUS was once an angel of chastity and goodness, before falling to devilhood for his own ambitions and "the greater good".

Gods of justice such as Tyr and Bahamut may have overzealous followers who pervert the teachings and commit atrocities in the name of justice.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Quickleaf
Seeker

99 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2020 :  08:47:07  Show Profile Send Quickleaf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I’m curious because I don’t own that Dragon Mag issue. Is it referring to the time Waukeen spent with Grazzt?

Here’s an older thread on Piazza that has some information too.

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=16179

Yep, that's exactly what the heresy refers to.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2020 :  17:26:52  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Asmodeus is implied to be a fallen exemplar of Law, not an angel in the d&d sense. Prior to his fall, he was probably an aphanact.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2020 :  19:32:35  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Findish Codex II from 3.5 Edition tells the myth of Asmodeus being a fallen angel. I don't know if it was told anywhere how it really began.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2020 :  04:49:34  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

The Findish Codex II from 3.5 Edition tells the myth of Asmodeus being a fallen angel. I don't know if it was told anywhere how it really began.

He was probably an aphanact. They were a race of angelic creatures from Mechanus obsessed with Law, and were supposedly annihilated by either celestials, gods or fiends. The inevitables popped up after they were destroyed.

Replace 'destroyed' with 'tainted with Evil' and 'annihilated' with 'booted out into Baator', and it fits someone we know.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2020 :  14:11:25  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think in 3.5 lore, Asmodeus (as well as others like Mephistopheles and Dispater) were Aphanacts, but in 4E lore, Asmodeus is an 4E Angel, specifically of an Archangel rank. These could be also compared or connected to Aphanacts though, as they are "Unaligned" (which contained Lawful Neutral) :
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Angel_(astral)

Asmodeus did and was created though serve an heavily Lawful Good Elder God - He Who Was (although one source at least implying he was closer to Lawful Neutral).

Edited by - Baltas on 25 Jan 2020 14:18:18
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2020 :  23:34:30  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Sharess (who in the current era seems to be Bast again, since Zandilar has returned as an individual goddess) nearly fell to evil, but it was because of Shar's corruption, and then Sune managed to make her snap out of it.

There are Lolth, Vhaeraun and Selvetarm, and Tyche being corrupted by Moander, generating Tymora and Beshaba.

Shar and Selune have the Dark Moon Heresy, which implies that they're 2 sides of the same coin.

Not a goddess, but Grazz't's whispers might have contributed to bring Zariel to the dark side.

Nothing else that's really relevant comes to mind, though.

We don't know that Zandilar is separate from Sharess, it's not even mentioned and might only be a thing on FR, with say Zandilar's aspects in other Crystal Sphere's having never merged with Bast at all.

Or Sharess could be like the three in one Elven Goddess of Wisdom, Bast, Zandilar, and Felidae could be both independant and part of Sharess at the same time.

I will say both Bast in the PHB and Zandilar shared the shift to Chaotic Neutral in 5e, so who knows what Sharess'alignment is, although its suggests she is CN now for some unexplained reason.

Anyways Hoar was Neutral, became evil, and became Neutral again. Gilgeam was good once, a Hercules like figure, but eventually failures of Unther under his rule lead him to darkness and evil. And then he died. And then he lived again in a crazy world where Genasi's enslaved his people, only for him to return to Toril with his people on the verge of his victory over the Primordial Empire of Genasi.

Most of the Dark Seldarine where good or Neutral once, before all but one turned evil.

Garages might have been Neutral once until Tempus beat him at winning over worshippers, and he went off the deep end.

As a Mortal there was for a time a moment where Cyric was good, before they ruined his character and made him power, clever in a way, but stupid ultimately.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2020 :  00:32:37  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed, Sharess indeed returned to be Bast, but it seems that happened because she lost her popularity in the wider Realms, and her only significant cult is that of Bast in Mulhorand. It seems she was changed by the faith of her followers.

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1128716987188875265?s=20

As for Zandilar, the most probably is that she returned to be her own self during the Second Sundering. It happened to Azuth, for instance.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 26 Jan 2020 00:34:18
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2020 :  14:49:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering that she is the list of active deities in the MToF, it's very likely that it's the case.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2020 :  21:49:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amaunator and At'ar being a cruelly spiteful split from the god, while Amon was trapped away in the place that vestiges go.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2020 :  22:27:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Selvetarm wasn't always evil. He wasn't ever explicitly mentioned as being good, but we know that he "rejected" the ways of his father (Vhaeraun) and eventually came to start embracing the way Eilistraee did things after coming into contact with her and respecting her. All that changed when Lolth basically tricked him into fighting Zanassu the Spider Demon and absorbing his power. All the evil from Zanassu went into Selvetarm and turned him into the crazy evil guy he is today.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2020 :  01:02:48  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can think of 2... The Solar Makizid, The Branded King, and Adimarchus, Demon Prince of Madness. Both Solars of tremendous power.

Hope this helps. If you want to know more about Malkizid.... read "The Last Mythal" trilogy. Circa 1374/ 1375 DR.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2020 :  01:39:32  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neither are gods, though. Malkizid was a solar, Adimarchus a planetar version of Dr Jekyll.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000