Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Langdharma
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2020 :  22:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any additional information canonically or fanonically in this region of the Realms that goes beyond the novel Faces of Deception? That book would have been one of my favorites had the last 100 pages or so not have fallen out of my novel and I got to finish it.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2020 :  04:00:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say you dodged a bullet, there. That was one of two Realms novels that I wanted to hurl across the room, when I finished it, because the ending pissed me off that much.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2020 :  14:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd say you dodged a bullet, there. That was one of two Realms novels that I wanted to hurl across the room, when I finished it, because the ending pissed me off that much.

Yeah I just pretend the last pages fell out. Because honestly the story just STOPPED. No explanation, just OVER.

What’s it now? 25 years later and I’m still waiting for a conclusion?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2020 :  21:40:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I started reading it a while ago, and I put it down. I don't like not finishing books I started, but quite a few things have cut it in line. I dunno, it's very hard to get into I feel, about 50 pages in or so.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2020 :  22:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I started reading it a while ago, and I put it down. I don't like not finishing books I started, but quite a few things have cut it in line. I dunno, it's very hard to get into I feel, about 50 pages in or so.

The biggest problem with the book is that you can’t finish reading it. It ends so abruptly. I understand what you’re saying though - I remember the beginning dragging a bit. Imho it started to get really interesting after some time and my imagination really wandered thinking about what Langdarma would be like. Here’s a region I wish someone would homebrew for DMsGuild so badly!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Quickleaf
Seeker

99 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2020 :  08:54:23  Show Profile Send Quickleaf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Is there any additional information canonically or fanonically in this region of the Realms that goes beyond the novel Faces of Deception? That book would have been one of my favorites had the last 100 pages or so not have fallen out of my novel and I got to finish it.

I recall there was a Dragon magazine article mentioning Langdarma... it was Rogue's Gallery: Faces of Deception. Dragon Annual #2. Troy Denning. TSR, 1998.

Here are my compiled notes on Langdarma, with some creative liberties:

Langdarma, the “fifth kingdom” of the Utter East, is hidden by ancient magic in the Shang Po Basin below the Forbidden Plateau and mountains known as the Sisters of Serenity. This earthly paradise was created by a deity the natives know as Serene Abhirati. Two legacies of the goddess’ prescene remain. A portion of her power was bestowed upon mortal healers who can cure any ailments of those dwelling in the valley. The other legacy is a deva known as The Sannyasi who guards all pathways into the realm.

Ancient stone portals in the Yehimal Mountains are the only ingress into Langdarma, though anyone passing through one will be tested by The Sannyasi. Those who are found worthy, their hearts emptied of violence, are permitted to enter Langdarma…for a time. However, those who fail The Sannyasi’s test are healed of any wounds and sent back through the portal, which closes behind them, cursed to never again find Langdarma. Denial of this paradise leaves a hollowness in the heart enough to drive hardened mountaineers mad.

The kingdom is divided into Upper and Lower regions according to altitude, with peaceful villages scattered throughout farming rice and tending goats and musk oxen. While the natives are mostly human commoners, each village has one priest sworn to non-violence who acts as a healer of unparalleled skill. Countless rare healing herbs grow in the alpine reaches surrounding Langdarma, including desert’s night blossom and eyebright flower, and the healers know each like a cousin. It is said that should a healer of Langdarma ever cause a wound to any creature they will lose their powers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000