Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 First shogun of Kozakura
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2020 :  19:37:50  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What's the first shogun of Kozakura:
- According to Kara-Tur Campaign Box Set (tsr1032), it's Hojo Tademashi...
- according to Night of the Seven Swords (tsr9186), it's Hojo Shinzei...

So it's a member of the Hojo family, but which one do you think is more likely?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2020 :  20:38:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I would err on the side of the Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms because it is the "main" Kara-Tur book, but I think it's pretty easy to reconcile. You can always go with the idea that they're the same person and either Tademashi or Shinzei is a nickname, or, following how Japan uses specific era names for the reigns of its emperors, either Tademashi or Shinzei is some kind of Kozakuran imperial title.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  03:12:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure I've read about prominent figures in Japanese history who have changed their names; I seem to recall one that was adopted into another family and thus adopted their name.

So he could have been born as Hojo Tademashi, but later adopted by the Shinzei family, or vice versa. Or maybe he decided to start his own family and thus changed his name.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2020 :  18:09:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Asharak,

Master Rupert is correct. There are many reasons why someone would change their name, and the larges one is political. It could be a desire to start new as a ruler, and to avoid anything that could be embarrassing, etc.

An example is of Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu from 1567 until 1616. He was born with the name of Matsudaira Takechiyo.

I also looked through all of the materials for Kara-Tur and the surrounding area, and nothing with the exception of OA4, showed the name of Shinzei (or Shinsei, another common version closely associated) at all. Looking at the Kozakuran calendar, and even accounting for the screw up that existed back in the TSR timeline for modules OA5 through OA7 which made the DR additive 183 years instead of 73 years under the OA4 and previous modules, nothing shows. The Kozakuran calendar as well as the Dales calendar show nothing but at that time Tademashi becomes Shogun.

I hope that helps. Nothing deductively definitive, but sometimes we just have to inductively reason it out. :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

What's the first shogun of Kozakura:
- According to Kara-Tur Campaign Box Set (tsr1032), it's Hojo Tademashi...
- according to Night of the Seven Swords (tsr9186), it's Hojo Shinzei...

So it's a member of the Hojo family, but which one do you think is more likely?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000