Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Laeral Silverhand's Explorer'sKit
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  15:12:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

It's a 300 pages Critical Role Campaign Setting, basically: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/wildemount

Well at least I got it right about it being a Campaign Setting book, even if the location is off.

And when it was leaked yesterday it rose to #15 on Amazon's best seller list and #1 after the official announcement, so clearly it was a good business move.

So the good news for FR fans is this did not take a setting slot for this year because Critical Role community did most of the work including half the art, and it's huge success (along with Eberron: Rising From The Last War and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica) will encourage WotC to publish more Campaign Setting Guides,they will be hooked on the bigger profits they appear to generate compared to APs. Which means more Setting books.

Ravnica (most popular MtG setting), Exandia, and Eberron were all popular enough to be low risk settings compared to most of the rest, now that those were successful, WotC is more likely to explore risker settings (although honestly FR isn't a risky bet at all, so its likely coning out later this year or next IMHO).

I hope so, but I still believe that WotC refuses to provide info that goes beyond bare bones to remain free to add plots and details as they see fit.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  16:43:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's a 300 pages Critical Role Campaign Setting, basically: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/wildemount

Who's setting is this?

Is it part of Tal'Dorei Campaign? Or Some other "Hip and Cool" setting for all the "Hipster's" to play in?

Shuffles back to my Beloved Old Grey Box...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  19:01:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

Who's setting is this?

Is it part of Tal'Dorei Campaign? Or Some other "Hip and Cool" setting for all the "Hipster's" to play in?

Shuffles back to my Beloved Old Grey Box...

Yeah, not knowing anything at all about this setting means I'm not hugely enthusiastic about it. I'll likely look for some on-the-cheap option for getting the book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  19:18:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ravnica (most popular MtG setting), Exandia, and Eberron were all popular enough to be low risk settings compared to most of the rest, now that those were successful, WotC is more likely to explore risker settings (although honestly FR isn't a risky bet at all, so its likely coning out later this year or next IMHO).

Honestly, I think we're going to see more of these one-off settings, as opposed to going back to the ones that are well-established. The Realms was pretty much the flagship setting, and all they're doing for it now is seeing what they can shoehorn into it.

The Ravnica thing appears to have been a one-off. With the recent Eberron book, it's the same basic thing of "hey, here's some basics, now go do your own thing and leave us alone!" They didn't even update the setting -- it's the same exact setting, only now with different rules.

And this one looks more like the Acquisitions, Inc, one than a proper campaign book -- "Hey, look, here's a popular thing where someone else did all the work, but we're going to make some money off of it, anyway!"

I think that's going to be the trend: either one-offs for the former popular settings, or "campaign settings" that are created by other prominent gamers, licensed out to WotC.

For past properties, I can see WotC doing one-offs for Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Planescape, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, and maybe Birthright. (As much as I love Spelljammer, I don't think it'll ever get more than a passing mention -- it just wasn't popular enough).

I think WotC's going to favor the non-WotC settings, though: someone else did the heavy lifting of creating it, and WotC doesn't have to worry about any past material that needs to be updated.

WotC simply doesn't create things, any more.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jan 2020 19:19:09
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  20:08:17  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’d like to point out that the new Eberron book did have some lore updates (the primary dwarf culture got a major revision that made them no longer the most boring thing in the setting, among other things)l but more importantly it opened up the Guild for the setting - and Keith Baker has a huge book of “things I’ve never gotten to publish into the canon” due out in February, like info on the planes and undersea cultures. It’s also been an intentional point since its creation that Eberron doesn’t advance the timeline or wildly change; it’s always 998YK, with novels and adventures being non-canon possibilities, which I’ve always appreciated.

This new Critical Role book is a guide to the continent their second campaign is on, far away from the setting of their first. It’s one about the conflict between a mostly-human empire and a drow-ruled “monstrous” empire, and it’ll include a bunch of “dunamancy,” new magic focused on time, fate, and gravity. I’m not super excited (I fell off CR pretty hard, and certainly didn’t need another high fantasy D&D world, especially one without unique races)l but this has an audience.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  23:18:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

I’d like to point out that the new Eberron book did have some lore updates (the primary dwarf culture got a major revision that made them no longer the most boring thing in the setting, among other things)l but more importantly it opened up the Guild for the setting - and Keith Baker has a huge book of “things I’ve never gotten to publish into the canon” due out in February, like info on the planes and undersea cultures. It’s also been an intentional point since its creation that Eberron doesn’t advance the timeline or wildly change; it’s always 998YK, with novels and adventures being non-canon possibilities, which I’ve always appreciated.

That's what I mean: it's still 998YK. Nothing has happened in the setting in the entire time that it's been published. So WotC didn't have anything to update -- the old material was still valid, because they made novels and adventures non-canon.

So my point is still valid: they didn't have to do any work to publish that one -- not the same kind of work that actually moving the timeline forward would involve.

(Incidentally, the whole "it will never be changed" thing is why I never got that much into Eberron. If I want to read about something that will never ever change, I'll pick up a history book.)

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  23:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly this is the one 5e product I might actually break down and buy. A set of Seven Sisters themed dice is kind of cute! I'll have to see how much of the miscellany I could actually use.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  01:17:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Honestly this is the one 5e product I might actually break down and buy. A set of Seven Sisters themed dice is kind of cute! I'll have to see how much of the miscellany I could actually use.

Arivia! Long time no see!

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  02:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Arivia! Long time no see!

Hi! So here's the secret: I still google and read the boards quite frequently when I'm ferreting down some piece of lore, but I often forget to actually log in and post with people about what's going on!

I was intending to start a thread about my Pathfinder 2e game (because this is one place I can talk about the Realms without being looked at like I have two heads for hating 5e) in Westgate and then jumped in for a bunch of other stuff!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  04:28:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've thought that Eberron's fixed-in-time approach timeline-wise would have been very welcome when working on the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  04:31:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like fixed in time too...started loving the idea back when I found Harn. It’s the main reason I have been stuck on the OGB or earlier.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  04:43:20  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've thought that Eberron's fixed-in-time approach timeline-wise would have been very welcome when working on the Realms.

-- George Krashos

Could also always do the Star Wars d20 approach and treat different time periods in the same setting as little sub-settings of their own. Heck, wasn’t that what Arcane Age was?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  14:04:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love it if Ed did an Athalanatar Campaign Guide. I have Dragon 228. Yet a 160 page tome full of Maps and Lore would have me giddy!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  14:06:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This new Critical Role book is a guide to the continent their second campaign is on, far away from the setting of their first. It’s one about the conflict between a mostly-human empire and a drow-ruled “monstrous” empire, and it’ll include a bunch of “dunamancy,” new magic focused on time, fate, and gravity. I’m not super excited (I fell off CR pretty hard, and certainly didn’t need another high fantasy D&D world, especially one without unique races)l but this has an audience.

Thank you!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  14:39:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, when I heard it was another "someone's home campaign", I started yawning (I've personally never watched any critical role, but I've heard of it.... and I'm surprised that it has caught on). But something you just said caught my attention. I'm super into magic and have always been interested in magic involving gravity and magnetism. Time magic is a slippery slope as well, so it will be interesting to see what they do there. However, I'm betting they don't go into such extensively?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2020 :  20:29:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Actually, when I heard it was another "someone's home campaign", I started yawning (I've personally never watched any critical role, but I've heard of it.... and I'm surprised that it has caught on). But something you just said caught my attention. I'm super into magic and have always been interested in magic involving gravity and magnetism. Time magic is a slippery slope as well, so it will be interesting to see what they do there. However, I'm betting they don't go into such extensively?

It gets three subclasses an Echo Knight fighter that pulls copies of themselves from dying timelines, a Time Wizard Subclass and a Gravity Wizard Subclass, and a pile of Dunamancy (think Quantuam magic) spells and its tied to the monster (with a minority of humans) empire of the setting. So it sounds like a half descent amount of support.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2020 :  20:31:51  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw the book was already at #15 on Amayons best seller list the day before it was official announce and the next day it jumped to number #1 on Amazons best selling list. Hopefully it's success will encourage it them to publish more Campaign Setting Books.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2020 :  22:32:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Btw the book was already at #15 on Amayons best seller list the day before it was official announce and the next day it jumped to number #1 on Amazons best selling list. Hopefully it's success will encourage it them to publish more Campaign Setting Books.

They've published tons of campaign setting books, they're just not producing the right ones (more FR, duh )
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2020 :  01:08:07  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’d like to note that Keith Baker is doing a massive book of new Eberron lore for the Guild next month. Some lore nerds could do the same themselves, should they want to.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2020 :  02:21:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I’d like to note that Keith Baker is doing a massive book of new Eberron lore for the Guild next month. Some lore nerds could do the same themselves, should they want to.

That sounds intriguing.

I'd love to have the creativity to do something like that myself, but my most creative moments are usually when I'm respinning someone else's stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2020 :  04:37:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found a bit more info on ENWorld: Here Are The Cards In Laeral Silverhand Explorer's Kit

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2020 :  05:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That sounds intriguing.

I'd love to have the creativity to do something like that myself, but my most creative moments are usually when I'm respinning someone else's stuff.

The one thing I've thought about doing along those lines is a book for DMs explaining exactly how Realmsplay works: that the setting is about conspiracies and secrets as much as it is dungeons and dragons. Ed has explained all of this here and there, of course, but putting it down in one place - as a "this is how you really run the Realms" would help a lot of people get the setting over and above the mess of the 5e adventure books.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2020 :  14:41:37  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Found a bit more info on ENWorld: Here Are The Cards In Laeral Silverhand Explorer's Kit

Well, that's boring as sh--, uh, as boring as it can get.

30 bucks for some cheap dice and printed Wikipedia entries? Meh.

*Side note, I have no clue how cheap the dice may or may not be, but their value is degraded by my disdain of this release.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2020 :  22:25:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

quote:

Well, that's boring as sh--, uh, as boring as it can get.

30 bucks for some cheap dice and printed Wikipedia entries? Meh.

*Side note, I have no clue how cheap the dice may or may not be, but their value is degraded by my disdain of this release.

I stopped buying the non-adventure "Forgotten Realms" products after "Volo's Guide to Monsters". Once bitten and all that ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2020 :  00:50:03  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I stopped buying the non-adventure "Forgotten Realms" products after "Volo's Guide to Monsters". Once bitten and all that ...

-- George Krashos

I had to go look up what book you were even talking about! 'Oh, 5e, never mind!' was my thought.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000