Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Koryo Reckoning
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2020 :  12:58:50  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
About Tu Pe, we have :

In the shelter of the ferry's huge stone bulwarks, a floating city has grown, starting around the year 1200 by our reckoning-it was begun by a large number of Karak refugees tying their junks to the famous "Long Pier."

and about Wo-Ha Ui-jung :

"The sitting dog is lost, last used by the hero Niofu Sangto, who defeated the Kozakuran navy in the Battle of Wui Eyong (Koryo 812)."

Apparently, there is no such thing as a Koryo calendar.

Does dating these events -812 and -1200 according to Shou Lung's calendar seem appropriate to you?

Or what do you think these dates could correspond to?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 04 Jan 2020 13:01:38

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2020 :  13:49:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Koryo

quote:
#8593; The history of Koryo and the Han people as presented in Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms: Volume II is scattered, mostly disconnected, or without context. The two local calendar years of "Koryo 812" and "1200" have no connection to any other calendar or event, nor to a present date. Furthermore, parts are told in flashback, related by characters speaking several years before the setting date of 1357 DR. Therefore, except where specified, the dates of many of the following events are unknown and the chronology is hypothetical.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2020 :  15:23:58  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wrote that FRW article. The chronology is my best guess, the note is me throwing up my hands in defeat. :) There's really no way of dating Koryo's calendar and history, and any attempt to create one is guesswork and homebrew.

So, on that note...

I think the events are relatively recent (within the last few centuries), given the current (albeit one-sided and vague) state of war with Kozakura, and the Kozakurans' former occupation of Karak. The theft of the Hu'i Wing was "ten generations or more" before the KTCS date of 1357 DR. If a generation is ~25 years, it would be some time around 1100 DR or earlier. In addition, refugees fled Karak for Tu Pe "starting around the year 1200". Assuming one occupation, then 1200 KC is before ~1100 DR, but maybe not by more than a century. So, I estimate KR and DR to be somewhat close, within a century.

The coiled dragon "has been lost for 2,000 years". I linked this to the downfall of the old Han/Chinhan people, which seems associated with the eruption of the Kanko Volcano, perhaps in the #8722;600s DR. I noticed the Year Of Flames Rising, #8722;650 DR, seems a good fit for this. (I noticed you used a similar approach for estimating dates for Bawa, Ashakrak.)

Looking at the known events for Shou Lung, Wa, and Kozakura, I was able to construct homebrew narrative for Koryo. For example, when Shou Lung invaded Wa in #8722;275 DR, one can assume a later failed invasion of Koryo, when Han people hid their jade as they fled.

So, when I did some development for the venerable Kara-Tur Redux discussion, I created a Koyoan calendar that began two years after the Kozakuran (supposing a past liberation from them), where KC = DR + 73.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki

Edited by - BadCatMan on 04 Jan 2020 15:24:54
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  22:27:53  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very useful

I will use the following dates :

-650 Year of the Flames Rising for The coiled dragon (has been lost for 2,000 years)
as you said, seems a good fit for this.

1086 Year of the Seer's Fires; for Karak refugees (1200 Koryo) and the theft of the Hu'i Wing
This year seems appropriate to me because Hu'i Wing is a huge copper brazier (...) will see them flash white as time is torn and fades into a picture of the future.

698 Year of the Voracious Vole; for the Battle of Wui Eyong (812 Koryo)
1200-812=388 and 1086-388=698
This year's name comes in handy because the sitting dog might (...) cure stricken crops (...)

Edited by - Asharak on 08 Jan 2020 22:28:42
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  22:51:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The worst part of the Kara-Tur book is how unorganized it was.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 08 Jan 2020 22:52:02
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2020 :  11:41:17  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is often the case when there are several authors.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2020 :  21:24:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe BadCatMan,

Nicely done on narrowing it down that far. I started doing periphery searches on things that might mention the battle, etc., to no avail.

Always frustrating to see that kind of outcome.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

I wrote that FRW article. The chronology is my best guess, the note is me throwing up my hands in defeat. :) There's really no way of dating Koryo's calendar and history, and any attempt to create one is guesswork and homebrew.

So, on that note...

I think the events are relatively recent (within the last few centuries), given the current (albeit one-sided and vague) state of war with Kozakura, and the Kozakurans' former occupation of Karak. The theft of the Hu'i Wing was "ten generations or more" before the KTCS date of 1357 DR. If a generation is ~25 years, it would be some time around 1100 DR or earlier. In addition, refugees fled Karak for Tu Pe "starting around the year 1200". Assuming one occupation, then 1200 KC is before ~1100 DR, but maybe not by more than a century. So, I estimate KR and DR to be somewhat close, within a century.

The coiled dragon "has been lost for 2,000 years". I linked this to the downfall of the old Han/Chinhan people, which seems associated with the eruption of the Kanko Volcano, perhaps in the #8722;600s DR. I noticed the Year Of Flames Rising, #8722;650 DR, seems a good fit for this. (I noticed you used a similar approach for estimating dates for Bawa, Ashakrak.)

Looking at the known events for Shou Lung, Wa, and Kozakura, I was able to construct homebrew narrative for Koryo. For example, when Shou Lung invaded Wa in #8722;275 DR, one can assume a later failed invasion of Koryo, when Han people hid their jade as they fled.

So, when I did some development for the venerable Kara-Tur Redux discussion, I created a Koyoan calendar that began two years after the Kozakuran (supposing a past liberation from them), where KC = DR + 73.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000