Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Help tweak custom spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cosmar
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  22:13:26  Show Profile Send Cosmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi guys,

I have a handful of custom spells for 3.5 (meant for wizards/sorcerers but I don't see why most/all of them wouldn't also be able to have divine versions). I'd like some help balancing them and assigning them a proper level (and maybe come up with catchier names). They are as follows:

Energy Cleansing

Abjuration
Level: ?
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 object
Duration: Instantaneous.
Save: None or Will (see text)

By use of this spell, you can remove all personal auras and past history from a single object. If the object is mundane, it gets no save. If it's magical, it gets a will save with a bonus equal to the minimum caster level and ability modifier needed to have created it.

The effect of this spell is that it effectively "forgets" anyone who previously owned it, rendering it useless as the focus of divination spells like Scrying, and spells and items like Legend Lore and Gloves of Object Reading do not offer any information (because the information is effectively erased).

Additionally, if the object is somehow tied to or keyed off of a previous owner, this connection is severed.

Material component: a pinch of burnt sage and an amethyst worth at least 10 gp.

----------

Cloak of Curses

Necromancy
Level: ?
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level.
Save: None or Will (see text)

This spell shrouds the caster in a nimbus of crackling black energy. Anyone who attempts (even if they don't succeed) a melee attack against the caster during the duration suffers a -4 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks and saving throws for 2 full rounds. Anyone already under the effect of this spell who attempts another melee attack against the caster must make a Will save or be nauseated for one full round. After the effect wears off, no enemy can again be effected by the same casting of Cloak of Curses.

Material component: A scrap of a burial shroud.

-----

Mercurial Magelight
Evocation
Level: 1? 2?
Components: S, M
Range: Personal or long (see text)
Target: Special
Duration: 1 hour/level

The caster silently manipulates the crystal in his hand until it dissolves and transforms into an immaterial ball of blue-white light.

Upon casting, the magelight sheds light as a torch. As a move action, the caster can make the light dim to that of a candle, or increase to illuminate an area of 10 feet per caster level. As a move action, he can also alter the color of the light from its standard blue-white to green, red, or purple.

The light can remain floating about the caster's head and following him similar to an ioun stone. Alternatively, at any time during the duration, the caster can send the light to any point in space within long range within line of effect of the caster. Once done, the light remains fixed to this spot for the duration or until dismissed.

The magelight counters but does not dispel any darkness spells of equal or lower level.

Material component: A white quartz crystal.

------

Any thoughts?

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  23:00:56  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Energy Cleansing - Nondetection is a 3rd level spell that lasts for 8 hours, so you could reskin that into a Ritual. However, I saw the idea of making it a Downtime Activity (same time to craft an magic item) which is mentioned in this discussion regarding "permanency" https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/104743/how-are-spells-made-permanent-in-5e

Cloak of Curses - Remove the -4 and give the attackers Disadvantage (5e doesn't do much static value modifiers). I would model this after Bestow Curse. Since this affects attacks, skills, and ability checks it would be 3x more powerful than the 3rd level necromancy spell (Bestow Curse). On the other hand, the Holy Aura spell seems to work as well (just reskin it as a "Cursed Aura" or "Unholy Aura"). IIRC, 5e also doesn't have any spell durations based on levels anymore, so I'd make this 1 minute (same as Bestow Curse and Holy Aura).

Mercurial Magelight - Dancing Lights and Light are both cantrips that last 1 minute and 1 hour. However, the Crown of Stars (7th level) spell does exactly this for 1 hour and you can hurl the spheres for damage. Sounds like the Crown of Stars, but without the damage effect. If you don't intend to do damage, then I'd reskin Crown of Stars to a 1st level spell that lasts 1 hour and only has 1 mote/light. You could make it a Ritual which could last 8 hours, etc.

Edited by - jamesewelch on 23 Dec 2019 23:04:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000