Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 I need swamp lackeys for a hag
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  12:46:47  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
First of all, this is not a job offer.

I'm planning to ambush my PCs group with a tribe of humanoids, lackeys of a green hag (long story). First i planned ogres, but I think it could be fun having a monster able to swim or jump in the mud, making the combat more difficult.
At least, funny for me, the DM.
I was thinking about bullywugs, but the PCs are at level 5, and I need something more difficult.
Any suggestions, anyone?

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  14:43:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try these guys

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22150&SearchTerms=Swamp+orcs

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  15:36:43  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Try these guys

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22150&SearchTerms=Swamp+orcs

Thanks but they lack the swamp-swim movement I need.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  15:44:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My next suggestion would be Hagspawn.

You can have as many as you like, give them classes/levels and make them as dangerous as you want.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  17:37:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

My next suggestion would be Hagspawn.

You can have as many as you like, give them classes/levels and make them as dangerous as you want.

Hagspawn are canonically in the Utter East.

I gave an unofficial backstory for why they might be found in the Haglands west of Dragonspear Castle in the North. See Under Illefarn Anew.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  21:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go for some powered up lizardfolk or lacedons (water ghouls).
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2019 :  01:56:02  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I'm going to catch flak for this but... Water Genasi born of myriad other swamp folk? Have them not all be the same but a mismatched group from lizardmen to bullywugs and even a human or halfling parent to show that the hag had cobbled together these lackeys specifically. They have the natural land & water movements that you want.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2019 :  02:00:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Genasi need not necessarily be of Human stock specifically correct?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2019 :  02:12:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, lizardmen are excellent swampers.

Or, yes, good old bullywogs, a "common" monster which PCs never seem to actually encounter.

Or some slimy slaadi if you're feeling cruel.
Illithids if you're feeling especially malign.
Hydras or a young black dragon might be interesting, too,if your PCs are geared up for the challenge.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 20 Dec 2019 02:15:42
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2019 :  02:13:20  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to their write-ups from 3e to 5e they are humans specifically. I never understood such a segregation especially since there are other races that have more in common with the elemental denizens from which the genasi are born. That's why I "house rule" that (see my signature).

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2019 :  05:14:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Genasi are written up as human/planar mixes -- but there are other planetouched. So I don't see why you couldn't take a regular water genasi, make it lizard folk, and maybe change an ability to make it something different.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Regar Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
21 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2019 :  20:45:19  Show Profile Send Regar Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After due thinking, I believe boggarts are the best option.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2019 :  06:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might have to do a little homebrewin’ but sivs are an option.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2019 :  20:20:03  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lizardfolk are always a good stand by when you are looking for a swamp related encounter. Put a lizardfolk cleric/shaman of the lizardfolk deity Semuanya in the mix as well, if you want more of a challenge for the party.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)

Edited by - Nilus Reynard on 21 Dec 2019 20:20:50
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2019 :  01:32:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like lizardmen because they're intended for swampy and semi-aquatic environs but they're just as thematically suitable for deserts, plains, mountains, caverns, ruins, and dungeons. These might not be their "natural" or preferred terrain but they're sturdy enough to be found almost anywhere which has some water and isn't too cold.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2019 :  11:40:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not sure what edition you're looking for, so throwing out general ideas.
mud man
stone flyers can earth glide and look like winged cats
a creature composed of vegetation so that it blends in

vegepygmy chief and thorny (volo's guide to monsters)

slithering tracker (volo's guide to monsters)
Vengeance at Any Cost. The ritual for creating a slithering
tracker is known to hags, liches, and priests who
worship gods of vengeance.

wood woad (volo's guide to monsters) can tree travel short distances and could blend into a swamp

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 22 Dec 2019 11:53:49
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2019 :  15:49:14  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Genasi need not necessarily be of Human stock specifically correct?

Correct. All and any Genasi can come from any demi-human race. Moon elf Air Genasi, Rock gnome Earth Genasi, etc...
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  02:31:29  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another possible creature is a shambling mound. That seems like something that would dwell in swampy environment.

Nilus Reynard
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Mrestos Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
48 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2019 :  10:15:38  Show Profile Send Mrestos Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact, the hag has a shambling mound watching her dungeon inside a ruined and desecrated temple of Lathander.
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2020 :  02:54:14  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic. Shambling mounds were always a scary encounter for lower level characters.

Nilus Reynard
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2020 :  20:38:25  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go with Unseelie fey or those evil treants (I forget what they're called). Bullywugs, plant people, werewolves possibly?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000