Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The shift in the Karanok family
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2019 :  23:21:52  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the 2e era, the Karanoks are presented as the insane and cruel masters of Luthcheq, unambiguously monstrous cultists of Entropy who do little more than terrify their subjects and slaughter mages to feed their assumed god. Come the Spellplague, we see the heroic Ishual Karanok unite Chessenta, become widely beloved, and lift the death penalty on magic, and I believe granddaughter(?) Shala Karanok seems to be even-keeled, sane, and respectable. What caused this shift? Is there anything in canoj on this?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  01:22:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing to note is that a dungeon #178 magazine article on Chessenta has Entropy actually not in the city any longer and instead devouring large tracts of Chessentan Land. In theory, the sundering must have "put Entropy back in his box". Which brings up the question of "what happened to the land that he destroyed? Did something else come in to replace it?"

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  02:09:53  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guess that Ishual was just a sane guy and he "transmitted" sanity to his descendants? But no, there is no canon info about this change, beyond that the Karanoks of the 1400s are not the madmen of the past.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Another thing to note is that a dungeon #178 magazine article on Chessenta has Entropy actually not in the city any longer and instead devouring large tracts of Chessentan Land. In theory, the sundering must have "put Entropy back in his box". Which brings up the question of "what happened to the land that he destroyed? Did something else come in to replace it?"

Either there is a huge hole there (a normal hole? Or a more interesting hole in the fabric of the planes that leads to another dimension?), or Ao asked Grumbar to fill that land with new earth (as Grumbar is now the Realms' janitor).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Dec 2019 02:11:18
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  02:56:07  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There’s a canon conflict, as the FRCG describes Entropy as reduced to a tiny orb that orbits Shala’s head as the Crown Jewel of Chessenta.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  03:15:47  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should check Dungeon 178. There is an article about Chessenta, and there is a sort of micro black hole there, in the area known as the Maw of the God Swallower. According to the article, this region is related to Entropy.

EDIT: After a quick re-read of the Backdrop: Chessenta article, Entropy was freed from the orb of annihilation during the Spellplague (this explain why the item's proprieties changed), and now is located in the Maw of the God Swallower. So, the Crown Jewel of Chessenta is just a common orb of annihilation during the 4e era.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Dec 2019 03:24:45
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  04:28:36  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

You should check Dungeon 178. There is an article about Chessenta, and there is a sort of micro black hole there, in the area known as the Maw of the God Swallower. According to the article, this region is related to Entropy.

EDIT: After a quick re-read of the Backdrop: Chessenta article, Entropy was freed from the orb of annihilation during the Spellplague (this explain why the item's proprieties changed), and now is located in the Maw of the God Swallower. So, the Crown Jewel of Chessenta is just a common orb of annihilation during the 4e era.

Wild, thank you!

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  23:21:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Guess that Ishual was just a sane guy and he "transmitted" sanity to his descendants? But no, there is no canon info about this change, beyond that the Karanoks of the 1400s are not the madmen of the past.

quote:

Either there is a huge hole there (a normal hole? Or a more interesting hole in the fabric of the planes that leads to another dimension?), or Ao asked Grumbar to fill that land with new earth (as Grumbar is now the Realms' janitor).

If they just refill it, I kind of feel like they're not using a valid opportunity, in that THAT particular area even prior to the spellplague had been kind of "blank". I think it might be interesting if say more people from Abeir come over (i.e. maybe more dragonborn or maybe a new group of genasi freed from Kashimis with different viewpoints entirely)… or maybe another direction, since Chessenta does have some ties to shadow as well (look at shadowstone the novel)… maybe something to do with that (less fond of the last idea personally). Going another direction, since the nearby mountains and valleys are filled with dinosaurs, perhaps some "saurial" type residents of Abeir coming over might make sense (or even just more dinosaurs).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  15:48:47  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

They could also go old school and just use two wizards to cast greater mage hand, have two bags of holding moved towards the Maw, and then place in the other, boom: gate to the Astral Plane where that Maw was.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

quote:

If they just refill it, I kind of feel like they're not using a valid opportunity, in that THAT particular area even prior to the spellplague had been kind of "blank". I think it might be interesting if say more people from Abeir come over (i.e. maybe more dragonborn or maybe a new group of genasi freed from Kashimis with different viewpoints entirely)… or maybe another direction, since Chessenta does have some ties to shadow as well (look at shadowstone the novel)… maybe something to do with that (less fond of the last idea personally). Going another direction, since the nearby mountains and valleys are filled with dinosaurs, perhaps some "saurial" type residents of Abeir coming over might make sense (or even just more dinosaurs).

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2020 :  03:27:58  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader sleyvas,

They could also go old school and just use two wizards to cast greater mage hand, have two bags of holding moved towards the Maw, and then place in the other, boom: gate to the Astral Plane where that Maw was.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

Well, now I'm upset that all of my wonderful maps I have amassed from the forum don't have this lovely hole inside Chessenta.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/9/94/Chessenta_-_1480_DR_-_Mike_Schaley.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/350?cb=20110221230225

And with 5e having no maps east of Anauroch, I don't know if the artist of any future expansion will even have heard of the maw of the god swallower by the time they get around to updating that region.

What I am more interested in is how deep that gorge went into the world.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Plagueland

If the land returned to normal, did it fill in? There isn't a scale on that map but it would be likely around.. wow 100 miles across.
But how deep? I'm a bit of an underdark/underground freak so I'm curious.
Hello future researchers looking up the term " Maw of the god swallower " though!

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2020 :  12:44:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the maw of the god swallower on a map

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Chessenta

Its from a dungeon magazine article on Chessenta during the 4e era. Whether its gone or not now, dunno… but in general the area that it was placed within in Chessenta never had anything there previously (it was kind of a blank area). As to size, there's no idea given as to how deep into the ground that this went or how high above it it extended. Here's the description from Dungeon #178. Map is also in that product.

Maw of the God Swallower: Few places in all Faerűn are as feared as this expansive region of plagueland in south-central Chessenta. Unlike other pockets of Spellplague that distort terrain or bend natural laws, the Maw of the God Swallower is a growing cyst of utter annihilation. At its periphery, the sky darkens suddenly and the soil underfoot crumbles away to dust. Moving farther in, the scarred landscape suddenly falls away like a great penetrating wound carved into the soul of the world. At the heart of the void, suspended above the nothingness, hangs Entropy, the mere sight of which is said to shatter a mortal mind.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2020 :  23:05:02  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe PattysPlay,

Do you have another URL for that first link? It is coming up as unavailable.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2020 :  23:59:21  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So far all we know, the Maw could be a giant planar rift to gods-know-where. Also, wasn't Entropy an alias Tiamat was using? If so, you can set Tyranny of Dragons in Chessenta and just let Tiamat waltz right into Chessenta. No ceremony or arcane help needed.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  00:10:18  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

Entropy, which was a primordial, was an aspect of Tiamat prior to the Spellplague, but then I believe reverted back to full on primordial status upon being freed after Mystra was killed.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  00:49:32  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Learned Scribe PattysPlay,

Do you have another URL for that first link? It is coming up as unavailable.

Best regards,

Twas the same as silvas' I believe.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  00:49:42  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Master cpthero2,
Makes me wonder in that case for which side(s) did Entropy fight in the Dawn Wars, the Dawn Titans or the Estelar? Maybe Entropy played both sides.

quote:

Learned Scribe Delnyn,

Entropy, which was a primordial, was an aspect of Tiamat prior to the Spellplague, but then I believe reverted back to full on primordial status upon being freed after Mystra was killed.

Best regards,

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  02:23:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

I believe that Entropy didn't fight (I could be wrong, just going off of memory here). When it was turned into a sphere of annihilation, it was effectively sidelined, as far as I know. For example, Erek-Hus specifically fought against the gods and was destroyed. It seemed like it was pretty cut and dry as far as the fighting goes, which is why my best thought is that Ao, upon remanding Entropy to the effective prison of that sphere, knew Entropy would be the bully for the gods to do their jobs or get destroyed. So, based on that, I think Entropy was just in limbo at that point in time.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000