Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Looking for other fans of the 4e Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  09:10:49  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know the majority opinion here, and I’m not interested in rehashing fights that are now a decade old.

What I do want is to hear from folks who enjoyed the setting and played in it, especially stories from games directly shaped by the era, the Spellplague, and so on. I’m also dying to just chat about the setting of the time, and what everyone’s favorite corner of the map was.

Personally, I’m hyperfixated on Aglarond and the general eastern half of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Aglarond in particular is just brimming with plot hooks (war! political intrigue! racism! a refugee crisis!), while some of the nearby nations - Akanűl, Tymanther, High Imaskar, Chessenta, Turmish, and the Vilhom Wilds - all make for excellent supporting casts or shorter arcs. I’d also love to do a super low-power Impiltur campaign, focused on petty gangs and cults and local lords.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  14:41:50  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked that there was in-game explanations for why things changed. It wasnt like 3e were they just threw a different elven script at you with no explanation on why the Elves would make up an entirely new script for Espruar, changes like that really bug me, and makes it confusing for newer players. I'm not too keen on 100 year time jumps, but I prefer that over retcons. I dont mind changes, as long as theres a reason for it, makes the world seem more real to me, more alive, everything changes over time, yaknow?

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.

Edited by - The_Silversword on 15 Dec 2019 14:44:26
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  17:27:33  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 4e Realms are still my Realms of choice. I really enjoy that era of Realmslore, and I've customized it to my liking adding it a lot of lore from the core 4e materials.

I have had three campaings of note in the Realms, one in Neverwinter (the longest one, sadly currently dead because my players hated 5e changes to the city), one in Tymanther (a campaign version of many LFR adventures), and one in Laerakond (Returned Abeir).

Currently I'm working in my Tymanther campaign, designing that expedition to the ruins of Messemprar that was announced on the LFR and never made it to the light.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 15 Dec 2019 17:29:44
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  17:39:57  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

The 4e Realms are still my Realms of choice. I really enjoy that era of Realmslore, and I've customized it to my liking adding it a lot of lore from the core 4e materials.

I have had three campaings of note in the Realms, one in Neverwinter (the longest one, sadly currently dead because my players hated 5e changes to the city), one in Tymanther (a campaign version of many LFR adventures), and one in Laerakond (Returned Abeir).

Currently I'm working in my Tymanther campaign, designing that expedition to the ruins of Messemprar that was announced on the LFR and never made it to the light.

For the Neverwinter campaign, did you use the Neverwinter book? I think it’s one of the best supplements ever published; the super-specific player Themes are fantastic, and I keep wanting to write some for wherever I set my next game.

How did you deal with the lack of material for Tymanther and especially Laerekond? What was the latter game about?

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  18:12:15  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu
For the Neverwinter campaign, did you use the Neverwinter book? I think it’s one of the best supplements ever published; the super-specific player Themes are fantastic, and I keep wanting to write some for wherever I set my next game.

Yes, that book was the basis of that campaign. I also borrowed a lot of stuff from Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale.

It's still incomplete, but here is a dairy of that campaign. It lacks the last two chapters, but I guess you'll find it useful.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/User:Zeromaru_X/Project_Neverwinter?useskin=oasis

quote:
How did you deal with the lack of material for Tymanther and especially Laerekond? What was the latter game about?

As for Tymanther, there is a lot of lore, just that is scattered here and there. At the time, I had the first of the Brimstone Angels novel and the three first novels of the Brotherhood of the Griffon series, plus the LFR adventures set in Tymanther. Enough material for a small campaign. Also, I supplemented it with stuff from core 4e. For instance, I added the ruins of Ustraternes (from Remains of the Empire, Dungeon 165) near Djerad Thymar. It's a good adventure site.

Then I greatly enhanced my Tymantheran info with the last novels of the Brimstone Angels series. You can check the articles on Tymanther in the FR wiki, or check this topic here in the forum:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22750

As for Laerakond, again the LFR was a good resource. I've played the Embers campaign of LFR, and supplemented it with info provided by Ed Greenwood here on the forums. It's the shortest of my campaigns, but it was really fun.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 15 Dec 2019 18:16:01
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  18:41:51  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zeromaru, who were the PCs in the non-Neverwinter games? I’m so curious to hear - and thanks for sharing all this!

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  23:18:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in the areas you specify, but honestly, I'm more intrigued by the options opened up by 5e. Specifically keeping many of the 4e nations, but making them smaller, and RE-introducing returned portions of Chessenta, Unther, Mulhorand, and the Shaar. I've liked the idea of creating a returned group of far flung red wizard enclaves that were established in Anchorome, Lopango, and Katashaka across the sea while in Abeir (and Peleveran down in the Shaar, as well as some Chessentan cities that return).

One of the chief base ideas I've had is that people quite frankly didn't truly KNOW what happened with the spellplague, and a lot of cities that people saw as rubble were because portions of said cities travelled intact to Abeir.... and the remaining areas fell apart. So, portions of the wizard's reach that had disappeared, such as Laothkund, may be back. Some old Chessenta cities may be returned, and the current residents may not get along with their neighbors even though they are related if you go back 5 or so generations. The returning red wizards would be formed from Thayan citizens who fled their country for the promise of new lands elsewhere when the civil war started and was turning bad. Perhaps they sent their family members to remote enclaves for their own security (including a newly formed trade enclave in Fort Flame in Anchorome... a promise land with acreage for the taking and individuals seeking help to fend off an aggressive native population). I call this idea "the United Tharchs of Toril".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  01:07:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'm interested in the areas you specify, but honestly, I'm more intrigued by the options opened up by 5e. Specifically keeping many of the 4e nations, but making them smaller, and RE-introducing returned portions of Chessenta, Unther, Mulhorand, and the Shaar. I've liked the idea of creating a returned group of far flung red wizard enclaves that were established in Anchorome, Lopango, and Katashaka across the sea while in Abeir (and Peleveran down in the Shaar, as well as some Chessentan cities that return).

One of the chief base ideas I've had is that people quite frankly didn't truly KNOW what happened with the spellplague, and a lot of cities that people saw as rubble were because portions of said cities travelled intact to Abeir.... and the remaining areas fell apart. So, portions of the wizard's reach that had disappeared, such as Laothkund, may be back. Some old Chessenta cities may be returned, and the current residents may not get along with their neighbors even though they are related if you go back 5 or so generations. The returning red wizards would be formed from Thayan citizens who fled their country for the promise of new lands elsewhere when the civil war started and was turning bad. Perhaps they sent their family members to remote enclaves for their own security (including a newly formed trade enclave in Fort Flame in Anchorome... a promise land with acreage for the taking and individuals seeking help to fend off an aggressive native population). I call this idea "the United Tharchs of Toril".

I agree, 5e appears to contain resurrected elements of the past mixed with 4e elements and some completely new things.

Still most of the elements that were interesting to the OP are still there, plus new stuff.

One interesting thing are the mixing of restored older Kingdoms with 5e Cosmology. Like what does the Feywild, Shadowfell, and Border Elemental Planes look like near places like Mulhorand and Unther and Chessenta?
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  06:04:37  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zeromaru, who were the PCs in the non-Neverwinter games? I’m so curious to hear - and thanks for sharing all this!

I don't remember the characters my players used in the Embers campaign. I recall there was a warforged named Mark V and the typical human warrior named Dominic Santiago , but that is all.

Now, the Tymanther campaign is a full dragonborn campaing. All of them fought in the Giant War of 1479 DR (the plot of the Brotherhood of the Griffon novels) and became friends during service. After the war, they joined together to form the Charirisk Angkar (The Red Star Company) and now work as adventuring mercs.

I was thinking about sharing the campaign diary somewhere, so maybe I'm going to do it here.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  16:25:51  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'm interested in the areas you specify, but honestly, I'm more intrigued by the options opened up by 5e.

I, for one, I'm not interested in 5e. You may see interesting options there, but I only see a lot of wasted potential. I don't want to re-start edition wars, but really, I prefer High Imaskar (a benign, progressive magic empire of PoC descendants with no equivalent to real world cultures) over boring not-Egypt any day. Or the Underchasm (that brings a lot of potential campaign seeds) over just boring, nearly empty and unused plains.

Or a realm of dragonborn with no equivalents to real world cultures with a high fantasy feel over a failed humanocentric nation of evil for evil's sake that was destroyed since 2e and was brought back just for nostalgia's sake.

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  18:48:30  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, one of my big rubs with the Realms is the “from the real world!” stuff, and that’s a big part of why I like 4e and dislike 5e. I was glad to see Mulhorand gone.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  22:31:02  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the only thing that I don't like about Mulhorand and Unther (and Maztica, and other real-world carbon copies in the Realms) is that they are boring Hollywood-esque versions of earth world cultures.

I would happily allow on my campaign Ed Greenwood's version of Mulhorand and Unther, though. What I like of the 4e Realms is that embraces its high fantasy roots, instead of trying to be Greyhawk II. And Ed's original Realms feel high fantasy to me.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 16 Dec 2019 22:32:30
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  22:41:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, MY Mulhorand is more like Stygia from Conan's Hyboria...still very religious; but only with Set.

My Unther is much like Shem from the same world...and Chessenta works just find the way it is.

In my own FR, Thay broke away from Mulhorand because the Red Wizards didn't like being forced to be part of the Theocracy of Mulhorand's Set Cult; and the Untherites (much like the Shemites) broke away long ago to form their own squabbling city-states with many different gods.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2019 :  00:35:10  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is your Set egyptian Set or Conan's Set?

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2019 :  00:56:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is your Set egyptian Set or Conan's Set?

More LIKE Conan, but not exactly the same.

His “Priests” are a compilation of AD&D clerics who dabble in priestly matters and the more powerful magic-users who are really in charge. The most powerful among them are both classes with their current leader being a NE hm C15/MU26. He has no known name; going only by the name “High Scion”

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2019 :  02:12:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I do want is to hear from folks who enjoyed the setting and played in it, especially stories from games directly shaped by the era, the Spellplague, and so on. I’m also dying to just chat about the setting of the time, and what everyone’s favorite corner of the map was.

Well count me as one of the 4e FR fans here. Even though I played FR in 3e/3.5 I actually prefer the Post-Spellplague Realms more. I've run several FR campaigns but our two current ones are by far my favorites. The first is a continuation of an Avatar game (players play themselves as PC heroes) that started in 3.5 (1374 DR) and then survived the time-jump by attempting to use a two-way portal mirror to get back home but then got stuck in stasis for a century. Out they popped in 1479 DR. From there they continued their adventures, mostly accepting that access home is almost non-existent. They're mostly 17th level with a few leveling up into early Paragon by the next session.

Our second campaign is a collection of pre-made adventures that are woven together for a grand campaign. It started with the one-off called Escape from Sembia and they fled there to Shadowdale then to the North via teleportation. In the events there after, they defeated the threats to Loudwater (the mini-adventure from the FRCG) and then defeated the initial threat to Spellgard. After beating Thoran, they realized there was a much greater threat from the Shades (enter the LFR adventures Shrouded Visions [PREQ3-1] and From Dawn til Dusk [ADCP3-2]). They're almost done with the second, and they'll likely save Lady Saharel fr certain Doom but they'll have one final confrontation with Thoran in the end.

After, it really is up to them on where they want to go after that. I'm hoping they seek out a new place like Tymanther or maybe Aglarond or try the Lake of Steam. Regardless it'll be fun.

quote:

Personally, I’m hyperfixated on Aglarond and the general eastern half of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Aglarond in particular is just brimming with plot hooks (war! political intrigue! racism! a refugee crisis!), while some of the nearby nations - Akanűl, Tymanther, High Imaskar, Chessenta, Turmish, and the Vilhom Wilds - all make for excellent supporting casts or shorter arcs. I’d also love to do a super low-power Impiltur campaign, focused on petty gangs and cults and local lords.

Those sound like some really cool options. I like the low-power Impiltur setting idea.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  00:48:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since you're interested in the Aglarond area, you MIGHT be interested in an idea I was using for Post Sundering. It can be implemented separately from my full ideas of the United Tharchs of Toril. The idea would be that Laothkund has returned from Abeir and it has the former leader of the League of Samathar leading them (apparently released from magical imprisonment when Laothkund went to Abeir). It also has King Hercubes Jedea of Mordulkin helping him rule in the city (he fled here when Abeirans overran his city. Then as a result of the Sundering, we find out the Zulkirs Lauzoril Tavai and Lallara Mediocros escape from the special space where they'd been entrapped since facing off against Tam about 10 years prior, and they go to Laothkund and discover the descendants of red wizards whose great grandparents had gone to Abeir (and aren't necessarily evil). This could put a rebellious state opposing Tam on Thay's border with intent to challenge them.

IF … STRESS IF.... you are interested in a more in depth idea of what I was doing with the United Tharchs of Toril and Peleveran itself, here's some of what I'd written up as an overview for the Tharch of Peleveran … which is breaking off a portion of itself to form a new Tharch of the Wizard's Reach. To note, I have several other smaller tharchs and trade enclaves in Anchorome, Lopango, Katashaka, and even in orbit on a repurposed Netherese enclave (formerly doubloon, now known as the tharch of Luneira).

In 1487 DR, Zulkirs Lauzoril Tavai and Lallara Mediocros suddenly reappeared and returned to the city of Escalant, blaming their nine year hiatus on the collapsing of an unstable demiplane. They found their former red wizard subjects in disarray. They quickly set themselves to the task of taking control of the city again, and after killing those who were foolish enough to stand in their way, their fellow red wizards soon accepted their command again. Their power was much diminished however, for without effective leadership, many of the red wizards of Escalant had either died in struggles for power or left seeking a new life.

A few days later, the nearby city of Laothkund which had supposedly been totally drowned beneath the waves of the Alamber sea taking a large part of the Wizard's Reach coastline with it, suddenly reappeared. Word also spread that many ruined and drowned cities of Chessenta, Unther, and Mulhorand had reappeared, but their populations had often changed noticeably. The nearby Chondalwood which had been a plagueland began to stabilize. The Underchasm had disappeared and a portion of the dwarven great rift had returned.

What was more surprising though was that the city of Laothkund had returned and was being led by red wizards. As the reports came in, it seemed that many of these returned places held red wizards. Lauzoril and Lallara, along with their own hastily formed retinue of soldiers and red wizards, soon visited the city of Laothkund, where they were escorted to meet Samathar Dulsaer, Aulkir of Transmutation of the tharch of Peleveran, and Hercubes Jedea, Aulkir of Evocation and King-in-exile of Mordulkin. While the two zulkirs were astonished to find the founder of the League of Samathar alive and well, nearly five centuries after his disappearance and its fall, it was in fact the citizens of Laothkund who were most bewildered by the visit. It soon became apparent why when they were brought into a private room and images began to appear in several crystal balls. Gradually the faces of many red wizards begain to appear. Many of the faces were ones that they had presumed dead, such as Zulkir Yaphyll Sirtula, Zulkir Mythrell'aa, and the “First Princess of Thay” Dmitra Flass. To Lauzoril's great joy, his two daughters, Mimuay and Nyasia, whom he had not seen for over a century were still alive, and moments later came the confusion as Lauzoril saw himself walk up and put his arms around his two daughters.

For Lauzoril, the act of seeing himself somewhere else immediately set off warning bells. Thoughts of shapeshifters, illusions, and other deceptive uses of magic filled his head. Thus, it was that he was surprised when his other self actually spoke first by saying, “Well, this is interesting.... apparently we finally have the answer to if the god of necromancy CAN duplicate a soul in separate timestreams. Either that, or I am actually going insane as some predicted would happen if we ever met. Either way, alavairthae, friend... or maybe I should call you brother? What exactly does one call an awakened clone of oneself when the two finally meet after a century apart, that is of course if the natural insanity doesn't kick in? Perhaps we should meet in private to discuss the activities of the past century, as I'm sure you'd love to get reacquainted with our daughters. They've both turned into such cherished treasures this past century, and Nyasia I can tell already would just love to chatter your ears off. Oh, and of course Lallara you are welcome as well, as I'm sure you and Dmitra would enjoy discussing past times.”

Thus it was that the two Zulkirs found themselves down in the city of Upper Peleveran in the eastern Shaar, built atop the cliff's edge of the Landrise gorge where the reborn Cliffside City of Peleverai had been reestablished. Over the next few weeks, the story of the transfer to Abeir and subsequent involvement of the gods of magic in the saving of the red wizards, and the involvement of the red wizards in the saving of the gods in kind, was relayed. The story of the destruction of many of the cities of western Chessenta, and the need to expand in an environment surrounded by the forces of Karshimis the Tyrant, led into the story of their migration south into the eastern Shaar to the ruined city of Peleverai. They also relayed the negotiations that created an alliance between multiple remote trade enclaves, and even a hidden Netherese Flying Enclave amongst the Tears of Selune, to eventually form a new kind of Zulkirate known as the United Tharchs of Toril. While the tharch of Peleveran is perhaps its greatest tharch, there is no doubt that the majority of the strength of the conglomerate lay across the seas on the far flung continents of Maztica, Anchorome, and Katashaka.

Over the few months, the two groups shared much of what had happened over the past century on both worlds, but there was always a tension about which Lauzoril would remain Zulkir. It was actually the two Lauzoril's that worked this out between themselves, for they agreed to share the votes of an Aulkir and a Zulkir between them in national matters, but that in local matters to a tharch, each would be treated as a full Zulkir. This of course was dependent on the formation of a new tharch along the Wizard's Reach combining the power of the cities of Escalant and Laothkund. It was also agreed that some of the resources, including entire cities, of the tharch of Peleveran, would transfer their leadership to this new “Tharch of the Wizard's Reach”. In addition some red wizards of Escalant would take up roles of leadership. With all the upheaval it was agreed that rushing this transition could lead to disaster, and thus the transition into fully-fledged tharch has been being negotiated now for the last three years, but it should be finalized in the coming months.

In all, it looks like the Tharch of the Wizard's Reach will consist of the cities of Laothkund, Escalant, Cimbar, and Soorenar, as well as the smaller villages of Tilbrand, Lasdur, Teth, and Taskaunt. However, it plans to expand, and these expansion plans are also what has taken so long to form this new Tharch. For instance, Aulkir Samathar wants to take over the city of Erebos, for it has become a symbol of Tchazzar's remaining might, and he would see all trace of the dragon turned god who imprisoned him destroyed. Meanwhile, Aulkir Hercubes Jedea and the entire Jedean clan would like to recapture their home city of Mordulkin, which is currently held by genasi once of Shyr. The Chessentan city of Toreus, meanwhile, has had its red wizard enclave infiltrated by Zulkir Lauzoril of Escalant, and many of its red wizards are helping with the local criminal organizations to hire pirates, mercenaries, and merchants to aid the capture of all of Mordulkin, Toreus, as well as the holdings around Watcher's Cape, including the mental subjugation of the heads of the Crimson Sea Maritime Priakos.

While the member cities of the forming Tharch of the Wizard's Reach strategize for expansion, the actual Tharch of Peleveran comprising the northernmost portion of the eastern Shaar works to simply hold onto what it already has. The transferral back to Toril from Abeir opened up a jagged gash in the earth, which the locals refer to as Ki's Cleft, devastating many local farms and small villages along this line. With the landrise on their western border, and the thick Chondalwood forest on their northern border, and Ki's Cleft and the Great Rift on their eastern side, they are fairly well insulated from attack for now. This isolation is a bit of an issue with trade, but thankfully the portals to the other tharchs remain viable, and therefore life continues more peacefully. This is a welcome change for the inhabitants of the tharch who have ostensibly been at war with Shyr for near the entirety of the last century. Of course, some inhabitants are less happy about the current situation, particularly amongst the population that lives beneath the landrise.

There is a growing race of half-elves amongst the population of Peleveran. These half-elves are dusky brown to grayish-black in skin coloration, and they are some of the original Crintri population of Dambrath. They transferred to Abeir as a result of the spellplague because three of Queen Hasifir's daughters were tasked with travelling to the Shaar to prove which would be most worthy to succeed her. These three daughters, Sessifex, Halifaern, and Jessimir Hazm'cri, were tasked with gathering wild stallions and mares in the Shaar and bringing back “the best herd” (to be judged by Queen Hasifir and her trusted advisors based on herd size and quality of the horses). Each daughter was also told to bring back whatever wild specimens of beasts that they thought would be entertaining for the Queen's personal menagerie, and these beasts would also factor into the choosing of the best herd. Each daughter brought along twenty of their closest Crintri female friends, forty male Crintri (including several of their own brothers), and two hundred Arkaiun humans to serve as servants, external guards, and rustlers for the herd.

When the red wizards and their former Chessentan allies arrived in the Shaar to explore the ruins of Peleveria several years after the transfer to Abeir, they found these Crintri princesses and their servants already taking shelter in the caves. The two groups agreed to aid one another, for both were obviously lost in this new world. Through careful negotiation, Lauzoril of Peleveran solidified relationships with local centaur, wemic, and gnoll populations, as well as the local barbarian tribes of the eastern Shaar. A portion of the Great Rift had also transferred to Abeir, and while the dwarves inhabiting it did not join the tharch of Peleveran, the two groups did sign treaties of aid and non-aggression. In fact, were it not for the aid of the tharch of Peleveran, these dwarves would have been slain by the aggressive acts of Shyr several times over. The dwarves, in return, were more than happy to help teach the humans of the tharch of the art of engineering, and soon, with raw materials brought in from other tharchs, the city of Upper Peleveran was constructed, as well as dozens of small villages, schools, and forts.

Deeper exploration of the underdark beneath the landrise via the Cliffside City of Peleveria also discovered several small dark elf settlements, including the subterannean cavern-complex of Vaerndoun which stretches for over a hundred miles beneath Torsch. Many of the drow were taken as slaves by the red wizards and the Crintri both, resulting in a large number of half-drow children in this tharch. Most of these children remain in slavery, only gaining their freedom by performing military service for an extended span (more than thirty years). Most who have attempted to gain their freedom have not survived long enough to enjoy it.

While Upper Peleveran and the Cliffside City of Peleveran have become the heart of the Tharch, the city of Hardcastle has become something of a lifeline with the transfer back from Abeir. A quickly built wooden bridge has been created to span Ki's Cleft to allow overland caravan traffic to come and go into the lands of the old empiress, and Hardcastle is responsible for holding this connection safe. Meanwhile internally within the tharch, the great Palmsky Falls Earthmote can be seen for miles, with the great Lake Skypalms beneath it and its attendant rivers working as an artery network for boat transportation within the tharch. This portion of the Shaar is not the dry savannah that it had been a century ago, primarily due to the activities of the red wizards in creating thousands of decanters of endless water from a strange metal found within the earthmote. Agriculture and animal husbandry are key to the survival of this tharch, and they have even begun the promotion of growing trees transported in from other areas of the world.

Still, the tharch is not complacent. The city of Lower Peleveria, with its crintri autharch Sessifex Hazm'cri, plots to travel south into Dambrath and reclaim her homeland. The Halruaan mages of the city of Hathel continue to plot revenge against the Halruaans who chased them out. The Chessentan city of Akanax was restored while in Abeir, and many inhabitants of northern Peleveran who are adverse to magocratic rule, particularly amongst the Chessentan and Crintri stock, have been migrating out of the tharch to establish themselves near Akanax for some time now. Meanwhile, Lauzoril of Peleveran and many of the other mages of this tharch look eastward to the Uthangol mountains and the Council Hills regions as potential areas of exploration, expansion and development.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  02:42:29  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not the OP, and I cannot answer for them. But, IMHO, while I encounter your ideas interesting, they have a BIG issue for me: it relies in the changes brought by 5e to the setting. And I, for one, enjoy the state of the 4e Realms in this particular region.

I have some questions about your ideas, but I guess we should open a new topic for this? I mean to not distort this topic, that's about those who enjoyed 4e Realmslore.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Dec 2019 02:44:34
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  21:49:05  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a side note, since I'm sure most of the 4e D&D fans at least viewed this threat, I just got an email from Wizards of the Coast stating they're doing away with the Character Builder and D&D:Insider altogether effective December 31st, 2019. Since Internet Explorer is being eliminated Silverlight (the software DDI runs on) will no longer be supported. I suggest you grab as much info (Compendium/Dragon and Dungeon magazines/Characters via Exports/etc.) off the site now before it's gone in a few weeks.

As a continued consumer of DDI for a decade, I'm upset at the direction considering that Silverlight still works on other internet options and it was literally costing them nothing to maintain it. I get that they're into the 5th year of 5th Edition, and that's great, but it still hurts. IF anyone has ways to continue to support 4e via other sources (aside from physical copies of supplements) then I'm all ears.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  22:00:14  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that is really sad news, though not something unexpected. It's incredible that they still showed support to an edition they maligned themselves.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2019 :  23:44:00  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And that is really sad news, though not something unexpected. It's incredible that they still showed support to an edition they maligned themselves.

4E isn't completely dead,they use a modified form for the board games and only rescently has the 4e PHB gone out of print (although you can still buy it in PDF form).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2019 :  01:35:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

4E isn't completely dead,they use a modified form for the board games and only rescently has the 4e PHB gone out of print (although you can still buy it in PDF form).

Well so long as the books are around, PDF or physical form, the edition will survive. For my group, we used the the Compendium far more often than the Character Builder, so that reference tool being removed is going to be a pain. I do have most of the 4e books but I am missing a few like the Monster Manual 3, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, and maybe some DM specific stuff (like the The Plane Below: Secrets of the Elemental Chaos).

I did see that Hero Labs by Lone Wolf does have a 4th Edition Character Builder and I was able to procure an off-line CB for 4e Too so not all is terribly lost. I'm just sad because this does feel like they [WotC] are simply using the ending of Internet Explorer as a convenient excuse to push people towards 5th Edition.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2020 :  09:55:43  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Digging through some older materials and it’s frustrating how many nations are slight variations on “a land with a good ruler, relative peace, and a lot of wealth from trade.” I’m struggling to distinguish the non-Chult nations of the Peninsula, for instance. It honestly makes me appreciate the blunt instrument the Spellplague was.

(As an aside, boy howdy is 4e Chult racist! No notable settlements but those of outside colonizers, largely described as jungles full of savage and cannibals - something 5e’s ToA barely improved on.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000