Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Why has the Aglarond-Thay war stopped?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2019 :  22:11:02  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In 4e’s setting, Aglarond was fighting what sure seemed like a losing war against Thay, who was invading them with an army of undead supplemented with orc and gnoll mercenaries; come 5e, the scant info we have says that the fighting has stopped because Aglarond’s ruling council has “backed away from hostilities,” as if they were the aggressor. Any insight folks might have on this?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  01:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I am correct Szass Tam rules Thay in that time and his quarrel was mainly with Rashemen so it make sense to focus on that instead of having all your surrounding nations hate you.
I am not strong in 4e/5e lore so I might be wrong...
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  02:30:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aglarond may not have been the aggressor but they were also not entirely reluctant participants. The two nations share a long history of mutual antagonism.

I'm guessing that "backed away from hostilities" simply means that Aglarond hasn't (yet) chosen to retaliate against Thay regardless of Thay's apparent weakness.
And I'm guessing that there's less impetus for war (along with less firepower and real chance of victory) without that belligerent and hateful Simbul creature always looking for ways to hurt the reviled Red Wizards.

But what is the source of your quoted text? The surrounding context might provide more explanation.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  07:48:16  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

If I am correct Szass Tam rules Thay in that time and his quarrel was mainly with Rashemen so it make sense to focus on that instead of having all your surrounding nations hate you.
I am not strong in 4e/5e lore so I might be wrong...

He’s not invading over any quarrel, he’s doing so to use the land of Aglarond as fuel for another go at ascension, since his attempt in Thay failed and can’t be replicated on the same land.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Aglarond may not have been the aggressor but they were also not entirely reluctant participants. The two nations share a long history of mutual antagonism.

I'm guessing that "backed away from hostilities" simply means that Aglarond hasn't (yet) chosen to retaliate against Thay regardless of Thay's apparent weakness.
And I'm guessing that there's less impetus for war (along with less firepower and real chance of victory) without that belligerent and hateful Simbul creature always looking for ways to hurt the reviled Red Wizards.

But what is the source of your quoted text? The surrounding context might provide more explanation.

Quote is from the SCAG, and is preceded by essentially saying their longtime mutual enmity was partly due to the Simbul.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  23:06:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, let's face it, he had his poker in a lot of fires. He was gathering chosen and having them experimented on. He was sending people down into Chult to research there. He was messing around in Neverwinter. He was facing off against Rashemen and the leader of the Eminence of Araunt. He had forces in Mulmaster. He may have just lost focus on Aglarond, and they said "ok, let's catch our breath".

Then the Sundering happened, and lord only knows how many of his enemies have returned (a lot of them if I have my stuff happen).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  23:21:06  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For years the Simbul was single-handedly holding back Thay from Aglarond; and yet after the Smellplague when the idiots in charge took out all the Chosen, Thay doesn't take over or even try to take over Aglarond? It makes no sense, just another plot hole to add to the pile (of crap).

Sorry if anyone is offended, obviously just my opinion. But there are many sources that say the Simbul is the only thing that kept Thay from taking over the area.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  00:16:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

For years the Simbul was single-handedly holding back Thay from Aglarond; and yet after the Smellplague when the idiots in charge took out all the Chosen, Thay doesn't take over or even try to take over Aglarond? It makes no sense, just another plot hole to add to the pile (of crap).

Sorry if anyone is offended, obviously just my opinion. But there are many sources that say the Simbul is the only thing that kept Thay from taking over the area.

Aft
except that when the spellplague happened Thay was in the middle of a civil war... and then there was ten years of magical upheaval. Prior to the Thayan civil war, if she had vanished, yeah, maybe. After the start of the Thayan civil war though, they were preoccupied. Then once things settled down, there for a while, Tam was just trying to keep everyone out while he constructed his special towers which took decades. So, I see that more of a "keep them on the defensive so they don't mess up my plans" type of scenario. Then the Zulkirs ruined his plan.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  00:54:18  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose you can hand wave it wasn't a priority, given all the events, but they seemed to write Thay and Szass pretty aggressive in other areas of the Realms after the Smellplague settled. Hard to believe Thay's immediate neighbors and worst enemies for decades would be just left alone to live peacefully for 100 years... To me, it's a plot hole they didn't try to take advantage of the Simbul being gone and wipe out Aglarond or take it over after all that occurred. In 100 years.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  15:43:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the other areas might be more valuable real estate on a "how much effort to conquer versus what I get" than conquering Aglarond. Not saying that that IS the case, but we don't exactly know WHAT makes a land valuable for the ritual he was trying to invoke. For that matter, we don't know that HE truly knows what makes a land valuable for the ritual OR even if the ritual isn't just an elaborate hoax that he fell for (which is an idea I prefer). For instance, Neverwinter, he may have been seeking to leech off the trapped dawn titan (which honestly, I've never read the novels, didn't play the video game, nor do I have the 4e Neverwinter campaign, though I may try to pick it up, since people said its good.... its odd I was much more interested in Neverwinter 20 years ago). His interests in Mulmaster might be similar, but then they had some kind of magical issues there that devastated that city as well.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  16:31:21  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Tam's ritual to work he needs a land that is marked with the essence of massive amounts of deaths. Neverwinter is useful for this because all the casualties of the Ruining, for instance.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  16:49:33  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suppose you can hand wave it wasn't a priority, given all the events, but they seemed to write Thay and Szass pretty aggressive in other areas of the Realms after the Smellplague settled. Hard to believe Thay's immediate neighbors and worst enemies for decades would be just left alone to live peacefully for 100 years... To me, it's a plot hole they didn't try to take advantage of the Simbul being gone and wipe out Aglarond or take it over after all that occurred. In 100 years.

Or you can say that it wasn't just Simbul who defended Aglarond... I get she is powerful but she is still only one caster - you can be at only one place at the time. This can create a new question of what is really going on in Aglarond and what truly keep Thay at bay...
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  18:54:12  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They weren’t peacefully left alone, though? Thay and Aglarond are actively at war in 4e - Thay has captured an Aglarondan city, and recruits constantly sally forth from Citadel Dantalien - so I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. Both 4e corebooks paint a grim situation for Aglarond, who is stated to not have the forces to protect every front and is struggling where they do have troops.

EDIT: Also, do you have to call it the Smellplague?

Edited by - keftiu on 16 Dec 2019 18:55:26
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2019 :  14:47:33  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu
They weren’t peacefully left alone, though? Thay and Aglarond are actively at war in 4e - Thay has captured an Aglarondan city, and recruits constantly sally forth from Citadel Dantalien - so I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. Both 4e corebooks paint a grim situation for Aglarond, who is stated to not have the forces to protect every front and is struggling where they do have troops.

From what you wrote it seems that Aglarond were loosing the war. It means that Thay must had a reason to leave them (to focus on other problem requiring army?).
I would not be surprised to find out that authors had no good reason to do that and only wanted Aglarond free again. I would suggest to study the lore finding what is happening in the area and make your own judgement.
As I have said there might be some other protection of Aglarond beyond Simbul that Thay found about only later in the campaign and decided to back off. Or there might be a renewed activity of Mulhorand against Thay that forced them to abandon Aglarond...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  20:23:54  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Seravin,

ROFL....you had me laughing my ass off there!!! :)

Smellplague...lol That is epic, and fitting. It smelled like the manure it was the entire time. I honestly felt bad for the people that were just trying to make an honest living writing the material while WotC was being the manure shoveler's that they are. You are definitely correct when you says it was all a "pile (of crap)." Agreed. A large, smoldering pile of crap.

I agree with your assessment of the heavy writing that went on regarding Thay and Aglarond. There is too much value to Aglarond for them Thay to not push. I mean, the magic in the Yuirwood alone is like crack to a crackhead. You *know* Szass Tam wanted that whole grain goodness. Not to mention, he could probably rope in the Emerald Enclave for a bit, by striking a bargain that says Thay would ensure no damage to the woods as long as they can pick clean the powerful magic in there. I mean, that would likely be a good deal for the Enclave as they are more on the evil side than good or neutral for sure.

Szass Tam definitely had many irons in the fire, but proportionately, Aglarond power base wise, economically (shipping, water, etc.), resources, and the dead that would help him with his spell would all be perfect. You don't need to wage war across a continent. Militarily speaking, that is way more valuable for them to just go next door, i.e. supply lines, logistics, forward progression, weather.

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  05:31:14  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cpthero2, the childish edition-warring and the needlessly cruel jab at those with addiction are as unnecessary as they are insulting. Please try to stay on topic.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  06:04:32  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Seravin,

I have to agree with your 100 year point in the sense that, there was really no good reason for the war to stop between Aglarond and Thay. As you pointed out, Szass Tam with proximity would have continued to bring:

• Conventional forces to exhaust their military might
  • Used guerilla operations with lesser races, i.e. goblins, etc. to deplete resources through fires, and more
  • Use generic forms of disease promulgation with infected animals, clothing and more to cause widespread death and mayhem

Those are just a few that are classics for warfare new and old that I think Szass Tam would have been using. Prosecuting wars at distance, as I mentioned earlier, stretches supply lines, increases the logistical challenges, and opens a nations military might to attacks as they are enroute to their current destination, not to mention the challenges with leaving themselves open at home. I just think the nations that had the right resources to get things done didn't really press in the way they could have, which is why I don't think there is a good answer as to why the war stopped.

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  03:11:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thay-Aglarond conflicts have always been based on assymetrical warfare. Some armies and some major battles. But no grand strategic campaigns involving progressively staged objectives, long-term logistical planning, neitralization/indoctrination/extermination of non-friendly populations, etc.

It's more about small units led by elites (wizards and witches). They may field large numbers of animated, enfhanted, conjured, or illusory troops - but when the spellcaster falls all the subordinate units vanish or desert (or turn against their former commander's allies). They may recruit mercenaries and monsters, but such troops become a liability when their (dead) employer can no longer buy their loyalty.

Szassy didn't sustain much interest in warring vs Aglarond. The Zulkirs-in-exile had more immediate problems. That vicious Symbul creature got ghosted. All the suspicious, plotting, grasping little Reds and Witches concentrated on their own selfish power games but none would dare attempt to engage an entire nation in battle.

So not a lot of war. Not even motivation to cold war. Just simmering opportunism, skirmishes and flares, no commitment from major players and no real firepower for those major players to commit into expensive battles anyhow. Can't get yourself pinned down in a war against the enemy because it puts you in a weak situation which all your other enemies will use to their own advantage.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  03:26:36  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thay-Aglarond conflicts have always been based on assymetrical warfare. Some armies and some major battles. But no grand strategic campaigns involving progressively staged objectives, long-term logistical planning, neitralization/indoctrination/extermination of non-friendly populations, etc.

It's more about small units led by elites (wizards and witches). They may field large numbers of animated, enfhanted, conjured, or illusory troops - but when the spellcaster falls all the subordinate units vanish or desert (or turn against their former commander's allies). They may recruit mercenaries and monsters, but such troops become a liability when their (dead) employer can no longer buy their loyalty.

Szassy didn't sustain much interest in warring vs Aglarond. The Zulkirs-in-exile had more immediate problems. That vicious Symbul creature got ghosted. All the suspicious, plotting, grasping little Reds and Witches concentrated on their own selfish power games but none would dare attempt to engage an entire nation in battle.

So not a lot of war. Not even motivation to cold war. Just simmering opportunism, skirmishes and flares, no commitment from major players and no real firepower for those major players to commit into expensive battles anyhow. Can't get yourself pinned down in a war against the enemy because it puts you in a weak situation which all your other enemies will use to their own advantage.

The picture you paint doesn't align with the 4e lore in question: that Bane wants him doing conquest and that he needs new land to fuel another shot at the Dread Ring ritual now that Thay is spent. He's a man singularly-devoted to the issue of his ascension, such that he orchestrated a coup and blighted his entire homeland. Aglarond is his weakest neighbor, so the idea that the conflict has simmered down because the Simbarch Council (shown to be too weak to control crime in their own capital, to say nothing of the active conspiracy to replace them with an arisrocracy) could end the war by backing down in laughable.

The story, if any, is that the Thayan Resurrection made enough trouble for Tam to turn his attention inward, but given 5e's aversion to ever detailing anything we'll likely not see how Thay bounced back for years if ever.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  06:00:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe it's a matter of bad writing, or rather a lot of writing from many writers which sunk under its own weight into a collaboration of disjointed themes.

WotC invented a number of large ideas involving Thay (and Thay's prominent characters), then reinvented them several times while smashing 4E in place. End result looks (to me) like a bunch of partially-completed story arcs which never gained momentum and just turned into a messy story/history full of gaping flaws. 5E has attempted to patch manu of the worst flaws, but Thay seems to still be something untouchable, something between taboo and pariah.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  06:45:37  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

I can certainly appreciate that accurate history with those two nation-states.

I figured if the time to strike conventionally without the big guns with the wizards and witches, would be when this all went down though. Of course, they did not plan (as far as we know) for conventional approaches this way, so it could be moot by way of a lack of expertise, training and force projection.

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  06:49:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

That sounds pretty dang accurate to me right there. The prices that are paid: rough.

Best regards,

quote:

I believe it's a matter of bad writing, or rather a lot of writing from many writers which sunk under its own weight into a collaboration of disjointed themes.

WotC invented a number of large ideas involving Thay (and Thay's prominent characters), then reinvented them several times while smashing 4E in place. End result looks (to me) like a bunch of partially-completed story arcs which never gained momentum and just turned into a messy story/history full of gaping flaws. 5E has attempted to patch manu of the worst flaws, but Thay seems to still be something untouchable, something between taboo and pariah.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  07:21:32  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I personally see a coherent-enough arc; Thay, land of magocrats and slavers, sees the value on extending soft power through trade across the continent, which proves too slow for Szass Tam’s ambitions, leading to his coup, failed attempt at ascension, and current position as someone burning through resources and allies to try again. I think the story flows well enough, and I think a necromantic Thay slaved to Tam’s ambition is a perfectly fine villain to define a campaign around, which I assume was the 4e intent. Hell, if you like the old mercantile Thay, a 4e Dungeon issue literally describes a group of them now as a standalone enclave, and I’m sure others exist. Nothing about that screams “bad writing” or anything more objectionable than “it was a change some didn’t like and also deserves scorn because it was 4e.”

And I think 5e’s idea of Thay is an interesting enough one, too, where other forces have restored some normalcy but aren’t strong enough to topple Tam. You could probably tell a damn good story with some of that.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  13:09:54  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone who labels themselves a "4e fangirl" in their signature, then says anyone who hates 4e changes to Thay must only hate it "because it was 4e" rather than any actual bad writing/plot holes, amuses to me. Reversing that, it wouldn't be nice of us to say you can't see flaws in changes to the setting, no matter how bad they are, simply because you are a "4e fan girl"; right?

As a side note:
I'm a huge fan of the Realms, especially Ed's version and vision. I don't care for forcing popular trends in other fantasy like Warcraft's Lich King onto an area of the Realms that is very unique. The iconic Red Wizard of Thay is an image/idea Ed created as far as I know. Zulkir specialist wizards ruling a D&D maigc school and also ruling an ambitious, morally corrupt trading empire was unique, very detailed in the source books, and fascinating to me! The Simbul, sat in Aglarond, holding back the expansion of Thay's infighting rulers made her character very interesting to me too. The Simbul's Gift is an excellent novel, and the 2nd edition box set on Thay and Aglarond and Rasheman is really good.

What is not interesting to *me*, and nothing to do with edition wars I believe, is a Lich King ruler of an undead nation-state. The popularity of Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft coinciding with the WOTC editorial decision to make Thay an Undead Kingdom with a lich-king ruler may or may not be a giant coincidence, but I'd put my money on it beign a shallow, crass marketing ploy to tap the Warcraft market.

I think were I in charge of WotC at the time, Szass would have been beaten by the Zulkirs, left Thay, and set up his nation in Vassa- which already had a Witch-King and would be perfect for undead nation state territory. Plus with Game of Thrones rising, you could do a whole cold / undead tie in and leave Thay as Ed intended. No one uses Vassa anyway, and it is basically set up for the purpose I envision. But I'm not in charge of anything but my own campaign.

Back on topic - Thay's abandonment of the expansionist against Aglarond for 100 years+ when the Simbul wasn't around to defend it is something that isn't really addressed properly in the lore / novels / source material. There are multiple published sources that state the Simbul is really the only thing holding them back as they don't have the manpower in armies to stop invasion coupled with Thay's magic. That's all people are trying to say here in this thread; it feels very much like a plot hole that Aglarond was left alone for 100 years (Which if so is bad writing by definition, objectively speaking as a plot hole).

I always hated that the Zulkir of Invocation didn't have any contingency spells on him, despite that contingency spells are Invocation/Evocation school of magic, and Aznar was written as the most paranoid man in the Realms in The Simbul's Gift, but apparently completely at ease with going defenseless in the Undead trilogy as extremely poor writing and a plot hole. But feel free to explain that to me too? RLB admitted he never read The Simbul's Gift by the way, which is a pity for those of us who care about consistency in a shared setting.

It seems to make sense to you that Thay would be ultra aggressive elsewhere in the Realms, including far away Neverwinter for instance, but ignore the weakest, defenseless, struggling neighbour next to it. Everyone can have their opinion. But could it be be that your opinion has something to do with your signature rather than any objective view?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  19:49:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still would have preferred to see the Thayan Civil War I've discussed before: Szass Tam makes a play for power but it doesn't go as planned, and some Zulkirs side with him, while others -- including the Red Wal-Mart guys -- set up a Thay-In-Exile government in Mulmaster.

Both sides would have been working against the other, and just about every power group in the Realms would have some sort of involvement -- either stirring things up between the two factions, or trying to aid one faction over the other. Some groups would be doing it for their own power, some just to make money, some would work against one or both groups for ideological reasons...

I'm not saying it would be like the clumsy faction stuff that WotC's doing, with groups being involved in issues that have no interest to them and are clearly beyond their sphere of influence... But given the reach of the Red Wizards and their varied interests, a lot of groups would have reason to interfere, to varying degrees.

It would be a huge opportunity for role-playing, because of that... And for me, at least, far more interesting than Generic Necro-Land #17.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  20:57:06  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I still would have preferred to see the Thayan Civil War I've discussed before: Szass Tam makes a play for power but it doesn't go as planned, and some Zulkirs side with him, while others -- including the Red Wal-Mart guys -- set up a Thay-In-Exile government in Mulmaster.

Both sides would have been working against the other, and just about every power group in the Realms would have some sort of involvement -- either stirring things up between the two factions, or trying to aid one faction over the other. Some groups would be doing it for their own power, some just to make money, some would work against one or both groups for ideological reasons...

I'm not saying it would be like the clumsy faction stuff that WotC's doing, with groups being involved in issues that have no interest to them and are clearly beyond their sphere of influence... But given the reach of the Red Wizards and their varied interests, a lot of groups would have reason to interfere, to varying degrees.

It would be a huge opportunity for role-playing, because of that... And for me, at least, far more interesting than Generic Necro-Land #17.

I mean, that very much could be somewhere in the 5e story since we don’t know how Thay went from Tam’s nightmareland to 5e’s return to status quo.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  21:07:38  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Seravin,

Great point about 4e: I concur! I also concur with your observation regarding Szass Tam. I think he was cool as hell as the Zulkir of Necromancy, but to have that whole nation go undead was a bit silly. Of course, it really never happened anyhow. That civil war went on a while, and it all that back and forth with people like Yaphll that just made it a pretty insane situation. Ultimately, 1385 rolled in and whatever he was doing got wrecked by the marketin....uhhh.......the Spellplague.

Anyhow, moving on from that nightmare as you were saying too.

As to the expansionist idea, I agree of course, since that is what I said up above earlier. The Simbul was listed multiple times as being the only thing holding Thay back. Aglarond would have been wrecked by Thay/Tam during that 100 years. Even if it wasn't by Thay, other nations would have destroyed them during that time. The geographical, military, and economic position of that country is much to valuable for them to not have been annihilated.

quote:
It seems to make sense to you that Thay would be ultra aggressive elsewhere in the Realms, including far away Neverwinter for instance, but ignore the weakest, defenseless, struggling neighbour next to it. Everyone can have their opinion. But could it be be that your opinion has something to do with your signature rather than any objective view?

Again: I concur.

As I mentioned with supply lines, logistical issues, i.e. feeding, armoring, clothing, crossing multiple nation-state borders, would have been much worse for Thay than to just go stomp a mudhole in Aglarond and finish it off. While they were there, finish off the pesky Emerald Enclave while they are sitting around as essentially petty gardners in the woods with nothing of practical power to do.

Best regards,

quote:

Someone who labels themselves a "4e fangirl" in their signature, then says anyone who hates 4e changes to Thay must only hate it "because it was 4e" rather than any actual bad writing/plot holes, amuses to me. Reversing that, it wouldn't be nice of us to say you can't see flaws in changes to the setting, no matter how bad they are, simply because you are a "4e fan girl"; right?

As a side note:
I'm a huge fan of the Realms, especially Ed's version and vision. I don't care for forcing popular trends in other fantasy like Warcraft's Lich King onto an area of the Realms that is very unique. The iconic Red Wizard of Thay is an image/idea Ed created as far as I know. Zulkir specialist wizards ruling a D&D maigc school and also ruling an ambitious, morally corrupt trading empire was unique, very detailed in the source books, and fascinating to me! The Simbul, sat in Aglarond, holding back the expansion of Thay's infighting rulers made her character very interesting to me too. The Simbul's Gift is an excellent novel, and the 2nd edition box set on Thay and Aglarond and Rasheman is really good.

What is not interesting to *me*, and nothing to do with edition wars I believe, is a Lich King ruler of an undead nation-state. The popularity of Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft coinciding with the WOTC editorial decision to make Thay an Undead Kingdom with a lich-king ruler may or may not be a giant coincidence, but I'd put my money on it beign a shallow, crass marketing ploy to tap the Warcraft market.

I think were I in charge of WotC at the time, Szass would have been beaten by the Zulkirs, left Thay, and set up his nation in Vassa- which already had a Witch-King and would be perfect for undead nation state territory. Plus with Game of Thrones rising, you could do a whole cold / undead tie in and leave Thay as Ed intended. No one uses Vassa anyway, and it is basically set up for the purpose I envision. But I'm not in charge of anything but my own campaign.

Back on topic - Thay's abandonment of the expansionist against Aglarond for 100 years+ when the Simbul wasn't around to defend it is something that isn't really addressed properly in the lore / novels / source material. There are multiple published sources that state the Simbul is really the only thing holding them back as they don't have the manpower in armies to stop invasion coupled with Thay's magic. That's all people are trying to say here in this thread; it feels very much like a plot hole that Aglarond was left alone for 100 years (Which if so is bad writing by definition, objectively speaking as a plot hole).

I always hated that the Zulkir of Invocation didn't have any contingency spells on him, despite that contingency spells are Invocation/Evocation school of magic, and Aznar was written as the most paranoid man in the Realms in The Simbul's Gift, but apparently completely at ease with going defenseless in the Undead trilogy as extremely poor writing and a plot hole. But feel free to explain that to me too? RLB admitted he never read The Simbul's Gift by the way, which is a pity for those of us who care about consistency in a shared setting.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  21:14:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

First off: "Red Wal-Mart guys" is going in the goody bag for future use for sure! haha

Second: I agree as well with the civil war deal, as I did with Master Seravin, to a point. Force projection of regular units, i.e. Infantry, cavalry, supply/logistics, would have been far to difficult for nation-states post-Smellplague. They Realms never deals with such mundane factors because there is all the cool magic and stuff....until there is no magic anymore, then the regular fighting forces are the real deal. The issue is that countries really didn't have planning in anything I've ever read that really went to demonstrate a long distance deployment on foot to deal with this kind of stuff. Generally speaking nation-states kept a pretty tight bit of control proximate to their nation and within, but that was about it.

So, going back to what Master Seravin and I were saying is: Aglarond was right there, and The Simbul was really all that was keeping Thay back. It would have been over in 100 years.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  23:30:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, those who know me know I've gone a different path, but one that kind of aligns with the goals of 5e. Basically, I feel the Tam taking over Thay and turning it into undead land was no good. I'd prefer that he get ousted and setup an undead place somewhere in the hordelands where he can still be a problem, but not one in Thay. Meanwhile the rebellious faction starts to restore Thay to its traditional racist, enslaving, weather controlling roots and they try to restore their land.

Where I differ is that I have my United Tharchs of Toril idea which has numerous small to mid sized collections of cities (tharchs), individually held cities, and trade enclaves throughout Anchorome, Maztica, Lopango, and Katashaka, plus occupying the returned city of Peleverai in the Shaar and a recaptured netherese enclave in orbit. None of these are particularly powerful in and of themselves, and their main power is in their connections and trade. Each "tharch" or trade enclave also varies a lot from their Thayan roots. For instance, the Lopangans are NOT racist any longer and in fact have interbred with the locals of Maztica/Lopango. Other tharchs have embraced technology as well as magic, because while on Abeir magic was less dependable. Some tharchs have become more about information brokering, trade, etc.... Some tharchs have embraced slavery, but ONLY if its non humans. Some tharchs (particularly in Peleverai) find themselves running in multiple directions now that they've returned to Toril and all their neighbors have changed in the blink of an eye (for instance, there is a significant Crintri population that was to recapture Dambrath and a Chessentan population that wants to restore some old Chessentan cities and doesn't appreciate the current Chessentan rulership).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  23:57:02  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

to restore Thay to its traditional racist, enslaving, weather controlling roots and they try to restore their land.

Guess I prefer more the undead-governed Thay now... (emphasis mine)

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  01:50:02  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

I can see your outlook there. I don't like the idea of Szass (we're on a first name basis now) running an undead Thay because it just sounds silly to me. He just wouldn't have the resources to make that work well IMHO.

That being said, I do love having Thay as one of the many intolerant places in the world. Plenty of bad places to promulgate much to fight against. Then again, I have a hyper intolerant Realms that I run as that's just how medieval, largely uneducated people were.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Well, those who know me know I've gone a different path, but one that kind of aligns with the goals of 5e. Basically, I feel the Tam taking over Thay and turning it into undead land was no good. I'd prefer that he get ousted and setup an undead place somewhere in the hordelands where he can still be a problem, but not one in Thay. Meanwhile the rebellious faction starts to restore Thay to its traditional racist, enslaving, weather controlling roots and they try to restore their land.

Where I differ is that I have my United Tharchs of Toril idea which has numerous small to mid sized collections of cities (tharchs), individually held cities, and trade enclaves throughout Anchorome, Maztica, Lopango, and Katashaka, plus occupying the returned city of Peleverai in the Shaar and a recaptured netherese enclave in orbit. None of these are particularly powerful in and of themselves, and their main power is in their connections and trade. Each "tharch" or trade enclave also varies a lot from their Thayan roots. For instance, the Lopangans are NOT racist any longer and in fact have interbred with the locals of Maztica/Lopango. Other tharchs have embraced technology as well as magic, because while on Abeir magic was less dependable. Some tharchs have become more about information brokering, trade, etc.... Some tharchs have embraced slavery, but ONLY if its non humans. Some tharchs (particularly in Peleverai) find themselves running in multiple directions now that they've returned to Toril and all their neighbors have changed in the blink of an eye (for instance, there is a significant Crintri population that was to recapture Dambrath and a Chessentan population that wants to restore some old Chessentan cities and doesn't appreciate the current Chessentan rulership).

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  02:33:55  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does the earth medieval era have to do with the social mores of the Realms? Furthermore, why buck Ed’s own words on the setting as a widely tolerant one outside of Evil cultures?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000