Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Scardale and the factions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Twilightorder
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2019 :  19:34:55  Show Profile Send Twilightorder a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm running a campaign in Scardale where one of the characters is Lashan's heir, and it's during the occupation. The character has declared himself the heir and taken power, but the area is devastated still and the various factions still hold great power.

After learning the Sembians were secretly using a group of merchants and thugs (the Iron Throne in our game) to strong-arm the area, the new Lord banished them (and the Zhents too for other reasons).

I'm trying to debate how Sembia would handle this. I was thinking they might leave the area and take all their support from it, in the hopes that he will come seeking their help realizing they can't rebuild and survive without Sembia's help, or that they will just somehow use the Iron Throne group to hurt Scardale even more, or even that they might actually use their military (something I prefer not to do and I don't think they would either).

I want to keep it realistic to what Sembia would do, as this is a very long term world we have been playing in for a long time, using different groups. We are going to do a Birthright style system there too now that he is Lord, trying to rebuild the area and expel all the factions and agents and bandits in the area, while also adventuring too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I would love to learn about anything else published about Scardale and the area during that period. Thank you!

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2019 :  21:12:16  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a bit on Lashan in Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Twilightorder
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2019 :  21:30:04  Show Profile Send Twilightorder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh nice thank you I will look that up.
Go to Top of Page

Regar Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
21 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2019 :  22:18:43  Show Profile Send Regar Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With Sembia being an economic power, rather than a military potence, I think the Merchant Princes could try the economic blockade. That could oblige the PCs to find new and controversial trade partners.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2019 :  22:20:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the time of 5th edition (not the time you are talking about obviously) Sembia has absorbed Scardale.

I never liked that take on things.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2019 :  23:38:07  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that most of the powers would try either to kill the heir or get him under it's influence. If somehow he managed to declare and hold his position of lord without their support they would try to influence him or undermine his authority to get their power back. If he wants to banish some powers from the area he has to use army big enough to enforce this or he risk losing his authority.
Even if he manages that it would be hard to get rid of such as Sembia or Zhents from the whole dale as they would have their people in many places around who could seriously disrupt peace in the dale...

If you want to use Birthright rules than he would have to eliminate their holdings (Law, Guild) in all provinces.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2019 :  00:17:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even destroying all Law 0 and Guild 0 holdings would not mean all agents were gone...just the ability of those factions to acquire power and influence things to a degree.

It is hard to totally eliminate agents.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Twilightorder
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2019 :  01:16:16  Show Profile Send Twilightorder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Regar Khorvaen

With Sembia being an economic power, rather than a military potence, I think the Merchant Princes could try the economic blockade. That could oblige the PCs to find new and controversial trade partners.

Go to Top of Page

Twilightorder
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2019 :  06:41:21  Show Profile Send Twilightorder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that idea a lot. That would make sense for Sembia. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Regar Khorvaen
Acolyte

Spain
21 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2019 :  10:59:48  Show Profile Send Regar Khorvaen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twilightorder

I like that idea a lot. That would make sense for Sembia. Thank you.

Be my guest.

Another ways could be:
- Finance another pretender to the throne.
- When Scardale is on its financial knees, a providential savior appears to offer a loan. Later they know that samaritan is working for Sembia.
- Send counterfeiters to ruin local coin.
- FInancing coursairs or bandits.
Go to Top of Page

Twilightorder
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2019 :  06:03:03  Show Profile Send Twilightorder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do like that idea. I was thinking that they would have control of the law and guilds there in Scardale too, or at least part of them for sure. Thanks for the ideas, that's awesome.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000