Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 KO with lethal weapon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2019 :  17:25:31  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, rules states that you only need to specify non-lethal as you drop an enemy to 0hp to say you want to put him KO and stable. But how do you make it work with weapons which realistically don't put people KO like a crossbow (exception made of the boxing glove arrow of course).
Do you just go with it for the sake of simplicity or do you have some rule variant that help making it more logic?

(I'm totally aware that I overthink realism too often. Problem is my players too so I need to be 1 step ahead)

thanks and nice evening!

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2019 :  00:19:19  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carter7Gindenv

Hello, rules states that you only need to specify non-lethal as you drop an enemy to 0hp to say you want to put him KO and stable. But how do you make it work with weapons which realistically don't put people KO like a crossbow

The same as with rifle. Stock to the head, but trying to not break the skull.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2019 :  01:50:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoot the target in the foot. Pin him down. Or at least pin his shoe down.

Hitpoints (and damage to them) are already abstracted. So it might be assumed that non-abstracted details happen every time the dice roll. If you're already playing an abstract rule system then only provide role-playing fluff explanation (crossbow bolt knocks down a heavy branch which falls on target, knocks target off his feet, jams his visor, whatever) when it's actually needed.

Blow-by-blow descriptions, maneuvers, and tactics add a lot of immersion to the game. But they also slow combat down, you have limited playtime so you have to simplify or ignore these details to get combat done and keep the game moving. D&D evolved from wargames, it's kinda senseless to let it devolve backwards.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000