Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Warlock Knights of Vaasa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Turtleking
Acolyte

Finland
2 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2019 :  22:17:14  Show Profile Send Turtleking a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings oh mighty masters of Realmslore!
This humble former lurker and a recent member wishes to use your mighty knowledge and begs thoughts on a matter in his mind.

Mainly, referring to this year old post in Sage Advice: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/10/17/the-cold-lands-of-forgotten-realms/

Someone has been more informed than me, since I was still in my 4th edition thinking that Warlock Knights served Telos, Primordial fallen from the sky. Apparently it isn't so. I'm only curious about sources where this kind of thing might have been mentioned. Quick re-reading through Rise of Tiamat and Out of the Abyss (these were mentioned in the Sage Advice post) do not mention the Warlock Knights.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2019 :  16:15:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, the part I think you're concerned with is Ed saying this

"The warlock knights serve Orcus, yes, but not all of them realize that, as their pacts are with various of his servitors. What they are directed to do depends on what you as DM deem happened in Out Of The Abyss. "

I would venture that Ed simply messed up. Someone may come along and correct me, and lord knows I haven't read through out of the abyss (I have bought it, just haven't made the time to read it after hearing that it was like every abyssal lord involved). HOWEVER, it wouldn't surprise me if Telos is under the control of Orcus. It also wouldn't surprise me if Telos and Timesus the black star aren't the same being. Basically, both are primordials made of some kind of black material (one is black crystal... the other is the black metal called ironfell), and people break them up and the components are used for things. Timesus is tied up with the "shard of evil" that corrupted the Abyss, and Orcus is into that. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow Timesus/Teloc, Orcus, and the demoncysts of Eltab's domain getting tied to Toril weren't related if someone developed a story for it (I also wouldn't be surprised if this has relations to the artifact in Thay).

Another option is of course that "the voice of Telos" (or whatever he's called) is actually just hearing Orcus and doesn't even know it.

From the 4e module Prince of Undeath, which gives a rough overview of Orcus' involvement with Timesus
But all of these efforts pale before Orcus's ultimate aspiration. In order to achieve it. the Prince of Undeath acquired an ancient primordial, a creature called Timesus the Black Star. Few primordials were feared as much by the original gods as Timesus.

Through the efforts of various servitors, from the cultist Kalarel, to the dragon Urishtar and Elder Arantham, to the Ghoul King Doresain. Orcus's grand plans have progressed to their endpoint. Now the Demon Prince has gained Timesus the Black Star, a primordial whose power was once so incontestable that an entire divine armada went down in defeat before it.

The primordial, trapped in stasis, was unearthed from its prison and broken into chunks of blackstar rock. The chunks were transported in crates from the Shadowfell to Sigil, and then to the White Kingdom, deep within the Abyss. Orcus plans to reconstitute the pieces of the primordial. returning Timesus to its original state. The Demon Prince has one improvement to make upon the primordial, however. Orcus wants to turn Timesus into an undead creature-so that it will better serve the Demon Prince of Undeath.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 10 Nov 2019 16:23:06
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  12:49:23  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the fiend knights from Greyhawk as a template. Not canon, but I think it fits
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2019 :  01:26:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to pretend Ed just messed this up. I don't like how WotC is changing 4e lore just to please some fans of older editions (and I'll going to left this at that)...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000