Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Midnight Gambol of Erevan Ilesere
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  03:54:12  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Midnight Gambol of Erevan Ilesere: Elven High Magic Spell

Conjuration (Summoning)
Spellcraft DC: 165
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 2 minutes
Range: 3 mile radius
Effect: Conjures up a temporary elven Mythal for 12 hours.
Duration: 12 consecutive hours (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: None

This very rare Elven High Magic spell is known to only a handful of divine casters, currently in the name of Erevan Ilesere in Faerun. First is Curudin Ahmaquissar; Moon Elf High Mischiefmaker and Chosen of Erevan Ilesere in Silverymoon. Second is Fryndalith Fallingstar; Star Elf Queen of Siildiyurii's western foothills. Third is Zarrathadath Witherwindle; Lord Deception of the Copper elves of The Star Mounts. Fourth is Shanathalil Le'Quell; Gold elf Lady of The Knaves of The Missing Page, and Divine Prankster of The Ardeep Forest. Fifth is the mysterious Wild elf Favored Soul known as "Spiral", who haunts the Shilmista forest.

Only the most devoted divine casters can begin to understand this Epic High Elven spell. Once cast, the spell spreads out to a 3 mile shell in height and width. It lasts for 12 hours. From Midnight to 12 noon the following morning. During this twilight time the caster can invoke up to 6 defensive spells that they already know as a free action at any point they wish on command without taxing their spell casting limits for the day. The caster can also invoke 6 spells that can buff or de-buff allies or foes freely for the entire 12 hours.. Finally, this spell allows you to converse with all Fey creatures at a +10 Charisma check.

Effects:

*Creatures within the temporary Mythal that are invited or friendly gain a +5 bonus to Charisma, Willpower, and Dexterity rolls. Enemies make the same rolls at -10 within the boundaries of the Gambol.

*You select your drink of choice at the end of the spell and that particular drink will refill all glasses that remain inside the borders of the Gambol for the duration of the spell.

*The Gambol itself calls to any follower of Erevan Ilesere with bravado and stealth to play a prank on a lawful person and cause chaos as if under a greater Guise spell. (You can avoid this with a one time only DC20 Will save)

*You can summon up to five 10'th level Treants during the duration of the 12 hours the spell lasts to act as guardians or messengers.

*The Midnight Gambol beckons all Fey creatures within 3 miles to gather at the epicenter of the celebration. No saving throw included. Magic resistance is at -5 for this effect for the duration of their stay in The Gambol against their will.

*A +5 divine bonus to all attack and critical hit rolls made on enemies inside the Gambol, Caster decides who enemies are.

*All creatures inside the perimeter of the Gambol that are friendly to the elven pantheon gain a +5 luck bonus to all leadership skills.

*In the event of an enemy, the caster can choose to implode the combined energy and power of the Gambol and spell to deal certain death on a single or multiple targets. Any hostile being of 10HD or under is slain immediately within 2 miles of the implosion. Any creature of 15HD or under gets a Fortitude Saving throw (DC50) at a -5 penalty. Any creature of 20HD or greater gets a saving throw as normal or is slain by the chaotic energies of the elven god of chaos. This event ends the Midnight Gambol immediately and all benefits no longer exist.

*All creatures within the boundaries of the Gambol are compelled to
drink and feast at a -2 to willpower saves.

*All 0 level spells are treated as 2 levels higher when cast by anyone within the gambol.

*Any enchantment spell you may cast has a 15% chance of rebounding on the caster within the Gambol.

*Any Illusion spell you may cast has a 25% chance of failure within the borders of the Gambol.

*All Clerics of trickster deities that celebrate the Gambol are empowered with Damage reduction/ magic while under this high magic spell.

*All creatures within the Gambol receive a +2 luck bonus on all Fortitude saves.

*There is a 5% chance that the Avatar of Erevan Ilesere himself will show up and bless the Gambol as the DM sees fit.

*There is a 2% chance that a LeShay will appear and try to take over your job as the spell-caster. (In which a fight ensues.)

I can use some help on this, so all and any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

CEV

Edited by - Copper Elven Vampire on 02 May 2020 06:37:18

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2019 :  07:33:05  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need help guys and girls.

Turning the Gambol into an elven high magic spell as a singular caster spell is very hard, but it's within the rules. Help please.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2019 :  09:51:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Turning the Gambol into an elven high magic spell as a singular caster spell is very hard, but it's within the rules. Help please.

You don't have enough information here. You need to talk about the seed used and the math for the DC.

Based on a brief skim, the DC looks way too low. You are combining some nice fluff, with some unbeatable charm and some super-death effects.

Pick one theme, not 3 and dial it back or the DC will make it unusable.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2019 :  10:02:41  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The saves and effects are all over the place. At a glance:

-Charisma is not a saving throw.
-create food and drink is cool, I guess, if a bit limited.
-higher levels of what? Epic spells are only castable by 21st level characters and above, and the minimum save DC, assuming your caster has 20 in his spellcasting attribute, is 24. Also, kind of a bizarre curse.
-what's a leadership skill?
-there is no death saving throw in 3rd edition.
-10th level treants die horribly to 15th level characters, much less epic level ones
-the will penalty here is superceded by the greater one in your first paragraph.
-who even casts cantrips at epic level. That +2 bonus to cantrip caster level is ridiculous.
-that's a good way of screwing over friendly casters, since illusion and enchantment are the schools most associated with the fey.

Not to be mean, I'm guessing you just took a random Spellcraft DC and slapped it on the spell.

At minimum, the spellcraft seeds are conjure, fortify, afflict, slay, summon, compel and contact, which is a DC of 133.

I don't have the DC for the mythal seed at hand, so add that into the pile and it's probably 160-ish.

Edited by - LordofBones on 21 Sep 2019 10:04:48
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2019 :  11:27:21  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys... I'm really not that good at math. I try... I do.

I'll try to figure this out starting with LOB and then moving on to Eric.

"-create food and drink is cool, I guess, if a bit limited." - The caster must supply enough food and drink... lots and lots of drink at a Gambol for X amount of creatures... again I don't have the epic math. This seems a moot point. If you are a cleric of Erevan and cannot cast enough divine created food and drink, you're lame.

" Also, kind of a bizarre curse." - I'm glad you said this as bizarre tends to fit the chaos of the Gambol. I welcome any help you have to make this curse flow better?

"what's a leadership skill?" Typo... my bad. Feat.

"there is no death saving throw in 3rd edition. " Saving throws against death effects. Sorry, I tend to blend Advanced D&D to 3.5e. I guess Fort saves against.

I'm old and work a lot. My bad.

"10th level treants die horribly to 15th level characters, much less epic level ones" - Let's make it 20th level Treants then.... But if none are available in the current forest then lower level ones will have to do. He/She is not creating them.. just summoning them.

"-the will penalty here is superceded by the greater one in your first paragraph" - then go with the first one. lol

"who even casts cantrips at epic level. That +2 bonus to cantrip caster level is ridiculous" - No, not at all. Not all creatures invited or summoned to the Gambol are epic level. Any and all creatures are welcome. You may have a 1/2 level Grig that could benefit from this.

"-that's a good way of screwing over friendly casters, since illusion and enchantment are the schools most associated with the fey" - EXACTLY!!!! Point made.

I need help with the spell DC for a elven high magic seed. conjure, fortify, afflict, slay, summon, compel and contact are all rpic, but we all know that EHM's go beyond that. So yes I need math help on this.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2019 :  11:37:52  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

You don't have enough information here. You need to talk about the seed used and the math for the DC.

Based on a brief skim, the DC looks way too low. You are combining some nice fluff, with some unbeatable charm and some super-death effects.

You are correct... I don't know my Elven High Magic seed with correlation to epic spell status.

Can you help me? Basically it's this... You're invited, or you just show up uninvited but welcomed. Or you're compelled by the sheer power of the spell within 2 miles.

There must be some defensive spell action against enemies that may try to breach the Gambol. Looking for a mini, semi-permanent Mythal. Hence the imploding thing.

I'm trying here. I'm trying to tackle something that no designer has ever touched. The Midnight Gambol Of Erevan Ilesere cast only by an epic level cleric.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2019 :  14:07:50  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The is no elven high magic seed. EHM uses the normal epic spellcasting rules. An elven high mage just casts it cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2019 :  22:15:13  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The is no elven high magic seed. EHM uses the normal epic spellcasting rules. An elven high mage just casts it cheaper.

That's my point... EHM seed. Cheaper = different, unique.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2019 :  21:39:25  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

I need your help, based on the info above.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2019 :  05:06:45  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The saves and effects are all over the place. At a glance:

-Charisma is not a saving throw.
-create food and drink is cool, I guess, if a bit limited.
-higher levels of what? Epic spells are only castable by 21st level characters and above, and the minimum save DC, assuming your caster has 20 in his spellcasting attribute, is 24. Also, kind of a bizarre curse.
-what's a leadership skill?
-there is no death saving throw in 3rd edition.
-10th level treants die horribly to 15th level characters, much less epic level ones
-the will penalty here is superceded by the greater one in your first paragraph.
-who even casts cantrips at epic level. That +2 bonus to cantrip caster level is ridiculous.
-that's a good way of screwing over friendly casters, since illusion and enchantment are the schools most associated with the fey.

Not to be mean, I'm guessing you just took a random Spellcraft DC and slapped it on the spell.

At minimum, the spellcraft seeds are conjure, fortify, afflict, slay, summon, compel and contact, which is a DC of 133.

I don't have the DC for the mythal seed at hand, so add that into the pile and it's probably 160-ish.

Help me with this
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2019 :  05:13:44  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the DC would be about 133? Not too hard for a epic divine caster. no?
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2019 :  05:16:17  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ughh... This is hard no matter who I ask for help.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2019 :  00:08:45  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No. 133 is the base DC, before mitigating and additional factors are thrown in.

You should really go read the SRD's section on epic spellcasting.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2020 :  21:35:07  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No. 133 is the base DC, before mitigating and additional factors are thrown in.

You should really go read the SRD's section on epic spellcasting.

I have. I own it. But I really suck at math.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2020 :  15:26:24  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fortify, afflict, slay, summon, compel, contact, mythal = 137

Factors: reduce casting time by 8 minutes (+160 DC), increase area to 3 miles (+316 DC), force creatures into unreasonable course of action (+10 DC), summon 5 CR 10 creatures (+130 DC), -5 SR (+20 DC), bond ignores language restrictions (+4 DC), compulsion has no saving throw (ad hoc +40 DC), divine bonus to attack rolls (+30 DC), divine bonus to damage (+30 DC), luck bonus to Fort save (+12 DC), luck bonus to leadership (ad hoc +30 DC), bonus to ability score checks (+114 DC), increase penalty to -10 (+16 DC), increase save by +25 (+50 DC), no save for creatures below 10 HD (ad hoc +20 DC), -5 penalty to saves below 15 HD (ad hoc +10 DC), increase DR to 20/magic (+38 DC), caster level increase (ad hoc +8 DC), 12 hour duration (+720 DC); Mitigating factors: compulsion only affects specific patron deity (ad hoc -4 DC), compulsion only affects specific creature type (ad hoc -4 DC), penalty only affects Will save (ad hoc -4 DC), CL bonus only affects cantrips (ad hoc -10 DC)

Mythal: vanguard spell 6/day (14850 gp), arointed schools (40 000 gp), prevalent spell (create food and water) (60 000 gp) = +115 DC

total = 1988.

I'm not even going to bother quantifying the avatar or leShay thing.

I guess you could lower the DC more considering that the arointed spells are a percentage based failure chance instead of definite as per the actual arointed spell rules, but I got lazy. At most, it would be a -20 DC bump.

Edited by - LordofBones on 11 May 2020 16:14:57
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  02:11:09  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

fortify, afflict, slay, summon, compel, contact, mythal = 137

Factors: reduce casting time by 8 minutes (+160 DC), increase area to 3 miles (+316 DC), force creatures into unreasonable course of action (+10 DC), summon 5 CR 10 creatures (+130 DC), -5 SR (+20 DC), bond ignores language restrictions (+4 DC), compulsion has no saving throw (ad hoc +40 DC), divine bonus to attack rolls (+30 DC), divine bonus to damage (+30 DC), luck bonus to Fort save (+12 DC), luck bonus to leadership (ad hoc +30 DC), bonus to ability score checks (+114 DC), increase penalty to -10 (+16 DC), increase save by +25 (+50 DC), no save for creatures below 10 HD (ad hoc +20 DC), -5 penalty to saves below 15 HD (ad hoc +10 DC), increase DR to 20/magic (+38 DC), caster level increase (ad hoc +8 DC), 12 hour duration (+720 DC); Mitigating factors: compulsion only affects specific patron deity (ad hoc -4 DC), compulsion only affects specific creature type (ad hoc -4 DC), penalty only affects Will save (ad hoc -4 DC), CL bonus only affects cantrips (ad hoc -10 DC)

Mythal: vanguard spell 6/day (14850 gp), arointed schools (40 000 gp), prevalent spell (create food and water) (60 000 gp) = +115 DC

total = 1988.

I'm not even going to bother quantifying the avatar or leShay thing.

I guess you could lower the DC more considering that the arointed spells are a percentage based failure chance instead of definite as per the actual arointed spell rules, but I got lazy. At most, it would be a -20 DC bump.

LOL. I fully agree with you on that. Forget the LeShay, as the creature is already an Epic fey before you even add classes, lol.

That spell you just broke down... was that from Evermeet: Island of Elves 2ED suppliment? If so, good conversion to 3.5
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  02:26:23  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... The spell I broke down is the one you posted.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2020 :  03:01:44  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... The spell I broke down is the one you posted.

So from Evermeet 2ed sourcebook converted. cool. I guess I forgot.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  05:25:15  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't seem to make this work.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  13:09:09  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With a DC in the thousands, I'm not surprised.

You're going to have to rewrite the spell and decide what edition and what effects you actually want it to have, because I had to ad-hoc a ton of factors just to make it consistent with what you wrote. At the level you can cast this, why are you boosting cantrip caster level? What spellcaster in his right mind uses cantrips for combat in epic 3.5e?
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2020 :  16:00:51  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With a DC in the thousands, I'm not surprised.

You're going to have to rewrite the spell and decide what edition and what effects you actually want it to have, because I had to ad-hoc a ton of factors just to make it consistent with what you wrote. At the level you can cast this, why are you boosting cantrip caster level? What spellcaster in his right mind uses cantrips for combat in epic 3.5e?

I agree with you for the most part. I personally know several divine and arcane casters that love a good cantrip at will to spice things up. I can name at least 5 cantrips now that would serve greatly in this cause.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000