Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Male Fairy God fought beside Corellon?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

billbisco
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  05:24:23  Show Profile Send billbisco a Private Message  Delete Topic
Evermeet: Island of the Elves states:

quote:
Corellon chuckled, but all thoughts of mirth vanished as a rustpitted
sword thrust toward him—through the back of the fairy god
who fought at his left side.
Faster almost than eyes could follow, Corellon seized his fey
brother and tore him off the blade—an action that would bring
certain death even to most gods, but which was the fairy’s only hope
of survival. The sword that had impaled him was iron, as deadly to a
fairy as was poison to a mortal.

I don't think "fairy" is a standard D&D word. There are "fey" and there are "pixies" which are a type of "fey".

Questions abound.

Q1: Did the author mean pixie? If so, who could this possibly be? Oberon is described as not having wings. Titania and Verenestra are female not male.
Q2: Did the author mean fey? If so, which male one would it be? List is at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_fey_deities
Q3: Is there some other male deity not listed in Wikipedia above that's the most likely candidate to have been fighting alongside Corellon and getting stabbed?

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  08:40:31  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message
Frey, Lord of Alfheim.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  13:22:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Fairy was fairly common term at the time of that novel. Fey came into more common use with 3rd edition.

Oh, and Lord of Bones... amazingly, that was my first thought before I even ready your response. I know it doesn't really fit, but ….

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  13:38:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
I THINK Mrs. Cunningham didn't specify because she implies somewhere in her book that there were more gods in the Seelie Court back then, and many aren't known nowadays, their names lost in time. This one was probably a minor sprite or pixie deity. Gotta re-read it to confirm, though.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  15:28:09  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message
Q1- I think in this case Fey is to Fairy as Sapien is to Human.
Q2- The Elven Pantheon are either the Children of much older Beings or possibly "Eldest", even a LeShay could qualify as his Companion in legend.
Q3- LordofBones could well be spot on.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

billbisco
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  16:51:54  Show Profile Send billbisco a Private Message
I don't see how Frey / Freyr would apply. In some cases he's described as lord of the elves or statted as an elf ( Deities & Demigods 3e), but elves and fairies are different things.

Leshay would count as Fey, but I would hardly think of them as a Fairy.

I suppose I could make up a male pixie or sprite deity if I must. Hmmm..... now I need a good name for a soon-to-be-killed-and-forgotten deity.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  18:51:57  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by billbisco

[...]
I don't think "fairy" is a standard D&D word. There are "fey" and there are "pixies" which are a type of "fey".

Just like with Elaith being "a rogue elf": it's a human-speak vs. duckspeak "problem". And only d20 era duckspeak, at that.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  21:37:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

I don't see how Frey / Freyr would apply. In some cases he's described as lord of the elves or statted as an elf ( Deities & Demigods 3e), but elves and fairies are different things.

Leshay would count as Fey, but I would hardly think of them as a Fairy.

I suppose I could make up a male pixie or sprite deity if I must. Hmmm..... now I need a good name for a soon-to-be-killed-and-forgotten deity.

Again, you're looking through modern eyes. The use of fairy was common during the second edition era, but the use of fey was little heard. There was no term of "feywild" until 4th edition, and the place was known as Faerie. The elves were noted as coming "from Faerie".

Oh, and the Frey thing is only because you mentioned in some other thread that something stated Corellon started in Ysgard in another thread, and there's obvious links of Ysgard and Asgard. I don't see him fitting THIS role you mention here, but it does make me wonder what "ties" there may be between the Seldarine and the Aesir.

In fact, as I think on it more, Frey is Vanir and is a hostage to the Aesir from a Vanir/Aesir war. We don't have any real documented information on the "Vanir" in most real world instances, but most people think they are very nature oriented. The only Vanir hostages that I know of were Frey, Freya, and Njord. The Vanir took Hoenir (possibly another name for Vili, Odin's brother, and noted as a god that helped in the creation of the first humand) and Mimir. Then they beheaded Mimir and sent the head back to Odin, which he preserved . I only mention this to see if there's any commonalities to equate the Seldarine and the Vanir (there is of course as we alfheim and svartalfheim… or light and dark elves).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  19:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message
It's worth noting that the gods are not necessarily limited to single forms. A god can be both a pixie and a non-pixie in their preferred form while having inherent qualities of one, the other, or both.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  19:35:19  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
If I remember correctly (been a while since I read the novel), both members of the Seldarine and Seelie court were present in Arvandor. It is likely a reference to the other "fey" deities. There are numerous inhabitants in Arvandor.

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 12 Sep 2019 19:38:48
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  16:12:19  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message
Vanir?
We do know a lot more than we think, the nature part I think is correct, especially as gods of fertility. Not as in Nature as opposed to Civilization or Big Cities, as we think of the term. Technically, the dualistic religion is probably an Indo European thing going way back beyond our capacity to do anything but do wild guesses as:
- The theory the Aesir is linguistically related (the name) to Asur of India, aka, the demons of Mahabharata is gods fallen out of favour. In Persia the Asur were worshipped as gods.
- Njord the Vanir, is according to Tacitus, a part female, part male sex changing or bigendered god. associated with a Germanic tribal cult with a statue covered in cloth driven by a priest to an holy grove.

Remember we only is able to know so and so much out of such meagre sources as Snorri, which were a non-believer (I assume) in Christian times, representing one single source, perhaps even forgetting or omitting tales he didn't need for his purpose, etc. Vanir is represented in cult sites, by placenames as "Frösö", Freyrs isle, possible a cult site or Vanir temple site in Sweden, where remains of sacrificed bears were found underneath a church.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  10:36:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

Vanir?
We do know a lot more than we think, the nature part I think is correct, especially as gods of fertility. Not as in Nature as opposed to Civilization or Big Cities, as we think of the term. Technically, the dualistic religion is probably an Indo European thing going way back beyond our capacity to do anything but do wild guesses as:
- The theory the Aesir is linguistically related (the name) to Asur of India, aka, the demons of Mahabharata is gods fallen out of favour. In Persia the Asur were worshipped as gods.
- Njord the Vanir, is according to Tacitus, a part female, part male sex changing or bigendered god. associated with a Germanic tribal cult with a statue covered in cloth driven by a priest to an holy grove.

Remember we only is able to know so and so much out of such meagre sources as Snorri, which were a non-believer (I assume) in Christian times, representing one single source, perhaps even forgetting or omitting tales he didn't need for his purpose, etc. Vanir is represented in cult sites, by placenames as "Frösö", Freyrs isle, possible a cult site or Vanir temple site in Sweden, where remains of sacrificed bears were found underneath a church.

Got anything approaching actual links to this? Sorry for the veering off subject, but honestly I've never been able to find much on the Vanir. The most I've ever really found was stuff like this

https://norse-mythology.org/tales/the-aesir-vanir-war/
https://norse-mythology.org/gods-and-creatures/the-vanir-gods-and-goddesses/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanir

Mostly it seems the Vanir are more "magical" than the Aesir, at least until Odin learns and shares the power of runes.

Actually, this could also bring up, what exactly does "Vanaheim" correspond to? Feywild? Beastlands? Arvandor (that's probably more Alfheim)? Sub portion of Ysgard?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  03:19:42  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Questions abound.

Q1: Did the author mean pixie? If so, who could this possibly be? Oberon is described as not having wings. Titania and Verenestra are female not male.
Q2: Did the author mean fey? If so, which male one would it be? List is at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_fey_deities
Q3: Is there some other male deity not listed in Wikipedia above that's the most likely candidate to have been fighting alongside Corellon and getting stabbed?

I don't think the novel ever gave a specific name, but I could guess at Frey, or Malankhite, or Lord Frostrill, possibly the Autumn King, but all of them are still alive and active in D&D so I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  03:26:42  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
He probably wasn't anyone written into the lore, or if he was, only minimally, considering he wasn't named, and they killed him off.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  03:44:56  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Questions abound.

Faerie was "standard" back in 1ED Advanced D&D. Fey wasn't a common concept until 3.0ED and 3.5ED. You either followed the Seelie Court or the Unseelie Court. Pixies, Nymphs, Sylphs, Dryads, Grigs, Will-O-Wisps, Brownies, Faerie Fiddlers, Redcaps were all known as Faeries back in those days. The millions of different Fey creatures all hailed from the Plane of Faerie, adjacent to the Prime Material and Plane of Shadow.

You have the Arch-Fey of both the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, lords and dukes and kings and queens on both sides. These are mostly Epic level creatures that are pretty much deities. Titianna and Oberon rule the Seelie Court, and the Queen of Air and Darkness rules the Unseelie Court. Fighting any of them would be like fighting Corellon Larethian himself... it's not going to end well for you, lol.

Hope that helped... if not try this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRYL_b-1KF4
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  03:52:37  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Even in real life mythology (which granted, FR draws heavily on, particularly here), faerie, fairy, fae, fey, faery...there are of course actual "faeries", but they are also umbrella terms for faery-like creatures: pixies, brownies, kelpie (I have a book on faeries), etc, so it makes sense of the mingling of the term, especially if you're talking about the Seelie and Unseelie Courts.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  05:20:28  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message
Here you go... This is the Faerie God that was impaled on a Iron Sword next to Corellon in battle.

Melthadreth Telperion: CN Arch-Fey male of The Seelie Court. CR 90; Rogue 10/ Shadowdancer 10/ Sorcerer 20/ Feymage 10/ Duskblade 20/ Favored Soul 20. King of the Autumn Court, Master of the North Wind, Wielder of Stormbringer.

Died in combat during the wars of the Anti-Seldarine defending Corellon Larethian. Resurrected as a mortal Fey to guard the "Gardens of the Gambol" in Arvandor. A bewildering maze of chaos and deception that protects the Tower of Erevan Ilesere.
Go to Top of Page

billbisco
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  14:31:31  Show Profile Send billbisco a Private Message
Wow! :D

I love the attempt That's a really high level arch fey for a guy that got owned! He has more levels and CR than Corellon a Greater Deity!

His name seems very Elvish. Fey gods seem to be stick to one name only unless you're implying this name is his "new name" as a resurrected / reincarnated being that supposedly hangs out more with elves now and hence an "elvish" name.

"Gardens of the Gambol". Hmm, I like that and may incorporate that into my adventure. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Here you go... This is the Faerie God that was impaled on a Iron Sword next to Corellon in battle.

Melthadreth Telperion: CN Arch-Fey male of The Seelie Court. CR 90; Rogue 10/ Shadowdancer 10/ Sorcerer 20/ Feymage 10/ Duskblade 20/ Favored Soul 20. King of the Autumn Court, Master of the North Wind, Wielder of Stormbringer.

Died in combat during the wars of the Anti-Seldarine defending Corellon Larethian. Resurrected as a mortal Fey to guard the "Gardens of the Gambol" in Arvandor. A bewildering maze of chaos and deception that protects the Tower of Erevan Ilesere.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  16:20:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

I personally KNOW that he is not the master of the north wind. He is the Master of the Bottom Wind, as he's known as a god of flatulence. His death is the reason that elves no longer fart.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  16:54:09  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Elves never farted. It's beneath them, and further indicates their superiority.

In all seriousness, what is the source cited for (albeit minimal) info about this god?

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 20 Sep 2019 16:56:35
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  17:43:22  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message
He doesn't exist.

Also, his levels are hilariously random. There's no way he's CR 90.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  18:32:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

That's what the elves tell themselves to make themselves feel better when they're sitting beside bean eating dwarves. Jealousy is not a pretty thing.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  19:18:55  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Neither is farting they aren't going to be jealous of farting dwarves lol. And even if they did fart prior to the death of the fey god, the fact remains they don't anymore, so they have no need to be jealous XD Besides, superior or not, passing gas isn't a universal necessity, as it has been scientifically proven that not all animal species fart.

I can't believe we're having this convo lol.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 20 Sep 2019 19:50:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  19:58:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
You know... Given the way young men act, I'd imagine that every other male mage in the Realms has, at some point, created a spell to simulate flatulence.

Tehm's Enchanting Flatulence, Aldo's Obnoxious Odor, Power Word: SBD...

...And there have likely been more than a few spells crafted to mask/eliminate flatulence.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  20:16:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
The pranks at every wizard academy lol

Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  22:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message
Somewhere in the Elemental Plane of Air awaits the legendary Flatulence Elemental, waiting to be summoned for the purpose of bringing the stink hammer down upon some poor mage's enemies...

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  22:50:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
The first rule of fart club is that no one talks about fart club.

Just ask the elves.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  23:59:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Stinking Cloud is 2nd or 3rd level spell (depending on game edition).

And I believe some 1st/2nd level spells create noxious, toxic, or corrosive fumes as their secondary effects.

So I think stinky cantrips must exist. And spells like Richter's Thunder Stench, Snilloc's Sneaky Symphony, Beltyn's Burning Brimstone, and Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Flatulence must also exist.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2019 :  00:45:19  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Stinking Cloud is 2nd or 3rd level spell (depending on game edition).

And I believe some 1st/2nd level spells create noxious, toxic, or corrosive fumes as their secondary effects.

So I think stinky cantrips must exist. And spells like Richter's Thunder Stench, Snilloc's Sneaky Symphony, Beltyn's Burning Brimstone, and Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Flatulence must also exist.

Macho's Uncontrollable Hideous Belching, Dragon #204. :D

(Yes, it's an April issue, but it is definitely a usable spell!)

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2019 :  14:28:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The first rule of fart club is that no one talks about fart club.

Just ask the elves.

OMG, you just made me literally bust out laughing. The delivery on that was perfect. I wasn't expecting the second sentence. Thank you.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 21 Sep 2019 14:29:11
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  20:58:34  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

In all seriousness, what is the source cited for (albeit minimal) info about this god?

I totally just made him up, spur-of-the-moment to give the thread creator something to go by.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000