Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Deadsnows Campaign Ideas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tyaralt
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2019 :  16:26:18  Show Profile Send Tyaralt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail and well met noble scribes,

As a new comer to these Halls and the noble craft of dungeon mastering I seek thy aid in planning future adventures.

I have decided to run a campaign starting in the Silver Marches town of Deadsnows, around 1490 DR. Since the sad fall of Sundabar and its remaining dwarven population locking thenselves in the Everfire it appears that the Old Delzoun/Cold Vale region would live dire times, threatening depopulation and isolating the mighty dwarven citadels. Therefore, rulers of the North may indeed sponsor recolozination efforts, sending new immigrants and war reffuges to Deadswons and Newfort.

The game begins with a large caravan of migrants and some adventurers arriving at the new town built around the Hospice of Marthammor, in view of the plaguelands that became the old city ruins.

In the following revelry hosted to welcome the new arrivals, the forming group is presented and may socialize with notable locals such as the abess Kerala Gemstar, and new faces such as the Dragonborn warrior Nakul the Silvered, war veteran and militia captain; and Nizil Vilio, gnome merchant, minor mage and local magnate owner of the Happy Gnome tavern and general store.

Not planning to start a grand quest from the start, several leads may be presented for possible adventures, such as exploring the old city ruins. Not quite a West Marches as I would prefer to avoid a hexcrawl or pointcrawl, the idea is to let the group decide their own adventures and run several one shots in the region, at least until latter levels. Maybe follow with Storm Kings Thunder ?

My main doubt now are ideas for these locations and local small adventures, since from my reading I could only find Ghaurin's Hold, some adventures in the Silver Marches 3ed supplement and perhaps something with the Graevelwood's gnomes.

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2019 :  23:40:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So with Deadsnows completely wiped out during the Spellplague, maybe part of the adventure is centered around fixing up the ruins of the old town and starting anew? The Living Forgotten Realms adventure LURU1-3: Shades of Blue Fire kinda details what's been going on in Deadsnows since 1385 DR - at least as far as the destruction goes.

Now keep in mind that this was in 1379 DR, so you're talking about a full decade later, so it wouldn't be a stretch to assume that some parts of reconstruction have been going on in the town. And with now Sundabar fallen (what supplement/novel does this take place in?) and the flood of people leaving there they might make for Deadsnows in an attempt for safety and to help further the rebuilding.

Looking at the map of Lurar/Silver Marches, some adventure ideas pop out at me:

• The road of trade between Deadsnows and Everlund has become extremely dangerous - with bandits who've pilfered the ruins of Sundabar. Stolen goods are fenced at a pawn shoppé in Rauvincross and they have a small camp along the foothills of the Turnstone Pass.

• A local priest offers aid in the community of Deadsnows and has had several of her clergy administer free healing to the suffering people. This is in exchange for a formalized temple to their Goddess, Loviatar, in the town of Deadsnows. The people are quite fearful of their reputation for bringing pain and torture, however their dire need for divine aid and magical healing can't be easily turned away either. Broker an offering to the Painmistress that will benefit both their Clergy (or at least not offend them) and the town for the healing they need.

• Word as reached the leaders of Deadsnows that a tribe of hobgoblins plan on raiding the town before the snows fall, however their encampment is some where deep in the Eastern Nether Mountains. Someone's going to need to track down the information, which originated in Newfort, and from there forge into the Mountains looking for their base of operations. Rumors put the base at the base of Dalagar's Dagger and as close as the town of Baraskur. What the Players don't know is that their forces are much larger than originally thought and they're being lead by one of the Blood of Morueme, a half-blue dragon Hobgoblin, with plans on subjugating all the people in the vale.
Go to Top of Page

Tyaralt
Acolyte

Brazil
9 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  17:33:50  Show Profile Send Tyaralt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great ideas Diffan ! I thought of some bandits myself, but yours are way better than what I had in mind.

Initially no, I imagined Deadsnows as a more established town, but after consulting LURU1-3: Shades of Blue Fire it really seems the place did not exist by that adventure. I'm not very familiarized with the 4ed timeline but from what I could see at the wiki it takes place only a few decades before 5 ed right ? If correct then your comment really sheds some light on the place and incorporating a more rebuilding and frontier feel seems really cool for the game.

Concerning sources I can't tell much about the novels since I have barely read any. However, I think the War of the Silver Marches is described in the Companion Codex Series.

My views come from the Sword Coast Guide entry on Sundabar and the Storm King's Thunder entry on Deadsnows: SCG says Sundabar upper city was razed by Harstuk orcs aided by a great dragon while the dwarves ended up hidding in the Everfire. It says only the dwarves remain and that any non kin is refused entry. Whereas Deadsnows in SKT is written as a small town with the Hospice of Marthammor in its middle. Since from the Silver Marches 3ed supplement the Hospice was actually located a few miles outside town and it survided, it appears Deadsnows was just recently rebuilt around it, probably by war refugees.

Edited by - Tyaralt on 07 Aug 2019 17:34:48
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  21:36:49  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyaralt

Great ideas Diffan ! I thought of some bandits myself, but yours are way better than what I had in mind.

Thanks. The whole Blood of Morueme thing can really be expanded upon since there wasn't that much info on them in the previous supplements. I believe it was a 3e thing? Anyways, if you good it there's a big Wiki write-up on their involvement with that area and the fighting that went on between them and the Lady's Hand Monastery (where the Lovitars would be from). It could be expanded into a larger war-based campaign too.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyaralt

Initially no, I imagined Deadsnows as a more established town, but after consulting LURU1-3: Shades of Blue Fire it really seems the place did not exist by that adventure. I'm not very familiarized with the 4ed timeline but from what I could see at the wiki it takes place only a few decades before 5 ed right ? If correct then your comment really sheds some light on the place and incorporating a more rebuilding and frontier feel seems really cool for the game.

Concerning sources I can't tell much about the novels since I have barely read any. However, I think the War of the Silver Marches is described in the Companion Codex Series.

My views come from the Sword Coast Guide entry on Sundabar and the Storm King's Thunder entry on Deadsnows: SCG says Sundabar upper city was razed by Harstuk orcs aided by a great dragon while the dwarves ended up hidding in the Everfire. It says only the dwarves remain and that any non kin is refused entry. Whereas Deadsnows in SKT is written as a small town with the Hospice of Marthammor in its middle. Since from the Silver Marches 3ed supplement the Hospice was actually located a few miles outside town and it survided, it appears Deadsnows was just recently rebuilt around it, probably by war refugees.

Storm Kings Thunder (1491 DR?) would've taken place after Shades of Blue Fire (1479 DR), so it's safe to assume that supplement is the most up-to-date info on Deadsnows and just go with what that books says. But you can always incorporate or pilfer ideas from the 4E adventure. There's an Oni that attacks a group of refugees fleeing Deadsnows and he had a small cave in the Eastern Mt. range. Who knows how many of them there were, what he had stolen or found when Deadsnows was in ruins? Maybe there's a small caché of magical items that he had stowed away (assuming he's dead) that the Players can find out about.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000