Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur's Gate 3 CRPG to be set in the 1590s DR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Windrider
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  03:50:40  Show Profile Send Windrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From this Polygon article:

[Baldur's Gate 3] will be the sequel to an upcoming module for the modern D&D tabletop RPG. Called Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus, that module takes place about 100 years before Baldur’s Gate 3 even begins. [...] The events of Descent into Avernus must happen before the events of Baldur’s Gate 3, and maintaining that order is literally Mearls’ job.

Does anyone else get the impression that some wires got crossed in the interview? Or do you think BG3 really going to be set in the 1590s DR?

The barkeeper asked why we carried weapons on us in the bar. I said, "Mimics." The barkeeper laughed, the party laughed, the table laughed, we killed the table. It was a good time.

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  03:57:21  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No doubt Larian will be debuting with 7th edition D&D.

I kind of wonder what would have happened if Owlcat got their hands on the license. Kingmaker was a buggy mess on release, but they did a marvelous job with it since.
Go to Top of Page

Windrider
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  04:07:52  Show Profile Send Windrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know much about Larian—the Diablo comparisons and the objectively stupid name prevented me from giving Divine Divinity a chance back in the day, and I haven't gotten around to the series since.

Edited by - Windrider on 18 Jul 2019 04:08:22
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  17:26:35  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

“It’s going to sound super — maybe this is not super pretentious, maybe it will just sound creepy,” Mearls said, his face breaking into a self-conscious half grin. “The way I think about [...] it is that we’re like, the masters of Dungeon Masters. Everyone’s running their campaign [at home], but there’s another layer that we’re in where we see how everything — very deeply — might connect. You may never see that connection surfaced, not ever. But, it’s influencing how we’re doing things. And maybe someday we will surface it. Maybe we won’t.”

Oh gods.

Edited by - Caolin on 18 Jul 2019 17:31:32
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  18:11:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

“It’s going to sound super — maybe this is not super pretentious, maybe it will just sound creepy,” Mearls said, his face breaking into a self-conscious half grin. “The way I think about [...] it is that we’re like, the masters of Dungeon Masters. Everyone’s running their campaign [at home], but there’s another layer that we’re in where we see how everything — very deeply — might connect. You may never see that connection surfaced, not ever. But, it’s influencing how we’re doing things. And maybe someday we will surface it. Maybe we won’t.”

Oh gods.

Mearls is so full of sh*t there. The way he pretends to "see a connection" between all campaign. Dude, seriously, how can you even know about people's campaigns and their events/characters, let alone homebrew worlds that might have NOTHING to do with standard D&D canon, or campaigns set in non-D&D settings but that still use D&D rules--and let alone see "a connection". They just want free hype for their game and are making this stuff up for that; my money on the absence of anything substantial that they're doing.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Jul 2019 18:13:32
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2019 :  17:17:35  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Mearls is so full of sh*t there. The way he pretends to "see a connection" between all campaign. Dude, seriously, how can you even know about people's campaigns and their events/characters, let alone homebrew worlds that might have NOTHING to do with standard D&D canon, or campaigns set in non-D&D settings but that still use D&D rules--and let alone see "a connection". They just want free hype for their game and are making this stuff up for that; my money on the absence of anything substantial that they're doing.

Yeah this quote kind of put everything together for me. Why there hasn't been a campaign setting and why there probably never will be one. They don't want Dungeon Masters anymore. They want game managers who will run their modules (is this what they still call them?) the way they intended. Stick to the script, buy the next adventure for your players, and STFU. It never occurred to me that they would prefer to not have independent DMs creating their own material and stories within FR because that doesn't sell books. But this sure does seem like what's going on.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2019 :  17:50:04  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the interview contained a lot of very vague hints at the Big Picture that only the designers can see which is all well and good but then the designers play their own game and we play our own and these loose touch with each other.

quote:
Originally posted by Windrider

Does anyone else get the impression that some wires got crossed in the interview? Or do you think BG3 really going to be set in the 1590s DR?

On this specific point I actually think there are two possible explanations: either Descent is in 1390s-1400s and BG3 is current timeline or Descent is current timeline and BG3 is so far in the future to not matter to the Realms continuity (unless at some point Mearls successor will decide for another 100 years time jump ... and then someone will point out that they forgot about the lore in BG3 and someone will screw up again ...)

To be honest envisaging a world where nobody in setting cares about dates and the passing of time is well ... not smart nor logical by any stretch of the imagination but to each their own.

Edited by - Demzer on 19 Jul 2019 17:51:16
Go to Top of Page

DeBasilisk
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2019 :  01:59:34  Show Profile Send DeBasilisk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all. First time posting. Just wanted to comment on a clue to the puzzle of when these products occur in realmslore. The cover of the Descent book shows Zariel, and the advertising material mentions her as well. In the 14th century up to the end of 3.5 published material, Zariel was still imprisoned and Bel was in charge of Avernus, and as of fifth edition Zariel has been "recently" reinstated by Asmodeus. To my knowledge the exact date has not been revealed. I sat out 4th edition, but from what I understand Bel was still in charge then as well. So, based on the assumption that the cover featuring Zariel implied that she is back in power (maybe an unfair assumption, but one I am ok making), then BG3 does indeed take place in the late 16th century if it takes place 100 years post Descent. If I'm missing anything though, please correct me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000