Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The State of the Dead Three after the Sundering
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2019 :  11:51:33  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In two DnD videos, it's been stated that the Dead Three (Bane, Myrkul, Bhaal) have been reduced to mortal demigods in the mortal realms as a penalty for wanting to continue directly interacting with the mortal realms.

Baldur's Gate 3' and The Dead Three in D&D --- 2:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIdSoaR7SH4

Dragon Talk: LYSK The Dead Three, 3/15/18 --- about 5 minutes into the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAveVhvydhM

By itself, this doesn't really fit with how the Dead Three have been presented - they're neither stupid enough, reckless enough, naive enough, nor brave enough to give up their godly power to such a large degree, at least not AFTER what they learned from the Time of Troubles.

In addition, Mystra's physical appearance in Spellstorm would suggest that avatars can still be created on Toril without giving up the greater part of the main body's divine strength.

It therefore makes more sense if the mortal presences of the Dead Three are not their main bodies, but rather their mortal avatars projected from their divine realms.

AO'S DECREE

A possible explanation that brings things together amicably is that Ao has decreed that all gods of Realmspace can only project a single, limited power investment avatar INTO Realmspace, with the power of a demigod but most definitely killable by mortals. They can still make avatars OUTSIDE of Realmspace normally, but within the crystal sphere there is now a restriction.

How does this sound?

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 17 Jun 2019 11:52:24

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2019 :  16:09:20  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

In two DnD videos, it's been stated that the Dead Three (Bane, Myrkul, Bhaal) have been reduced to mortal demigods in the mortal realms as a penalty for wanting to continue directly interacting with the mortal realms.

Dragon Talk: LYSK The Dead Three, 3/15/18 --- about 5 minutes into the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAveVhvydhM

By itself, this doesn't really fit with how the Dead Three have been presented - they're neither stupid enough, reckless enough, naive enough, nor brave enough to give up their godly power to such a large degree, at least not AFTER what they learned from the Time of Troubles.

Agreed, but they are also first class Frakups when it comes to being Deities, I"ll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

quote:
In addition, Mystra's physical appearance in Spellstorm would suggest that avatars can still be created on Toril without giving up the greater part of the main body's divine strength.

It therefore makes more sense if the mortal presences of the Dead Three are not their main bodies, but rather their mortal avatars projected from their divine realms.

AO'S DECREE

A possible explanation that brings things together amicably is that Ao has decreed that all gods of Realmspace can only project a single, limited power investment avatar INTO Realmspace, with the power of a demigod but most definitely killable by mortals. They can still make avatars OUTSIDE of Realmspace normally, but within the crystal sphere there is now a restriction.

How does this sound?

That sounds par for the course. Lets just go ahead and admit AO is a child with a snowglobe at this point.(S)He has changed It's mind so many times we might as well have Talos running things, oh wait that's Gruumsh, no nevermind It's Talos... wait...now IT's Mr Wednesday..

Sam

Edited by - BrennonGoldeye on 17 Jun 2019 20:32:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2019 :  19:12:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer to simply disregard most of the divine changes that happened after 2nd edition. It's not an edition thing as much as it is that so little of what followed made sense...

"Deity A did this insanely out of character thing! Deity B and vaguely similar but entirely unrelated Deity C are actually the same -- and now they're not! Deity D was dead, and their portfolios went to Deity E -- but now Deity D *and* Deity E are both around and kicking, with no explanation of how it happened or how we have multiple deities of this portfolio active within the same pantheon! Oh, and let's not forget that we had too many gods, so while we were culling a bunch of them, we added a couple."

Honestly, it's sad that so many people did so much to screw things up that the best solution would be to chuck it all and start over.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2019 :  20:29:37  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I prefer to simply disregard most of the divine changes that happened after 2nd edition. It's not an edition thing as much as it is that so little of what followed made sense...

"Deity A did this insanely out of character thing! Deity B and vaguely similar but entirely unrelated Deity C are actually the same -- and now they're not! Deity D was dead, and their portfolios went to Deity E -- but now Deity D *and* Deity E are both around and kicking, with no explanation of how it happened or how we have multiple deities of this portfolio active within the same pantheon! Oh, and let's not forget that we had too many gods, so while we were culling a bunch of them, we added a couple."

Honestly, it's sad that so many people did so much to screw things up that the best solution would be to chuck it all and start over.

If I weren't so in love with Ed's creation I would agree on the "chuck it all".

On a side note I got banned from that same FB group you did Wooly, apparently they don't like my stance on pronouns...

Sam

Edited by - BrennonGoldeye on 17 Jun 2019 20:30:32
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2019 :  22:44:50  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always against this kind of reactions, but... man, I don't like what they are doing with the Realms canon in 5e. And I'm a 4e fans, so I don't like to say this kind of stuff (because, well, I don't think we have to remember the vitriol of the Edition Wars, right?), but this new plot with the Dead Three is really ridiculous. Not to say all that stuff of Amaunator and Lathander, and the sucky plot of Tiamat...

I was someone who used to enjoy the FR canon, and somehow tried to stick close to it, but I guess that is not true anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by BrennonGoldeye

On a side note I got banned from that same FB group you did Wooly, apparently they don't like my stance on pronouns...

Can you please elaborate...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  00:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story lines need to go a decade or so of leaving the Gods ALONE. Enough already and we will all slowly adjust. There are more than enough people stories (IMHO the greatest thing about the Realms) to keep writers busy for a century without tapping into the daytime soap opera that is the deities of Toril.

Yeesh I sounded vitriolic there and didn’t mean to. I loved the stories that have passed already, but now is a good time to move on. Focus on folks, not deities and overgods.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  01:01:59  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They could have just handled the Dead Three issue by having Bane work to restore his old comrades, as they're genuinely friends. Evil friends, but still bros for life.
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  15:03:58  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I was always against this kind of reactions, but... man, I don't like what they are doing with the Realms canon in 5e. And I'm a 4e fans, so I don't like to say this kind of stuff (because, well, I don't think we have to remember the vitriol of the Edition Wars, right?), but this new plot with the Dead Three is really ridiculous. Not to say all that stuff of Amaunator and Lathander, and the sucky plot of Tiamat...

I was someone who used to enjoy the FR canon, and somehow tried to stick close to it, but I guess that is not true anymore.

quote:

I still do, I have stuck with the timeline but never left 3.5. I'll keep playing that way with ya Zeromaru, heck I'll even break out the 4E books that haven't seen light since I bought them.

[i]Originally posted by Zeromaru X[/i

Meh, screaming snowflakes. Let's just say some ffolk don't like it when they are told "No, I wont use a made up word as your new title, how about I call you by your name." Thus, the gay grandfather of 7 whose been with his hubby for 18 years was called a transphobe and blocked. Yeah, if I wanted to deal with 4 year old's I go visit the triplet grandboys...

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  19:41:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't find the rollback of the 4E changes to be objectionable, myself -- my main objection is to the divine comeback. Handwaving all the deities back into existence creates a big mess, because the issue of portfolios was simply ignored. So if the old god of death was dead and a new one arose, but then the old one comes back and the new one is still around -- who is the god of death?

Also, we don't know the parameters of this "everyone is back!" thing. What about Moander, slain after the ToT? What about Ibrandul, slain during the ToT? What about Murdane, Kiputytto, Valigan Thirdborn, and other deities slain in the distant past? What about the ones the Dark Three slew on their path to ascension? What about Tyche? What about Auppenser, who is mostly dead?

As has become sadly not uncommon with WotC's Realmslore maneuvers, they tried to solve a non-existent problem, created a mess, and then "fixed" that mess by making things worse.

quote:

Ditto. I remain a huge fan of trying to work within established canon, but part of what brought me to the Realms in the first place was the fact it was so well-constructed with a lot of thought behind everything. Now it's ruled by corporate whim, and the once-solid construction is now a distant memory.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  23:41:36  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As far I can tell it's entirely because of BG 3, Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus wasn't originally set in BG at all, and it was called Eciplse, they changed things so it could act as a prequal to BG 3.

And that is a trade off I'm willing to make if BG 3 is awesome.

Besides I'm fine with Bhaal and Myrkul being demigods, although I think Bane being one as well is stupdid given he sacrificed Greater God status for it. The only reason I could see him do that is if he had a plan to achieve even greater power, maybe Overgod status, but could only achieve it on the mortal plane.

The Mulhorandi Gods on the other hand it makes sense, their's has always been a story of self sacrifice and risk for their people, even their "evil" gods have a sense of dark noblity about them, it's clear even Set and Sebek love their people.

And Gilgeam makes sense too, for similar, but also very different reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  23:49:46  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only FR canon thing I dislike (as opposed to like, love,or am neutral on) is the Aquistions Inc book being canon FR. AI is goofy as heck, which I can deal with if it wasn't emmersion killing, setting unsuitable crap. The Verdan are kind of interesting or at least fun to mock as Woke Millenial Gobliniods, but the corporate structure of AI annoys me to no end. Why couldn't they make the organization make sense for a setting like FR, like Grey Force.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  00:00:35  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I still do, I have stuck with the timeline but never left 3.5. I'll keep playing that way with ya Zeromaru, heck I'll even break out the 4E books that haven't seen light since I bought them.

[i]Originally posted by Zeromaru X[/i

Meh, screaming snowflakes. Let's just say some ffolk don't like it when they are told "No, I wont use a made up word as your new title, how about I call you by your name." Thus, the gay grandfather of 7 whose been with his hubby for 18 years was called a transphobe and blocked. Yeah, if I wanted to deal with 4 year old's I go visit the triplet grandboys...

An authoritarian streak has set in todays feminism, which is one of the reasons I went from being a feminist to an MRA. Your approach wasn't transphobic, I have talked to transfolk MRAs and they don't like made up random gender pronoun and demand everyone use it or be punished either, because it's real transfolks who pay the price for alienating so many people needlessly. It's heart breaking because the trans community has so many dangerous enemies and hard challenges as it is.

Anyways
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  01:45:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Besides I'm fine with Bhaal and Myrkul being demigods, although I think Bane being one as well is stupdid given he sacrificed Greater God status for it. The only reason I could see him do that is if he had a plan to achieve even greater power, maybe Overgod status, but could only achieve it on the mortal plane.

The Mulhorandi Gods on the other hand it makes sense, their's has always been a story of self sacrifice and risk for their people, even their "evil" gods have a sense of dark noblity about them, it's clear even Set and Sebek love their people.

And Gilgeam makes sense too, for similar, but also very different reasons.

I'll definitely agree that it makes perfect sense for Bhaal and Myrkul to come back as demigods... they were gone... so now they're "working their way back". The only way I can buy Bane as being a demigod though is if the theories that "Bane" since his return has been Iyachtu Xvim POSING as Bane.... and now BANE is back, but he's having to come back as a demigod. If there's a heresy within the church hierarchy for Bane that the outer planar entity posing as Bane isn't the "real" Bane, that would make sense. Also, if "Gilgeam" is the demigod form of the returned Bane, posing as Gilgeam since someone else is using HIS name..... I could buy that too. But the idea that Bane gave up greater god status just to stay in the world, I'm not buying.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  07:45:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my giddy aunt. Just when you think wotc couldn't possibly churn out something more nonsensical, generic, and kewl garbage they come out with several stickers at once.

I just don't get why 5e is so popular

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  08:22:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Consumers keep needing products to buy. Producers need to keep making products to sell. "Newer is better" is the usual argument.

We all have our favourite edition. Anything which came before it is stuffy and archaic. Anything which comes after imposes some changes which aren't always welcome. Sooner or later a subsequent edition will become too different in too many ways - basically "unacceptable" or "incompatible" with preferred continuity - but until then most people will just keep on buying what most producers just keep on selling.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  10:26:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'll definitely agree that it makes perfect sense for Bhaal and Myrkul to come back as demigods...

Given that it was prior canon that Myrkul was happier NOT being a deity, I disagree that it makes sense to re-deify him in any format.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  10:43:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Oh my giddy aunt. Just when you think wotc couldn't possibly churn out something more nonsensical, generic, and kewl garbage they come out with several stickers at once.

First of all, the ruleset and the lore are not the same thing.

Second, from what I've heard, the 5E ruleset is a well-made one, with a lot of the better elements from prior editions rolled into one. I've heard very little negative about it.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  11:27:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm primarily talking about the setting, wotc must seem it popular enough to continue making this dross, and given its content I just cant understand that popularity.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  12:12:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well I'm primarily talking about the setting, wotc must seem it popular enough to continue making this dross, and given its content I just cant understand that popularity.

It's core now, so in order to buy their adventures, people have to buy the Realms. Ultimately, I guess most people don't really care about the setting, as they run homebrews or will simply use whichever fantasy background. They just want the adventure and the crunch and eventually adapt it to their game.

I think it's pretty clear that WotC put back the gods/characters/places that they had taken away not to repair the setting, but mostly as a marketing stunt (and possibly to have more goodies and nostalgia to put in their products).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  15:09:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'll definitely agree that it makes perfect sense for Bhaal and Myrkul to come back as demigods...

Given that it was prior canon that Myrkul was happier NOT being a deity, I disagree that it makes sense to re-deify him in any format.

Ok, let me add a disclaimer... since they ARE bringing him back... it makes sense for him to come back as a demigod. My point being much like the person I was quoting... both Bhaal and Myrkul were "gone" from the existing as a deity standpoint. So, if they do decide to come back (and oddly, they may not have been given a choice... note, I said MAY... there is a chance that something forced Myrkul to leave the crown of horns.... it could have even have been a ritual performed by worshippers... I say this from the standpoint that we've often said that gods are shaped by their worshippers beliefs).

But as far as Bane goes, it makes no sense whatsoever for him to be a demigod UNLESS some of the ideas we've proposed in the past are true (i.e. Iyachtu Xvim was using Bane's name) and thus a "demigod" Bane and a separate "greater god" Bane are existing at the same time (with the greater god being Xvim). I actually kind of like this idea, especially with the odd idea that "returned Gilgeam" is "demigod Bane" possessing the "godflesh" that formerly held Gilgeam. It would work with my concept that some gods were active during the spellplague in Abeir, and that they had to "build up" power their at first as "lesser avatars" that basically had to inhabit the bodies of worshippers (like during ToT) before building a separate "avatar" body.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  15:27:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

First of all, the ruleset and the lore are not the same thing.

Second, from what I've heard, the 5E ruleset is a well-made one, with a lot of the better elements from prior editions rolled into one. I've heard very little negative about it.

there is a good bit that's negative. Most of it is in flexibility and options. However, what makes a difference is that there's not as huge a discrepancy at upper levels (which I didn't realize existed in 3.5e until I started playingdesigning at those levels). The 5e game needs a LOT of development rule wise, BUT its a start, and its relatively simple to bring new players in. The feat concept is more broad (there's not like 20 two weapon fighting feats, but rather a more encompassing feat). There also needs to be some more ways to implement "options" like feats (one of the things I developed so as to not just ADD power was the ability to trade in daily hit dice permanently in return for feats). There needs to be some ways to make old fashion builds that people used to do (for instance, a mage-priest that really works.... noting in 5e, you don't get a separate set of spell slots by class... you just get more spells memorized to choose from.... other options like a wizard who casts multiple protections on themselves... or wizards that specialize in contingent effects... or a wizard that maybe focuses on using a lot of magic items like wands despite having to be "attuned" to a limited number of items), even if it means spending a precious feat slot.

In the end, I guess I'm saying... hey, I love 3.5, I love pathfinder, but I see where its broken at high levels. This edition has some good "base" rules to help try to fix these things. It just needs to have some more options worked through and built in, but unless you have someone to truly playtest it, then it won't get caught. I'd really love to know moneywise how well WotC is doing comparing against the time of 3.5e (granted, that's affected by the fact that they also aren't releasing a lot).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  15:42:35  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd just like to know what happened to 5e necromancy. Why is the capstone spell astral projection? Seriously, banshees still have their iconic wail while the core necromantic death spell is left out?

And poor Abi-Dalzim. Someone should really have stopped Mike Mearls purposely overbuffing fireball, because now all damage spells are compared to fireball.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  16:12:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I'd just like to know what happened to 5e necromancy. Why is the capstone spell astral projection? Seriously, banshees still have their iconic wail while the core necromantic death spell is left out?

And poor Abi-Dalzim. Someone should really have stopped Mike Mearls purposely overbuffing fireball, because now all damage spells are compared to fireball.

Yeah, this is why I want to develop a "good list" of spells from dms guild. That being said, work, life, kids...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  16:16:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok, let me add a disclaimer... since they ARE bringing him back... it makes sense for him to come back as a demigod. My point being much like the person I was quoting... both Bhaal and Myrkul were "gone" from the existing as a deity standpoint. So, if they do decide to come back (and oddly, they may not have been given a choice... note, I said MAY... there is a chance that something forced Myrkul to leave the crown of horns.... it could have even have been a ritual performed by worshippers... I say this from the standpoint that we've often said that gods are shaped by their worshippers beliefs).

But as far as Bane goes, it makes no sense whatsoever for him to be a demigod UNLESS some of the ideas we've proposed in the past are true (i.e. Iyachtu Xvim was using Bane's name) and thus a "demigod" Bane and a separate "greater god" Bane are existing at the same time (with the greater god being Xvim). I actually kind of like this idea, especially with the odd idea that "returned Gilgeam" is "demigod Bane" possessing the "godflesh" that formerly held Gilgeam. It would work with my concept that some gods were active during the spellplague in Abeir, and that they had to "build up" power their at first as "lesser avatars" that basically had to inhabit the bodies of worshippers (like during ToT) before building a separate "avatar" body.

From what I understand, their current power doesn't depend on being resurrected (lots of deities have returned with their old power/portfolios, a few even gaining some more on top of it), but it's due to some kind of condition imposed by Ao (as in: you want to be a meddlesom little f***er? Well, now you are demigods and can be killed by randoms).

Edited by - Irennan on 19 Jun 2019 16:16:59
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  16:24:08  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Finger of Death is also disappointing. Not because it sucks compared to other spells, but because it shares the same problem of a lot of spells: they feel really same-y. They're just damage with a different label (and that's true for too many damage spells). I mean, yes it can create a zombie (only from humanoids, and only if it kills), but a single zombie per day is basically useless at 13th+ level.

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  17:52:24  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Much emphasis on them shedding their immortality and that they can be killed.

Looks like the Dead Three are going to soon again become the dead three in canon.

I hope that BG has a patron deity selection as part of the character creation. Would be too sweat to slay Bhaal with a cyricist assassin.

quote:
UNLESS some of the ideas we've proposed in the past are true (i.e. Iyachtu Xvim was using Bane's name) and thus a "demigod" Bane and a separate "greater god" Bane are existing at the same time (with the greater god being Xvim).

I still like my theory that Xvim aggravated Cyric one time too often and he slew Xvim while prentending it was due to the return of Bane and has been posing as both himself and Bane all the time.

Edited by - Mirtek on 19 Jun 2019 17:55:51
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  18:15:28  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:

Looks like the Dead Three are going to soon again become the dead three in canon.

I hope that BG has a patron deity selection as part of the character creation. Would be too sweat to slay Bhaal with a cyricist assassin.

Higly doubt it. It seems to me that they just want to offer a plot hook for campaigns, rather than rule it canon themselves. In fact, none of their adventures has a canonical outcome, so I dobut BG: Descent into Avernus (their upcoming adventure) will have it. I don't think they'll ever do something like that again; it's much easier to just lay out the plot hooks and then let individual groups develop them however they like.

According to its trailer, the BG 3 storyline will be mainly about illithids and will have nothing to do with the original BG story, so I don't think Bhaal will have any important role in the main plot.

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  18:19:48  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

quote:

Higly doubt it. It seems to me that they just want to offer a plot hook for campaigns, rather than rule it canon themselves. In fact, none of their adventures has a canonical outcome, so I dobut BG: Descent into Avernus (their upcoming adventure) will have it. I don't think they'll ever do something like that again; it's much easier to just lay out the plot hooks and then let individual groups develop them however they like.

According to its trailer, the BG 3 storyline will be mainly about illithids and will have nothing to do with the original BG story, so I don't think Bhaal will have any important role in the main plot.

Actually they do. They are just no longer spotlighted as much as in the past, but the CotD tried to summon Tiamat and failed (it's a footnote in the last Drizzt books), the demonlords came to the prime and where banished back (again only briefly touched in the Brimstone Angels novels and more prominently in the Drizzt novels).

So the events of previous arcs are still recognized by later releases and given an outcome. They just no longer get novel trilogies on their own.

Edited by - Mirtek on 19 Jun 2019 18:20:36
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  19:28:50  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or perhaps the 3.x/4e Bane was in fact Achra, the Bane from the Dawn War. That would explain his passivity since his "return". It was just a different individual. With the Realms Bane being returned as demigod in the Second Sundering.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  20:24:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So the events of previous arcs are still recognized by later releases and given an outcome. They just no longer get novel trilogies on their own.

That's just the outcome of the Tyranny of Dragons; as for the Rage of Demons, the demon invasion was kinda a given, but nothing was said about whether Lolth succeeded or not--which would be the main answer one would expect from a canonical outcome (I mean, it looks like she failed, because otherwise such a big change in the Abyss power hierarchy would have been spotlight in some way, but still, there's no hard canon). For the others, as far as I can tell, we know nothing, so (unless you are aware of outcomes that I don't know about; I've kinda stopped following their stuff) that's only one story that was given a canonical outcome (and only through a footnote in a novel, not in a clear and defined way in sourcebooks or in one of their lore videos).

Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2019 :  21:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Or perhaps the 3.x/4e Bane was in fact Achra, the Bane from the Dawn War. That would explain his passivity since his "return". It was just a different individual. With the Realms Bane being returned as demigod in the Second Sundering.

My theory about Dawn War Bane is that he was reduced to a demigod at some point and then met up with Bhaal and Myrkul to attack Jergal.

That would explain his reaction to becoming mortal in the Avatar series, which wouldn't make sense if he was ever mortal.

In this case, Dawn War Bane and Realms Bane are the same entity, but their power level has had its ups and downs over the eons.

That said, Bane is currently a multi-spheric deity thanks to Nerath revealed in 4e, so he'd have the most to lose in risking so much of his divine power that he becomes a mere demigod, which would go against the terms of his portfolio and his personality.

There's also the mess of souls in the Dead Three's respective afterlives.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000