Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2019 :  13:40:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A new Realms book is coming out Sept 17th.

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

quote:
Adventure for Levels 1-13

Diabolical dangers await in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game

Welcome to Baldur’s Gate, a city of ambition and corruption situated at the crossroads of the Sword Coast. You’ve just started your adventuring career, but already find yourself embroiled in a plot that sprawls from the shadows of Baldur’s Gate to the front lines of the planes-spanning Blood War! Do you have what it takes to turn infernal war machines and nefarious contracts against the archdevil Zariel and her diabolical hordes? And can you ever hope to find your way home safely when pitted against the infinite evils of the Nine Hells?

This purchase unlocks the entire contents of the book version for use with D&D Beyond, including the adventure in digital format and access to all the adventure's options in the searchable listings, character builder, and digital sheet.

Pre-ordering this content on D&D Beyond will unlock special character frames, character backdrops, and theme colors for the digital character sheet.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 18 May 2019 13:41:44

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2019 :  15:24:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like another thing I'll be getting on the cheap, to see if there's any usable lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2019 :  07:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im actually intrigued with this one

I could certainly see using this adventure as a sequel to Waterdeep Dragon heist especially if the DM ran the Cassalanters story especially if the characters might want to help their innocent children whose souls they sold to Asmodeous so Im thinking of relocating Descent to Avernus to Waterdeep....

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  16:14:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I'm just getting around to reading this adventure module, because I'm behind on every one of them. I'll also fully admit, I know of Elturgard's creation from the SCAG as basically a new goodly realm, and I knew that this module was supposed to cover something about the second sun that was created with Amaunator. However, I think I'm missing something … or maybe I've come across something... so I thought this was supposed to impact the sun created in 3e using an epic seed by a fire genasi priest of Lathander (heretic of Amaunator) named Daelegoth Orndeir in Elversult. The Epic Spell was Amaunator's Eternal Sun and it was successfully cast on Midsummer 1374 in Elversult (down kind of near Westgate south of Cormyr on the other side of the dragonmere).

But this module is talking about a sun over Elturel (due East of Cormyr and between it and Baldur's Gate about midway) called "the companion" in relation to a priest of Torm who apparently is turned to devil worship that gets created 70 years later in 1444 DR. Are these basically two different things, or am I absolutely missing something here?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  17:41:35  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

So, I'm just getting around to reading this adventure module, because I'm behind on every one of them. I'll also fully admit, I know of Elturgard's creation from the SCAG as basically a new goodly realm, and I knew that this module was supposed to cover something about the second sun that was created with Amaunator. However, I think I'm missing something … or maybe I've come across something... so I thought this was supposed to impact the sun created in 3e using an epic seed by a fire genasi priest of Lathander (heretic of Amaunator) named Daelegoth Orndeir in Elversult. The Epic Spell was Amaunator's Eternal Sun and it was successfully cast on Midsummer 1374 in Elversult (down kind of near Westgate south of Cormyr on the other side of the dragonmere).

But this module is talking about a sun over Elturel (due East of Cormyr and between it and Baldur's Gate about midway) called "the companion" in relation to a priest of Torm who apparently is turned to devil worship that gets created 70 years later in 1444 DR. Are these basically two different things, or am I absolutely missing something here?

Yes, they effed up in the 4E FRCG and got the Amaunatori sun up in the wrong city. I've not followed the evolution of the matter but I think this is the 5E way of trying to build a back story for this regrettable accident (might be hinted/said in some other late 4E or 5E sources).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  21:16:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotcha, so in THEORY … canonically in the past century two towns have had a sun created above them. Which, as I think on it, adds a little bit of irony on that whole "crystal sun named Zotha" that Asgorath breathed on.... as in my theories that it may have been yet another local sun with light but no heat (as this one is) seem more plausible. The idea that some suns give off no heat and only radiance (and thus some "sun" gods are light only...) has a bit more credence as well.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2020 :  10:07:38  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course you can have both (I mean technically canon has to have both).

It just seems strange that no word is spoken about the one in Elversult (which, to my knowledge and after a quick check on the wiki, didn't receive any update after the 3E era) considering that even if you have the Spellplague swiping it away it was up for 11 years and caused a schism in one of the major good churches.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2020 :  14:40:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Of course you can have both (I mean technically canon has to have both).

It just seems strange that no word is spoken about the one in Elversult (which, to my knowledge and after a quick check on the wiki, didn't receive any update after the 3E era) considering that even if you have the Spellplague swiping it away it was up for 11 years and caused a schism in one of the major good churches.

Hmmmm, you know what..... you just brokered an idea in me.... what if it DID disappear in the spellplague? What IF it went to Abeir, and even though the cleric that brought it about had linked it to Amaunator, he WAS originally a cleric of Lathander. I've been wanting to send Lathander to Abeir (along with a host of other deities mind you that also disappeared), and this could play a really good mechanic with some work. Except for the fact that the sun never seems to always be at noon in the area that it might appear (which for all we know, on the Abeir side might be over the ocean, over a vast chasm where noone lives, etc...), to a casual observer, they have problems telling it from the real sun. It could play an interesting story to if the gods have to MOVE it on the Abeir side (and by gods, I mean ALL the sun gods working together... Ra, Utu, Lathander, Tezca, Sun Youth great spirit, Intiri of the Naticans, my Metahel version of Frey/Lathander mixed named Faerthandir who rides a golden furred foxibou, etc....).

From a story standpoint, I'd been working on using the ship of the gods, and having it surrounded by a wall of wind caused by Skriaxits, and having the Beacon of Light (see VGtatM) be brought there and the beacon used to summon an avatar of Ptah to Abeir. This is why so many of the gods of Unther and Mulhorand reappear in Abeir in my plotline. To note, one of the "ways to destroy" the beacon of light is The Beacon must be enveloped in a pack of skriaxits led by a great skriax for one full century., so the idea here is that this artifact was used to return the gods, and during the second sundering its finally destroyed (or NOT if the Skriaxits are destroyed before a full century passes).

Along the same lines, I was going to send the "Lathander's Open Hand" temple in the tiny village of Hap in Battledale to Abeir. Said temple held an artifact The Blood of Lathander, which held four droplets of Lathander's blood within amber, and said might be used to establish his first temple on Abeir by placing it within some idol construct. Similarly, other artifacts might be employed in relation to other gods, such as the Chessmen of Ultham-Urre in relation to the Red Knight (which, I'm doing shenanigans with other deities to say that the "Red Knight" was in Abeir, but its actually a variant of Sif known as Sifya). Other items that might be used (just making a list for myself), these from VGtatM, The Cyrinishad, the Dragonking's Eye, The Guardian's Tear, the Ring of Winter, the Scepter of Savras, the Tear of Selune and these from Prayers from the Faithful The Balance of Belaros, The Chanting Chain, the Helm of Helm, the Mask of Mysteries, the Mighty Rune of the Master, the Scepter of Mystra, The Tome of the Morning, and Vorthryn's Archivir . Many of these minor artifacts are holy books, and its rumored that Deneir had some specific actions involved in using them to awaken Deities on Abeir.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 18 May 2020 16:20:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000