Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Heroes of Baldur's Gate (5e)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2019 :  09:21:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Saw this today. Heroes of Baldur's Gate. Has a print version available.

Set in 1368/1369...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 04 May 2019 23:44:41

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2019 :  16:14:01  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/269398/Heroes-of-Baldurs-Gate-5e
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2019 :  14:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Purchased the PDF, waiting on an update in the comments section before ordering the Hardcopy. There were apparently a few typos that need correcting, but nothing earth shattering.
I like it. I haven't reviewed the adventure in detail, mostly because I don't run adventures, just farm them for ideas, but the book gives an excellent framework to run a 5e adaptation of the Bhallspawn saga.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  04:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any reviews of this product? Did the an update happen. I would like to buy the hard copy but its a bit steep to buy blindly and would be annoying if it came with typos.

Would love to hear back from people who have even skimmed through it.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  01:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Any reviews of this product? Did the an update happen. I would like to buy the hard copy but its a bit steep to buy blindly and would be annoying if it came with typos.

Would love to hear back from people who have even skimmed through it.

It went PDF only for awhile while they made the corrections. I bought a hardcopy as soon as it came available again and I'm happy with it. I only have one tiny complaint. First, it's taller than the official 5e books, so while the graphics match my other 5e books spines on the shelf, it's about 1/8th of an inch taller and doesn't stand out.
Content wise, I love that is gives me some loose mechanics to run a tabletop version of the Bhaalspawn saga if I choose to, and the adventure looks fun to run, and I'm hoping to talk my players into trying it out.
That said, I'll readily admit I'm not very picky on published adventures. Most of the time, I make my own material up on the fly, so if there's any lack of plot hooks or story flaws, I'm not the one to look to for critique.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  03:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, I'd rather get both the hard copy and the digital one, the 1/8" is an odd hiccup but not a deal breaker.

A few more questions. Any nice maps? Over world or individual buildings? How about Beregost is it detailed at all?

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  14:00:14  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cool, I'd rather get both the hard copy and the digital one, the 1/8" is an odd hiccup but not a deal breaker.

A few more questions. Any nice maps? Over world or individual buildings? How about Beregost is it detailed at all?

There are several beautiful maps, some of which you can see here and here. Beregost isn't really covered in detail. Most of the mapped adventure sites are in the Gate, the Cloakwood Mines, and the Wood of Sharp Teeth.

EDIT: while I'm at it, here's links to the art in the book, for your judgement.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 29 Sep 2019 14:09:01
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2019 :  03:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much. You have been very helpful. It is likely I will be picking up the hardcopy & the digital one when I get some spare cash.

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2023 :  05:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something has been irking me about a map in this book. Maybe someone else can make sense of it.

In Area A, Southwest Baldur's Gate, what are the yellow and beige things that stretch between buildings? My first gut was like well traveled footpaths even though the texture under it seems cobble. Then I saw they cast shadows, was thinking like suspended walkways from upper floors, but that just seems odd especially with what buildings are linked. Maybe they are festive banners?

Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

128 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2023 :  12:13:13  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Something has been irking me about a map in this book. Maybe someone else can make sense of it.

In Area A, Southwest Baldur's Gate, what are the yellow and beige things that stretch between buildings? My first gut was like well traveled footpaths even though the texture under it seems cobble. Then I saw they cast shadows, was thinking like suspended walkways from upper floors, but that just seems odd especially with what buildings are linked. Maybe they are festive banners?

Yes, they do look like fabric. Protection from the sun, rain and pigeon droppings? It's interesting that they are not visible anywhere else, not even on page 93 (area Y), which includes the same area (and the other details match between the two maps).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000