Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Halfling magical items
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  16:10:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So an idea I'm pondering requires a magical item that would be something halfling-specific. And, perhaps because they're not one of my preferred races, I'm not coming up with any good ideas.

I thought I'd look up existing magic for halflings, but none of the books I thought to look at had much of anything specific to halflings. The Five Shires had some stuff, but none of those blackflame items grabbed me.

So I'm looking for either canon halfling magical goodies, or suggestions for something that would make a nifty, unique magical item. The item I'm looking to craft does not have to be a weapon; my tentative thinking it some sort of utility item with some handy defensive (though not necessarily combat-related) capabilities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  16:53:36  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pedicure set that does all the work on its own. Each item also has an odd power as well. That nail file? It's a +2 flying dagger that that turns anyone hit with it bright orange. The toe separator? It doesn't just separate toes, it also casts knock 3/day (or long rest if you're playing 5e). Oh, the nail cutters? They always point due north when commanded and are proof against magic missiles and absorb fireballs!

That's just random crap off the top of my head. Anyway, I figure a pedicure set is odd, whimsical and actually makes sense for our hairfooted friends. Also, traditionally halflings are good with ranged weapons such as slings and sling-staffs (or the hoopak for those Dragonlance lovers out there). So how about a sling that turns a slung bullet/stone into 3 such missiles that can hit the same target or multiple targets provided they are within a 15ft square of space?

Perhaps a sling-staff/hoopak that stands upright next to its master and yells an alarm when danger approaches.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  17:19:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a horn of plenty that produces food. A pipe of smoking that produces tobacco. A pot of brewing that gets hot and makes tea or coffee.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  17:34:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've a list of items with no names:

An oaken block that will turn into a locked door

Apple seeds that turn into apples upon command

A cloak that turns into a tent

A shield that transforms into a full table

A tiny pot that turns into a full cookfire with full sized pot

lots more...but no time right now.

Pretty much I thought that Halflings would have anything that made life easier...both in comfort and in surviving.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  18:14:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So I'm looking for either canon halfling magical goodies, or suggestions for something that would make a nifty, unique magical item. The item I'm looking to craft does not have to be a weapon; my tentative thinking it some sort of utility item with some handy defensive (though not necessarily combat-related) capabilities.

A Halfling Journey Cloak: turns into a tent, can be a small boat for two, gives protection vs. various things (fire and/or cold), will help a bound halfling break free, gives a bonus to Armor Class.

Just an idea based on what I read there from you.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  18:41:36  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the D&D comics and I believe in other sources there was the (magical?) cheeeeese that behaves like a drug to halflings. I think it might be a good idea to expand upon magical foods in this way, replacing much of the functionality of potions with similar abilities. You could create a whole “cookbook” using recipes in this way (that also requires standard rules for crafting, however you do so). I’d search on DMsGuild for magical foods because I think I saw something like that at some point.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  18:43:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

a horn of plenty that produces food. A pipe of smoking that produces tobacco. A pot of brewing that gets hot and makes tea or coffee.

Hmm... Perhaps a one-off, legendary item: Peregrin's* Basket of Food: once a day, it produces a very tasty, filling meal for up to six people. The meal includes a main course, dessert, and beverages. The basket also repels all vermin within 20 feet, and once a week, it can cast control weather. Maybe it also includes some sort of temporary saving throw bonus, or speeds up healing.

*Obviously, I'd change the name. That was just a placeholder. The name, obviously, is borrowed from Tolkien; it was one Peregrin Took, more commonly known as Pippin, who had the wonderful line about second breakfast:

Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.
Pippin: What about breakfast?
Aragorn: You’ve already had it.
Pippin: We’ve had one, yes. What about second breakfast?
Merry: I don’t think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn’t he?
Merry: I wouldn’t count on it.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  21:01:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a "potion of smoking"... its this liquid that works like tobacco, but it produces a harmless vapor...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  21:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

a "potion of smoking"... its this liquid that works like tobacco, but it produces a harmless vapor...

Oh please nooooo. Vaping halflings? Arghhh

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2377 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2019 :  03:11:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Made by or for halflings? Either way can't remember anything either, except hornblades.
Cormanthyr mentions returning daggers and magic sling bullets, of course. Also, flutes and lutes, it would make sense if some of the enchanted versions were made for them too.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2019 :  03:32:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Made by or for halflings? Either way can't remember anything either, except hornblades.
Cormanthyr mentions returning daggers and magic sling bullets, of course. Also, flutes and lutes, it would make sense if some of the enchanted versions were made for them too.

I'm not particular on who made the item in question, though it would work better if it was halfling made. I'm more looking for something that would be very appropriate for a halfling to want and consider valuable, but that isn't a weapon.

I like magical weapons as much as the next guy, but halflings don't have a strong martial tradition -- I'm thinking of something that just screams "halfling!" without being just a shorter version of something a human would have. Something more like the magic picnic basket I suggested a few posts up.

One of my first ideas was a quill that automatically mapped out the surrounding area, but it's too much like other stuff I've seen and doesn't really say "halfling."

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2019 :  08:06:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A ring of enlarge? Lots of short-sized folk have to live with medium-sized folk in a medium-sized world, doubling up their size could be handy for all sorts of daily things (including combat, if needed).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2019 :  16:28:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

A ring of enlarge? Lots of short-sized folk have to live with medium-sized folk in a medium-sized world, doubling up their size could be handy for all sorts of daily things (including combat, if needed).

I'd say go the entirely opposite direction. A belt of size alteration because taking a 3 foot tall, 40 pound halfling and turning them 18 inches tall, 5 pounds opens up all kinds of possibilities for sneaking into places and getting past obstacles such as barred gates, jail cells, hand cuffs, etc.... or even such desperate craziness as latching onto a ballista bolt and launching oneself as a means to travel a relatively long distance quickly (and yes, I just googled the weight of a ballista bolt, and they weighed up to 10 lbs).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  09:01:02  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magical beans, that when planted into the soil, grow into gigantic beansta…… oh wait…. that's been done. hehe
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  10:50:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose the big question is, what is it that typifies a halflings. Elves have music and woodcraft and their magic accentuates that. Dwarves are fighting and crafting and nothing says dwarves more than a dwarven throwing hammer or a magic pick. Gnomes are all about hiding and illusions and their magic items should accentuate that.

So what is are halflings all about. At a vague suggestion I would say halflings are about persuasion, interacting and living among all the other races they must be the ultimate bargainers (like a mini market stall seller).

I guess when you make a magic item you either make it for a specific purpose (slay a great evil etc) or you make it on commission for someone and they probably want you to make something that helps them with what they do all the time.

Of course in my version only the very rich can afford to have a magic item made so it would be for an ultra rich merchant to help make him even more rich.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  22:41:56  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I suppose the big question is, what is it that typifies a halflings.

Simply by reading what the rulebooks, Players Handbooks, and numerous sourcebooks tells us… I would guess that the word "comfort" best typifies the Halfling lifestyle.

Tolkien's hobbits also re-inforce that notion (of a comfortable and safe and peaceful lifestyle), although I really should not even mention Tolkien Hobbits because we are after all discussing D&D Halflings.

Let's remember that "adventurer Halflings" (and again adventurer Hobbits in the Tolkien world) are considered abnormal, they are considered deviants that go against the cultural norm.

So if we are going to say that tinkering/experimentation/curiosity is what "typifies" gnomes, then I'd say that the desire for a comfortable and peaceful lifestle is what typfies the typical Halfling.

A tobacco pipe with magical properties…. magic that bestows some kind of comfort or state of rest/peace/healing upon the Halfling…. that would be something I would think of.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  22:10:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
folding door of Halfling Holy Holery

a foldable round "door" that you can stick on a hill. Said door then creates an interior space filled with cooking utensils, tea pot, a bed, chairs, table, and the "necessities" (as in small cakes, tea, tobacco, cream, sugar, etc...).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2019 :  05:01:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

a foldable round "door" that you can stick on a hill. Said door then creates an interior space filled with cooking utensils, tea pot, a bed, chairs, table, and the "necessities" (as in small cakes, tea, tobacco, cream, sugar, etc...).

I like this, but I'd expand it a bit - maybe make it like a Daern's Instant Fortress, except it makes a small but well-stocked inn and tavern.

The more I think on it, the more I dig this idea.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2019 :  07:22:51  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perina's Portable Plush Pantry
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2019 :  10:16:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I like this, but I'd expand it a bit - maybe make it like a Daern's Instant Fortress, except it makes a small but well-stocked inn and tavern.

The more I think on it, the more I dig this idea.

I think I'm running with this one. A unique, variant Daern's Instant Fortress that creates an inn with a well-stocked pantry.

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2019 :  05:05:22  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some halfling-specific magic items in Dragon #262.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2019 :  18:23:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think I'm running with this one. A unique, variant Daern's Instant Fortress that creates an inn with a well-stocked pantry.

This is definitely what I'm running with, since I wanted something unique.

Tentative details:

It's like Daern's Instant Fortress, but with some changes.

The cube is wood, not metal. It grows to a small wooden inn, just two stories in height. On the ground floor is a table for 6, and a kitchen and pantry. There are two rooms upstairs; a larger one with 4 beds, and a smaller one with 2 beds.

The real variations are that whenever it's summoned, the pantry has enough food to feed 6 people for 3 days, and a like amount of water and ale. And the inn has a proprietor -- a halfling innkeeper who is part of the magic. He is a very good cook and is knowledgeable about farming, cooking, halfling religions, and common monster lore. He does not know anything about current or local events, and cannot leave the place. Any uneaten food that is removed from the place crumbles to a tasteless dust, within hours.

It is, obviously, a unique item. The inn has been used by humans and other races, but it's a legendary item to the hin, and they try to keep it in their own hands.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2019 :  19:10:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

This is definitely what I'm running with, since I wanted something unique.

Tentative details:

It's like Daern's Instant Fortress, but with some changes.

The cube is wood, not metal. It grows to a small wooden inn, just two stories in height. On the ground floor is a table for 6, and a kitchen and pantry. There are two rooms upstairs; a larger one with 4 beds, and a smaller one with 2 beds.

The real variations are that whenever it's summoned, the pantry has enough food to feed 6 people for 3 days, and a like amount of water and ale. And the inn has a proprietor -- a halfling innkeeper who is part of the magic. He is a very good cook and is knowledgeable about farming, cooking, halfling religions, and common monster lore. He does not know anything about current or local events, and cannot leave the place. Any uneaten food that is removed from the place crumbles to a tasteless dust, within hours.

It is, obviously, a unique item. The inn has been used by humans and other races, but it's a legendary item to the hin, and they try to keep it in their own hands.

I would think to make it halfling that the ceiling height would not be that high to be comfortable for most humans, elves maybe. I would not expect the ceiling to be any higher then six feet. It is usable by smaller humans or those that do not mind bending. Taller elves also might need to bend. Just my thought to really make it halfling. After all human ceilings at most tend to be 10 foot high and humans are twice as tall.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2019 :  19:28:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is something to consider, though it does tend to limit the utility of it. It does make it halfling-specific, but a lot of halflings that travel do so in the company of taller folk.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2019 :  19:52:20  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is something to consider, though it does tend to limit the utility of it. It does make it halfling-specific, but a lot of halflings that travel do so in the company of taller folk.

Do many halflings travel? I rather thought the tend to be home bodies. Might travel from one Shire to another, where the item clearly would be useful. Or even the item used to help start to establish a new Shire.
Just a thought, it is big enough that humans can fit after all. Just some would want to sit down soon to a nice meal.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2019 :  20:40:18  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe anyone entering it gets automatically "adjusted" to hin-size and restored back to normal upon exit (but only if entering/exiting through the door, so anyone getting in through translocation spells or trying to skulk in through the windows/chimney will find itself constricted in awkward positions by the hin-fitting space within, as a little measure of added safety for the hin's inn).
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2019 :  22:00:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Or maybe anyone entering it gets automatically "adjusted" to hin-size and restored back to normal upon exit (but only if entering/exiting through the door, so anyone getting in through translocation spells or trying to skulk in through the windows/chimney will find itself constricted in awkward positions by the hin-fitting space within, as a little measure of added safety for the hin's inn).

Oh, I like that idea... anyone over 4 foot tall gets reduced. If that were the case.... I can see some halfling bachelors interested in obtaining this.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  02:36:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Do many halflings travel? I rather thought the tend to be home bodies. Might travel from one Shire to another, where the item clearly would be useful. Or even the item used to help start to establish a new Shire.
Just a thought, it is big enough that humans can fit after all. Just some would want to sit down soon to a nice meal.

I'm thinking of adventuring halflings. Ones just staying in the Shire wouldn't really need this, because they're going to be near other halfling communities or established waystops. I should think that any halfling communities more that a day's travel from the next community are going to have waystops set up along the route, because having a comfortable place to rest and get out of the elements is very much going to be a thing for them.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  02:39:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a little more variant from the base Instant Fortress than I want to go. I was thinking that having the place stocked with food and having a cook there to make meals was kinda pushing the limits of what would be reasonable. (That's why I added the bit about uneaten food dissolving if carried out -- to put a limitation, minor though it may be, on it).

I'm also inclined to think that having it manned by a halfling, and catering to their love of comfort and food, goes a long way towards making this a halfling thing. YMMV, of course.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Apr 2019 02:40:54
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  03:10:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's a little more variant from the base Instant Fortress than I want to go. I was thinking that having the place stocked with food and having a cook there to make meals was kinda pushing the limits of what would be reasonable. (That's why I added the bit about uneaten food dissolving if carried out -- to put a limitation, minor though it may be, on it).

I'm also inclined to think that having it manned by a halfling, and catering to their love of comfort and food, goes a long way towards making this a halfling thing. YMMV, of course.

What might be interesting in the form of servants would be someone to manage the laundering of clothes, ironing clothes, mending of tears, etc... also perhaps someone to take care of their feet (grooming the hair, soaking and cleaning, clipping the nails, possibly even painting them). Maybe it fills a tub with boiling water. That way the halfling can be "presentable" when they leave, because it just "wouldn't do" to look like a ragamuffin. Now, I'm not picturing a "halfling" servant in this instance, but more something like a construct... but a construct made of something vey weak..... maybe an animated shirt with attached gloves. Of course, that might be a little too magery… but I like the idea that their focus is on keeping up their image.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2019 :  10:43:18  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but the old (non-advanced) D&D game had a book called The Five Shires that had halfling specific magic items in it. I believe it's tied to the world of Mystara and some of the items were interesting and centered on something called 'blackflame' I think. There was also a dragon article with items specific to halflings and gnomes in it.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000