Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ravenloft and the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2019 :  19:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can someone fill me in a tad on the current clack of Ravenloft, as far as 5e lore is concerned? I haven’t bought (yet) the Strahd book and to be 100% honest, my knowledge of Ravenloft stops at 2e.

Some sample questions of what I don’t know and would like to...

Is Barovia canonically a part of the Realms in the past now?

What’s the status of Castle Spulzeer?

Does Ravenloft still officially have domains from everywhere? I believe it’s part of the Shadowfell now?

What domains are Realms?

What’s the best official source of information on Ravenloft in general that isn’t the Strahd book?

Edit: Derp, a quick Google search netted me this info. It answers about half my questions. Is there more? https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ravenloft

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 25 Mar 2019 19:54:27

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  11:30:25  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've stopped at 2e as well, and so I can't help much. But since you are speaking of a link between Ravenloft and the Realms, maybe you should know that there is a permanent portal to the Demiplane of Dread which is not mentioned in the article above. In fact, it took me many years (too many) to discover this piece of lore: it is located in the Greycloak Hills, near to Evereska.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  21:39:16  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
STrahd is not part of the Realms, but like all of Ravenloft and the Planes in general it is accessible from the Realms. As near as I can tell, Ravenloft is still many realms. SPulzeer is whatever you want. I doubt they will update anytime soon if ever.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2019 :  22:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. And the portal thing seems a little odd to me as far as lore from 2e goes (unless it’s one way). One thing I remember clearly was that it was supposed to be very difficult to get out of the Domain of Dread.

I have always thought that creating a hombrew domain would be a fun thing to do. I need to do a bit more research.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2019 :  00:17:39  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the new lore (post 4e) Ravenloft's Domains of Dread are part of the Shadowfell, and so are conected to all the worlds of the Prime. So Barovia is still part of Greyhawk or whatever world was its original home, but now is part of the Shadowfell and thus conected to all worlds of the multiverse, including the Realms.

Besides Curse of Strahd, Fair Barovia (Dungeon 207, IIRC) is another good source of info about current day Barovia.

I guess that there is also a bit of info in Gloomwrought, the Shadowfell and Beyond, but I'm not sure, so let me check.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 29 Mar 2019 00:18:59
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2019 :  00:54:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed did a cool story about Volo visiting Ravenloft in digital Dragon when "Curse of Strahd" was released. They are definitely connected.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2019 :  02:51:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

In the new lore (post 4e) Ravenloft's Domains of Dread are part of the Shadowfell, and so are conected to all the worlds of the Prime. So Barovia is still part of Greyhawk or whatever world was its original home, but now is part of the Shadowfell and thus conected to all worlds of the multiverse, including the Realms.

It was already connected to all the worlds of the multiverse, in 2E -- the Mists could even reach into Wildspace.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2019 :  03:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are the Domains still incredibly difficult to reach, or is it just a part of the Shadowfell now that you can mosey on over to? How about leaving it or traveling between domains?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2019 :  03:29:56  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Are the Domains still incredibly difficult to reach, or is it just a part of the Shadowfell now that you can mosey on over to? How about leaving it or traveling between domains?

Leave? Ravenloft? What a silly concept. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2019 :  04:29:11  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Still difficult to reach, as you need to be in places where the Shadowfell bleed into the Material world and are also within the reach of a given domain of dread.

If you're within the Shadowfell, then is easy to spot them, they are behind a wall of mist. Their location isn't fixed though, as nothing in the Shadowfell really is fixed; the nature of the plane doesn't really allow that (as it reflects the whole Prime, not only a single world). The domains are rather like demiplanes within the Shadowfell.

If you're trapped by the mist, you're in the domain. Leaving it is as difficult as usual.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2019 :  12:18:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very interesting. And the portal thing seems a little odd to me as far as lore from 2e goes (unless it’s one way).
(...)

It's one way, for sure. Forgot to mention, but then again, I think it was obvious to me.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 29 Mar 2019 12:18:54
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2019 :  08:49:07  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I've stopped at 2e as well, and so I can't help much. But since you are speaking of a link between Ravenloft and the Realms, maybe you should know that there is a permanent portal to the Demiplane of Dread which is not mentioned in the article above. In fact, it took me many years (too many) to discover this piece of lore: it is located in the Greycloak Hills, near to Evereska.

Do you, by chance, remember where this information came from. I have my PCs en route for Evereska just now, and was planning something in the direction of a banshee-meeting in the Greycloaks. A Ravenloft link would be more than welcome, as 3 out of my 4 players do not really know RL as of yet >:->
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2019 :  16:07:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Owesstaer

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Do you, by chance, remember where this information came from. I have my PCs en route for Evereska just now, and was planning something in the direction of a banshee-meeting in the Greycloaks. A Ravenloft link would be more than welcome, as 3 out of my 4 players do not really know RL as of yet >:->

Page 11 from the original Realm of Terror boxed set: "In the Forgotten Realms, there is a gate in the Greycloak hills, on the western edge of the Anauroch desert. According to rumor, a pit somewhere in these hills leads to Ravenloft."

Also, from the same page: "According to legend, a few permanent gates or portals also lead to the demiplane. Most portals exist in the prime material plane, where they are rare and well hidden. Some open or exist only at certain times or when certain circumstances are true. Most appear to lead into the Misty Border. All are one-way gates. Each permanent gate provides an entrance to Ravenloft, but none provides an escape."

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2019 :  18:40:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love that its a "pit". There's so many of these "pits" in the realms that need some detailing.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2019 :  20:02:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I have a clue to what evil George once mentioned was lurking beneath the greycloak hills and what the elves where trying to keep people from releasing

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2019 :  01:45:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Now I have a clue to what evil George once mentioned was lurking beneath the greycloak hills and what the elves where trying to keep people from releasing

Portals generally don't lurk, and a one-way trip into Ravenloft is hardly something that could be released.

Besides, we already know what the elves are guarding, there: the crypt of Hssthak.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2019 :  01:51:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Hmmm, good point. How many pits do we know of around the realms?

There's Narathmault/Dun-Tharos

There's the Dark Pit of Maleficence near Peleverai that held Gargauth

There's in theory some other Pit of sorts beneath the Conjurer's Tower in Impiltur (Dun-Orthass)

There's apparently a pit beneath the Greycloak Hills with a link to Ravenloft and possibly other dangers

Athamault or "the iron pit" was an ilythiiri place somewhere near the Lake of Steam

There was the Pit of Ghaunadaur near Waterdeep

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000