Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Oldest Dragons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  22:55:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Without becoming undead of some sort or anything other than what they hatched as; what are some of the oldest Dragons in the Forgotten Realms?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  23:28:18  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suggest the corpse tearer, if you are OK with dragon type creatures.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  23:33:36  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

I suggest the corpse tearer, if you are OK with dragon type creatures.

Any particular one and age come to mind?

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  23:42:13  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was called the Hermit in the dragonrage trilogy (The Rage, The Rite, the Ruin). If I remember carefully, the Hermit remembered a time when true dragons (four legged dragons) and linnorms had no yet diverged. That sounds like multiple millenia in life span. Sorry I do not have the trilogy on hand. If another scribe could check and correct me on that reference, I would be grateful.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  23:47:54  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other dragon I suggest is the gold dragon Paralandusk, who has hatched when Netheril was still in power.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  23:55:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

It was called the Hermit in the dragonrage trilogy (The Rage, The Rite, the Ruin). If I remember carefully, the Hermit remembered a time when true dragons (four legged dragons) and linnorms had no yet diverged. That sounds like multiple millenia in life span. Sorry I do not have the trilogy on hand. If another scribe could check and correct me on that reference, I would be grateful.

Wow...that guy is older than the hills; literally!

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  23:58:32  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think putting an upper limit to the Hermit's age would be 32 millennia, when the dragons first appeared after the Sundering of Abeir-Toril.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  00:11:09  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought there was an upper limit to the age they could reach. WOW...32 millennia is crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  00:18:36  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently? The oldest known is Ralauthoarindulglaw "the Mountain" (species unknown), who lives in the Utter East, though according to Ed, Elminster knows there are even older dragons out there.

Other, "younger" Great Wyrm dragons of Toril include (as per Dragons of Faerun, so mind, they may have not survived the Spellplague):

—Amaeraszantha (amethyst; Tempus' plane)
—Aurus (gold; Cormyr)
—Balagos (red; Amn)
—Eldenser (amethyst/brass; wandering in sword form, body left in Waterdeep)
—Esmerandanna (emerald; Chult)
—Forgrimmorithal (black; Farsea Marshes)
—Furlinastis (shadow; Plane of shadow, analog to Starmantle)
—Ghondalaath (blue; Anauroch)
—Halaglathar (red; Turmish)
—Harondalbar (black; Yellow Snake Past)
—Ilnezhara (copper; Damara)
—Imvaernarho (red; High Forest)
—Iryklathagra (blue; Amn)
—Iyrauroth (black, The Vast)
—Klauth (red; High Forest —confirmed to be alive by the 1490+)
—Laurathor (red; lair unknown)
—Larendrammagar "Nexus" (gold; lair unknown)
—Maldraedior (blue; Tymanther —Unther, if you play pre-Spellplague)
—Mithbarazak (silver; Underdark)
—Ossavitor (species unknown; lair unknown)
—Ouranalathra (mist; Lake of Mist)
—Palarandusk (unique gold; Sword Coast North —confirmed by Ed to be alive by the 1490+)
—Prothanter (gold; Great Glacier —confirmed to be alive by the 1490+)
—Raulothim (emerald; Ruathym)
—Sneighfanglen (white; lair unknown)
—Tamarand (gold; Vaasa —confirmed to be alive by the 1490+; current King of Justice)
—Tazmikella (copper; Damara)
—Tchazzar (red; Chessenta; confirmed to be alive by the 1490+, though he was resurrected, so I dunno if he counts)

In Abeir, there is Argularrah (species unknown; lair unknown), who was a great wyrm when the dragonborn race was newly created (so, by the time Abeir and Toril were separated, around - 31000 DR), and has been reported to be still alive somewhere in Abeir or Laerakond.

PD: Didn't knew Krashos was a blue dragon

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 20 Mar 2019 00:32:20
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  00:43:24  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zeromaru, I immediately thought of Ralauthoarindulglaw also, but Ed's Twitter piece on him was specifically about how large he is. Size = Age is a valid conclusion, but not one drawn in the reply:

quote:
18 Feb 2019
þ
@littlefartloser
I'm trying to figure out how large a dragon can actually grow in Faerûn. How large is the largest living dragon? The Robert Wadlow of dragons if you will. Is it Klauth?

@TheEdVerse
No, Klauth is just one of the larger dragons seen in the Sword Coast region. There are wyrms far to the east (“Utter East” and in the north of Raurin) that are far larger (some of them tend and “farm” their own herds of wild beasts to dine on, in mountain-locked high valleys).

They include a gargantuan gray great wyrm, Ralauthoarindulglaw “the Mountain,” so large its wings can’t lift it off the ground, and whose hide has been adorned down the years with fused-on sheets of rock and boulders, so that when lying at rest, it resembles a rocky ridge or mountain spur. Elminster says Ralauthoarindulglaw is about a quarter of a mile long, and about sixty feet tall at its foreshoulders, when on all fours.

Other “big drakes” have been reported, but when creatures get that big, and are typically seen in difficult, remote wilderland terrain, getting exact sizes is difficult.

So Ralauthoarindulglaw may in fact fall far short of being “the largest living dragon.”

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 20 Mar 2019 00:43:49
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  01:10:14  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, thanks for the correction. I don't know why I though Ed has said he was the oldest.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 20 Mar 2019 03:54:36
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  03:18:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Oh indeed. One of Eric's whimsical moments.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  03:55:40  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Oh indeed. One of Eric's whimsical moments.

-- George Krashos

Is there any lore about this Krashos dragon?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  12:08:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just following the existing Realmslore. George is a lawyer, hence lawful. He’s obviously evil. And he lives in a Land Down Under. Seemed obvious.

More details in Drizzt Do’Urden’s Guide to the Underdark.

Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  15:22:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, and he's a Morueme…. I've always noted he has a strange fascination with hobgoblins

From DDGttU
Quevven Jusztiirn professes to be a venerable drow mage who resettled in the City of Shimmering Webs over fifty years ago after fleeing the strife that engulfed the city of Eryndlyn. In truth, he is Krashos Morueme (LE male adult blue dragon M12), a member of the legendary dragon clan of the Nether Mountains and a skilled wizard capable of hiding his true nature behind drow form. In keeping with his clan's abiding interest in the legacies of Netheril, Krashos's sojourn in the City of Shimmering Webs is driven largely by the trove of Netherese artifacts there.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 20 Mar 2019 15:23:58
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  08:47:36  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you include Realmspace, than the oldest dragons are the Air Dragons - which is a unique kind of dragon that lives past its body or something. all are like 10000 years or more.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  09:18:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, and he's a Morueme…. I've always noted he has a strange fascination with hobgoblins

What is a Morueme?

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  11:39:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morueme is a clan of blue dragons who dominate the Anauroch.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  14:36:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would an 1800 year old Bronze Dragon be out of the question?

I don't get the crux of a Dragon's Graveyard if dragons live so long.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000