Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do the Tabaxi engage in human sacrifice?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  04:14:10  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Did the Tabaxi engage in human sacrifice? I read a passage in the 2e book Jungles of Chult that Spiritlords "live to ensure the clan doesn't offend an ancient hero or elemental power by missing a ritual or a sacrifice."

Not sure if this means human sacrifice though.

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  09:51:39  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're not particularly evil. 'Rituals and sacrifice' can mean a lot of things, like killing an animal to appease the spirits, for example.
The Jungles of Chult book clearly states the goblins do sacrifice humans to their god. The Tabaxi rituals and sacrifices aren't specified as far as I know, but they're a lot... friendlier. :)
However, in the 3e Champions of Ruin book, there's mention of a cult called the Spearbearers of Ubtao, whose rituals require them to 'sacrifice sentient life' (with the lofty goal of preventing Dendar from eating the world).
So I would guess the tribes generally don't sacrifice humans, but this particular cult most likely does.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  21:36:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bulak

They're not particularly evil. 'Rituals and sacrifice' can mean a lot of things, like killing an animal to appease the spirits, for example.
The Jungles of Chult book clearly states the goblins do sacrifice humans to their god. The Tabaxi rituals and sacrifices aren't specified as far as I know, but they're a lot... friendlier. :)
However, in the 3e Champions of Ruin book, there's mention of a cult called the Spearbearers of Ubtao, whose rituals require them to 'sacrifice sentient life' (with the lofty goal of preventing Dendar from eating the world).
So I would guess the tribes generally don't sacrifice humans, but this particular cult most likely does.

sentient life does not mean human though. It could mean sacrificing yuan-ti, goblins, or any dozens of other sentient beings in Chult.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  22:02:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

sentient life does not mean human though. It could mean sacrificing yuan-ti, goblins, or any dozens of other sentient beings in Chult.

I'm with Sleyvas on this one. Goblins getting what they give is karmic.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  22:11:08  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, thinking about it, I definitely agree my assumption was wrong. There's no point in making things worse (more evil) than strictly needed for them.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  05:41:27  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

a cult called the Spearbearers of Ubtao, whose rituals require them to 'sacrifice sentient life' (with the lofty goal of preventing Dendar from eating the world).

Or simply "Enemy of the Tabaxi" / "Enemy of those who serve Ubtao", which in practice would be much the same.
"Spearbearers" suggests a martial order, so it would fit well.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 20 Mar 2019 05:42:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000