Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cleric of Kelemvor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2019 :  23:02:31  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am wondering why a person would worship Kelemvor.
For some other deities it's easy. "I like sex so I worship Sharess" or "I believe in justice so I really, really like Tyr."
But other than classic and frankly somewhat boring trope "some undead killed my relatives" I can't think of a good reason for someone to become a cleric of Kelemvor. Any ideas?

Matthian
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  00:23:40  Show Profile Send Matthian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I understand, one of Kelemvor's big things is about a peaceful transfer of the dying into the afterlife. Maybe good people who want to ease the passing of others, so they're not scared, would be a cleric of Kelemvor. This might arise from someone just genuinely being a good person, or perhaps seeing a loved one die while scared, or had a love one die alone, and they'd want to help others avoid that in the future.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  00:27:21  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tradition (ghostwise halflings worship Urogalan who is surprisingingly similar to Kelemvor, for as much that reason as any other). Death is an ever present part of life. Focus on the afterlife is an extremely important of many current religions and Kelemvor is at the center of that for the Realms. Plus there are all the executioners, graveskeepers, morticians, professional keeners, providers of last rites, and the like, not to mention folks who have to set up inheritances (if in question), that have to manage death for others--all of which are never ending businesses. Some are drawn to the provision of solace to those in grief. Some are simply fascinated by the unknowable. Some are both. Plus as you ably point out, in a world where the suffering of loved ones may continue into undeath and the undead are all too common, the orderly maintenance of the circle of life is even more important. My guess is more people come to the faith later in life (after they've experienced loss or approach their own end) than earlier.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  01:38:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point. I wonder if Kelemvor gets a lot of converts from other religions who have seen too many friends die on adventures. If that is true, then this church may be somewhat top heavy with fewer low level clergy.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jaz660
Acolyte

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  02:47:38  Show Profile Send Jaz660 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to think fantasy medieval life expectancy is lowish, and for most folk death is the end. In large urbanised areas ( Calimshan cities for example ) with societal class and gender bias, being a lay follower of Kelemvor could open opportunities for access to wealth and power being a merchant or tradesperson could not. The promise of retailing and immortalising ones life and death and performing well with dignity could see you immune to intrigues and prospering in the chaos. Likewise elsewhere cut and thrust intrigues survive. Death has always been a business.
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  18:27:04  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Tradition

Isn't Kelemvor actually a relatively new god that does stuff differently than his predecessors?

quote:
My guess is more people come to the faith later in life (after they've experienced loss or approach their own end) than earlier.

I am not sure about that idea. I think all deities offer an afterlife and someone like Sune has an afterlife that an average person would consider more pleasant.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz660
being a lay follower of Kelemvor could open opportunities for access to wealth and power being a merchant or tradesperson could not. The promise of retailing and immortalising ones life and death and performing well with dignity could see you immune to intrigues and prospering in the chaos. Likewise elsewhere cut and thrust intrigues survive. Death has always been a business.

I'd think being a cleric of any popular deity would be a nice career if you can get it. Aren't "agrarian" clerics more popular among people anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  22:00:38  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they're still the most popular, as the Realms has mostly an agrarian culture still.

quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Clark

quote:

Tradition

Isn't Kelemvor actually a relatively new god that does stuff differently than his predecessors?

Kelemvor is more than 150 years old by now. By this point, you can consider his religion tradition.

If you're playing in the Realms before the Spellplague, then yes, he a new god, whose main attractive point is that his take on death is not "hurr, durr, death iz evulz *insert evil laugh here*", like Myrkul or Jergal did in times past.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Mar 2019 22:02:46
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  14:19:13  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X
whose main attractive point is that his take on death is not "hurr, durr, death iz evulz *insert evil laugh here*", like Myrkul or Jergal did in times past.

I am quickly going off the topic, but was Jergal ever explicitly stated as evil? I thought he was more of an indifferent deity that just doesn't care about mortals that much. Powers and Pantheons list Jergal as Lawful Neutral. Now Cyric and Myrkul, those were some evil jerks.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  20:28:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I recall correctly, Jergal was legal evil by the time of Netheril. He was considered "the ultimate tyrant" by the Netherese (nobody could escape from him in the end), and was also the lord of the undead. So, another "death is evulz" god.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  01:24:36  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kelemvor controls whether souls make it to the afterlife with their patron deity or if they are faithless or false. That's pretty important at least to anyone who wants to think that deeply about such things. Granted there's rules he has to follow to get along with the other gods and such, but doesn't change the fact that he's the bureaucrat in charge of this process, and there's real power in that.

As for Jergal, he's LN, but he's trafficked in evil to meet his ends. In 1E parlance, I'd probably make him LN with evil tendencies.
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  10:50:40  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kelemvor controls whether souls make it to the afterlife with their patron deity or if they are faithless or false.

Oh, I did not know that. I thought if some deity wants a dead person they go to Kelemvor's place and take them.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  14:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many on the surface of Faerun would pray for safe passage in the afterlife for their loved ones.

Some would decide to serve as priests and ministers to help comfort the bereaved.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  02:21:23  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well what do we know. Does a god ask for the soul or does Kelemvor send it on or both. Does it matter? The bottom line is Kelemvor has the souls and his bureaucracy is the bottleneck to getting them where they need to go or to punishing them in his wall. He follows the rules, but that doesn't mean he can't occasionally slow roll someone moving on (in fact IIRC, he's done it) or lose one (granted I think he's probably too ethical to do something like that, but give the right circumstances, he might).
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  03:16:59  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't remind me of that Wall. Is the only thing I don't like about him...

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2019 :  05:58:10  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kelemvor controls whether souls make it to the afterlife with their patron deity or if they are faithless or false.

My understanding is the opposite: normally deities claim "their own" and are given "close enough" cases, Faithless and False are the ones unclaimed.
Having him more in control than this in a non-unified pantheon wrecks the balance of power. Which is why his pocket mini- Great Wheel had to go, and the Wall is back, of course.
Claiming everyone "by default" (unless claimed by another god) was not something the rest could allow. Nor incentives to ditch them.
So the conditions on which the Wall could be removed are simple.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2019 :  12:23:51  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we are making this seem way more simplistic than it needs to be. God shows up and takes soul and done. If it were that simple, why even need Kelemvor (or Myrkul or Jergal beforehand). This is clearly a highly Byzantine process with lots of nuance, thus Jergal keeping the rolls.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2019 :  13:49:08  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Kelemvor's (highest-level) clerics would not dare to perform resurrections?
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2019 :  21:52:03  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine that clerics, in their own way, are considered part of the bureaucracy. They can work it, but IIRC and without looking-so I could be wrong, there has been lore that Kelemvor is not fond of allowing resurrections.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2019 :  22:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I imagine that clerics, in their own way, are considered part of the bureaucracy. They can work it, but IIRC and without looking-so I could be wrong, there has been lore that Kelemvor is not fond of allowing resurrections.

Actually, Kelemvor is against the unnatural extension of life, which is not necessarily the same as resurrection. If a person does not seek undeath, eternal youth, or resurrection long after they died of expended lifespan, Kelemvor is fine with the revival of dead people.

In fact, Kelemvor's specialty priests are given a special advantage of making resurrection less traumatic on revived creatures in Faiths and Avatars.

Kelemvor's high clerics are among the best revivers to go to, as long as they are not asked to touch natural biological lifespans in the process of resurrection.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 23 Mar 2019 22:40:51
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2019 :  19:03:22  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall from my reading of the novels, when someone dies their soul goes to the Fugue Plane. It wanders the plane, as its soul attempts to recall and recite the prayers of its deity. If successful, their wandering path leads them to a gathering of similarly praying souls. A proxy for their deity sweeps over the Fugue Plane, listening for the prayers of its God's faithful. The proxy finds them, and gathers them up, leading them on to the afterlife within their deity's realm. Kelemvor never sees these souls.

For those that are unsuccessful in their attempts, their path eventually leads them to the gates of the City of the Dead. Allowed into the gates, they are sorted by the devils, faithless go to the Wall, and the False are claimed and tortured.

If there is a dispute over a soul, those claiming the dispute petition Kelemvor, who presides over the court that rules on the fate of the soul.

Back to the wall... there are times that the Demons of the Abyss invade the Fugue Plane and attack the city's wall. Their goal is to rip as many souls from the walls as possible.

---- The following is my further interpretation ----

I also believe that for those souls that are wandering the Fugue Plane, destined for the gates to the City of the Dead, Devils are allowed to offer them "deals". They are unable to bargain from a position of strength, so the resulting deals are fairly one sided.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000