Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Neverwinter Woods
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  00:49:04  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for adventure ideas in and around Neverwinter Woods, circa 1357. All 'canon' post-1357 can be ignored.

I've read that there's a druid circle called the Ring of Swords (seems like a silly name for a druid circle, but whatever), who protect the forest from evil humanoids. But then I also read that the evil humanoids don't really go into the forest because of the strong magical nature of the forest.

And then we have that Netherese ruin. What could be discovered therein?

Ah, and then there's also the mountain and its fire elementals.

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  02:32:08  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a nice write-up of Neverwinter Wood in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Maybe can help you, though you should ignore the more recent developments.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  01:42:09  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks. Any other ideas? Doesn't need to be official material.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  05:20:39  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that a powerful Banshee named Agatha resides in the south-eastern portion of the woods.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  07:51:42  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valarmorgulis

Cool, thanks. Any other ideas? Doesn't need to be official material.

I've done a lot there in my Neverwinter campaign. The LFR have a few adventures based in the Neverwinter Woods, thay I've adapted for my home Realms.

The issue is that nothing is usefull for the time frame you're asking for, as my campaign takes place in 1479-1481 DR. This means all my stuff assumes that the Spellplague happened and all that stuff that you don't want in your campaign.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 15 Mar 2019 07:55:01
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  08:40:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The netherese ruin is the enclave owned by ioulaum. He seemingly abandoned it before the fall but there could be plenty of rumours about magic he left behind.

Why not adapt the story from neverwinter nights 2

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  09:27:25  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeon #28 had an AD&D1 adventure set in the Neverwinter Woods called "Visitors from Above". It functions as an introduction to Spelljammer. It's set in 1357 DR.

I seem to recall another Dungeon adventure set there as well, but I can't think of it at the moment.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by valarmorgulis

I'm looking for adventure ideas in and around Neverwinter Woods, circa 1357. All 'canon' post-1357 can be ignored.

I've read that there's a druid circle called the Ring of Swords (seems like a silly name for a druid circle, but whatever), who protect the forest from evil humanoids. But then I also read that the evil humanoids don't really go into the forest because of the strong magical nature of the forest.

And then we have that Netherese ruin. What could be discovered therein?

Ah, and then there's also the mountain and its fire elementals.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2019 :  02:06:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

I believe that a powerful Banshee named Agatha resides in the south-eastern portion of the woods.

I dislike that name for a banshee.

I wonder what her story is. She's more neutral than one would expect for a banshee, and she seems rather tied to her one, out-of-the-way spot.

I suspect that she was once an elfmaid who lived in the area until suffering some grievous loss that caused her death and transformation to undeath. She likely feels some lingering bond to the area because of her life there, and that's why she stays and kinda looks out for the locals.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2019 :  10:13:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have plans for Agatha, never you mind.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2019 :  12:56:20  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind spoilers, George

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

I dislike that name for a banshee.

I wonder what her story is. She's more neutral than one would expect for a banshee, and she seems rather tied to her one, out-of-the-way spot.

I suspect that she was once an elfmaid who lived in the area until suffering some grievous loss that caused her death and transformation to undeath. She likely feels some lingering bond to the area because of her life there, and that's why she stays and kinda looks out for the locals.

Yeah, I though the same about her name. Too mundane for a banshee. I've used her IMC. She is not mentioned in the 4e NCS, but I read about her in the wiki and found her concept interesting. Then I came up with my own explanation for it, its a nickname.

(To clarify: IMC, Conyberry was never destroyed by the Netherese -- I found the concept of half of the town being replaced with another town from Abeir way too interesting to left it to root).

I decided that Agatha is a name locals gave to her to make her seem friendly. Much like they named a nearby dragon "Gertie". It helps them to cope up with the fact that those dangerous creatures are living near their houses.

"We have a stlarning banshee living up there, at least treat her like a neighbor". That weird neighbor you're afraid of because you think she has too many cats, but a neighbor nonetheless.

They still say to their children "if you go to the forest without a proper gift, Agatha will get angry at you"

I don't know why this phrase filled my players with so dread, but they avoid Neverwinter Wood and never enter it unless they have some item they believe will make a proper gift for her.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 16 Mar 2019 13:03:41
Go to Top of Page

valarmorgulis
Learned Scribe

112 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2019 :  19:05:15  Show Profile Send valarmorgulis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got the beginnings of a plot, which is that the Zhentarim have learned that Xinlenal is somewhere in Neverwinter Wood and have sent several hundred warriors and a dozen mages to unearth it. They believe that the wood elves dwelling there know of its exact location, but the reclusive elves are very difficult to catch, so they have concocted a plan: First, they will charm some of the local loggers in Thundertree to cut down an ancient holy tree, thereby angering the elves and causing them to attack the loggers. The Zhentarim will step in under the guise of being an adventuring band, "save" the loggers, and in the process they will attempt to capture a few elves for later questioning.

The next arc will be the Zhentarim in Xinlenal, digging things up Indiana Jones style. I'd like for the PCs to find something really valuable -- a Nether Scroll perhaps -- and lead the Zhents on a chase as the PCs try to get it into the hands of someone they can trust to protect it. I'm thinking Silverymoon.

I also have a different adventure idea where the Neverwinter river freezes over. Turns out that a powerful priest of Auril wants to punish Neverwinter and bring the fear of Auril to them. Maybe the city wouldn't allow her to build a temple, I'm open to ideas here. How would she cause the river to freeze? Is there some powerful item? A ritual? Call down Auril herself?

Edited by - valarmorgulis on 16 Mar 2019 19:26:23
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2019 :  19:30:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the actions of the zhentarim, causing problems to then appear with the resources to solve it and then exploit everything for their own aims. Sounds like perfectly evil zhentarim to me.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2019 :  12:49:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My blended Neverwinter Vale/Nentir Vale map has MANY locations that are 'canonical' to specific sources and editions (aside from the Nentir Vale stuff I shoe-horned in). I believe I used blue text for sites that were from video games. At the very least, it should give you some inspiration.

I do plan to get back to that next, as soon as I am finished with the Crown of Earlann maps. That map was coming out way too nice to just abandon like that. I also work on VG mods now, so my time is split, but the new comp. should more than make up for that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Mar 2019 12:50:29
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2019 :  14:22:37  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you need more Nentir Vale info, Markustay, just PM me

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2019 :  15:11:08  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agatha... Copper elf, 15th level sorcerer. Mother of 3 children, wife to a Green elf scout. Watched her husband and 2 children ripped apart by a Legendary, 30 HD Owlbear. Died in combat against the owlbear, protecting her youngest child, a green elf scout/ ranger who took after her husband. She was transformed at the moment of her agonizing death to the owlbear, and rose from death to slay the legendary beast. Her only remaining child, now a middle aged green elf scout 10/ ranger 10 protects her and the family grove from any enemies looking to make a name for killing the famed Banshee of Neverwinter wood. The son is the leader of Coneyberry and that is why she is hailed as a non-threat to the surrounding residents. The son of Agatha, a dour green elf by the name of Agateathrtiim, or Agate for short, has single handedly repelled the Shadovar, Thayans and Zentarim from occupying Coneyberry or trying to use and control his mother for evil purposes. Agate was watching Drizzt and the companions of the hall from a nearby Sycamore tree as that confrontation occurred, having been contacted by Malchor Harpell of the impending visit to her grove.

There you go... I just made all that up in 5 minutes. Hope it helps.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2019 :  06:20:56  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeon #20 - The Ship of Night. Underdark adventure beginning near the base of Mount Hotenow.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000