Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Glabrezu
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2019 :  23:34:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings,

Somewhere I read once that after a balor dies, it comes back as a glabrezu. Not sure which edition I read that in.

Any ideas?

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  00:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's definitely not the case in the 2e Planescape materials. There a fiend killed away from its home would be banished for 100 years. Whether that meant it was just sitting around the plane unable to leave, or sort of merged with the plane and took 100 years to tear itself free depended on the book. It mostly leaned towards the first option (and it's how it was played in novels).

I can't speak for later editions.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  00:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pages 8 and 9 of 3E "Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss" is likely what you are looking for. Page 8 deals with promotion and the demonic cycle, page 9 deals with death.

I'm pretty sure Orcus actually has history of working his way up the ladder. Since he has been defeated so many times on such grand scales not sure if he ever slid down it.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  04:59:30  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I think this was also mentioned in Elminster in Hell? Been years, obviously...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  14:40:30  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Pages 8 and 9 of 3E "Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss" is likely what you are looking for. Page 8 deals with promotion and the demonic cycle, page 9 deals with death.

I'm pretty sure Orcus actually has history of working his way up the ladder. Since he has been defeated so many times on such grand scales not sure if he ever slid down it.

Orcus, unlike his rivals, went from petty necromancer-priest to mane to balor to Demon Prince through grit and spite and sheer tenacity, and in death he rose again through sheer rage and hatred to the extent that he stood in the greatest nexus of Law in the Planes and defied it, bending it to his will and purpose.

I think any 'defeat' he currently endures gives whatever Power he's facing sleepless nights. After all, he came back from Death itself to twist a fundamental concept of the multiverse to his will and thought, even for a short while; any 'defeat' he endures probably has the other guy going "wait, I defeated Orcus? FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000