Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sossal Timeline
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThirdLevelBard
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  03:03:36  Show Profile Send ThirdLevelBard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
When I was in middle school, just starting to discover DnD, my local library had a copy of the 3.5e campaign setting. It spent a lot more time in my house than on the shelf for several years. I never ran a game based on the Realms, I just immersed myself in the lore. One remote corner of the world that I fell in love with, despite only a tiny description, was Sossal, and based on a search of the forums here it seems I wasn't the only one.

I was considering doing a Sossal sourcebook for the DM's Guild, but after seeing all the resources people have put together on Sossal here over the past decade, I'd want to check with some folks first so I don't steal anyone's work. That said, I'd like to keep interest up whether anything comes of it or not. I recently read through coach's awesome list of all mentions of Sossal (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4445), and I came up with the following timeline. I'd love some help tweaking and adding to it.

SOSSAL TIMELINE

–2642 DR: The Dwarven kingdom of Dareth is founded by King Orloebar Snowbeard, who renounced his clan and moved north from what is now Mulhorand. (Grand History, Dwarves Deep)

–2320 DR: Soss, a Rashemi warrior, leads a group of his people north to trade with Dareth. They settle in the local area and eventually become known as the Sossrim. They have no strong central authority, and the Dwarves consider them lawless. (Grand History, Dwarves Deep)

–1967 DR: Sossrim mercenaries participate on both sides of the First Mulhorand–Unther War. (Grand History)

–1648 DR: The precursors of the Ulutiuns arrive from Kara-Tur and stay with the Sossrim for a while. (Grand History)

–1076 DR to –1069 DR: Sossrim mercenaries are hired by Mulhorand to fight in the Orcgate Wars. (Grand History)

–343 DR, Year of Chilled Marrow: The White Dragon realm of Hoarfaern attacks Dareth, driving the Dwarves underground. The Sossrim notice an abrupt cessation of trade with the Dwarves, but never discover the reason. (Grand History, Dwarves Deep)

–327 DR, Year of Opened Graves: Dwarves from Clan Shattered Shield of Sundabar arrive in Dareth and discover the survivors of the kingdom. They help build a new fortress on a lone mountain they rename Mount Sundabar. Embryn Shattered Shield becomes king and renounces his clan name in favor of Dareth. (Grand History, Dwarves Deep)

–318 DR Year of Crying Wolves: Using ancient magics, the dragons of Hoarfaern destroy Mount Sundabar, annihilating the top half of the mountain. The surviving dwarves bring the dragons and their minions to battle. Although they are annihilated, ending the kingdom of Dareth, they deal a crippling blow to Hoarfaern, which takes centuries to recover and allows other races to expand in the region. The mountain where the battle took place is renamed Heroes' Height. (Grand History, Dwarves Deep)

–300 DR Year of Cold Anger: The Frost Giant chieftain Orbrud of the Pines attacks the Sossrim, but is defeated when King Arkhan Tallos of Raumathar sends warriors riding wind elementals to help. The Sossrim join Raumathar out of gratitude, but remain so isolated that they are independent in practice and are unaffected by the empire's later fall. (Grand History)

-249 DR, Year of Silver Wings: The Convocation of Eagles, the last major Avariel community in Faerun, discovers the destroyed peak of Mount Sundabar. Mistaking the bisected peak as the work of a Netherese wizard, they build a replacement mountaintop of glass over the stone plateau, naming it the Aerie of the Snow Eagles. (Demihuman Deities, A Comprehensive Look at Avariels (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/avariel2.htm), Homebrew)

((The Aerie was founded "ages ago", but could not have been founded until after Hoarfaern bisected Mount Sundabar. I'm open to other dates. I mostly just liked the name of the year.))

331 DR, Year of the Cold Clashes: Ylaethar “the Bear” unites the Sossrim clans for the first time and declares himself Ornath, the Sossrim equivalent of King. (Grand History)

991 DR, Year of the Breaking Ice: Londraeth, the Ornath, leads the Sossrim in defeating an invasion by Nar-bound demons that escaped after earthquakes tore open their icy prisons. (Grand History)

1319 DR, Year of the Fallen Throne: Thelessar becomes the last Ornath when his twin sons, Norlith and Baldraeth, murder him. The Great Druid Ulthorkh banishes them from Sossal and makes the druidic Circle of the Frozen Sun the new authority in the realm. (Grand History)

1373 DR, Year of Rogue Dragons: During the last Rage of Dragons, Sammaster strikes an alliance with the Ice Queen Iyraclea, sending her the white dracolich Zethrindor and an army of white dragons. The Ice Queen marches on Sossal, causing great destruction, but the alliance falls apart and both Iyraclea and Zethrindor are killed. (Year of Rogue Dragons: The Ruin)

Other dates to consider: when was Hoarfaern founded? What else can we add to bridge gaps and spice up Sossal? Are there any canon mentions that I've missed?

Edited by - ThirdLevelBard on 19 Feb 2019 03:12:32

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  09:00:30  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Potentially there is more to dig out from old 2nd Edition accessory: FR 14 - Great Glacier ?

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000