Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Maerimydra
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2019 :  03:29:37  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
Wasn't there a rule that the names of Drow houses don't start with "L"?

Do you know the source for this? I have never heard of it.

I don't remember, but FR wikia .fandom.com refers to The Drow of the Underdark by Ed

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2019 :  12:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it - Drow of the Underdark p.97
"Surnames
Drow last names are many and varied. Only those of noble blood, or commoners holding titled ranks (such as patron, weapons master, or herald) in a noble House, may use the name of their House as a surname. By tradition, no House name begins with the same "L" sound as the name of the Spider Queen, Lolth, and no drow bears the personal name of "Lolth" or any of its variants (Lloth, Loethe)-except a revealed avatar of the Goddess."

Right below it is a list of suggested surnames including Lhalabar and Luen. So house name could start with L but should not sound like Lloth in any way.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2019 :  16:16:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

By tradition, no House name begins with the same "L"
[...]
Right below it is a list of suggested surnames including Lhalabar and Luen. So house name could start with L but should not sound like Lloth in any way.

Or, it's not acceptable a noble House name, but granmothered in allowed for surnames in general?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2019 :  19:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could not just invent a family name and I do not think it is possible to officially use any surname you want. All important drow have already accepted surname/family name. In this case I have only checked if it is not aginst cannon as it was made up by me.

As we are already on subject of names and Maerimydra I am wondering for some time if there is any relation with Maedrym family of Myth Drannor ( https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Maerdrym ). It seems to me too close a match to be only a incident...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2019 :  22:20:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no connection between House Maerdrym and the drow city of Maerimydra. Unless you want there to be.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 26 Sep 2019 22:20:59
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  00:54:23  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

There is no connection between House Maerdrym and the drow city of Maerimydra. Unless you want there to be.

— George Krashos

Thank you for confirming that :-) Now I am free to make it up if it fits. I like to know the original before I corrupt it.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2019 :  01:36:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there tunnels that connect Maerimydra to Haptooth Hill?

If so, where is this referenced?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2019 :  06:33:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Are there tunnels that connect Maerimydra to Haptooth Hill?

If so, where is this referenced?

There is a reference to this drow city having an outpost at Haptooth Hill in the "Underdark" sourcebook (p.160).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2019 :  06:59:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which edition Underdark?

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2019 :  11:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Which edition Underdark?

3ed sourcebook, mention only. It seems clear to me that given the closeness of Hap to Maerimydra there is a way to go there. As Maerimydra is in middledark and this is a surface exit I would say that will not be a direct way unless it was build by drow.

In my realms drow do not know about it currently and it is used by Cult of Dragon as a base.
There is also a dwarven village of Glen nearby (in Mistledale) that has access to underdark. Another access/exits are in Elven Court, Shadowdale, Daggerdale, Semberholme.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2019 :  19:10:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks much folks!

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  01:42:32  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

It is awfully convenient that there Maerimydra is practically right under Myth Drannor and where House Maerdrym was?

Perhaps....some Realms drama is about to unfold?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

— George Krashos

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000