Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Expanding the Points of Light world
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  15:26:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings Realms fans and World building enthusiasts!

So most times when I DM, I use an established world for our games. About 90% of the time it’s set in the Forgotten Realms, while other settings include Magic: the Gathering’s Ravnica, Warcraft, and Greyhawk. These are all amazing, fun, and in-depth worlds with their own unique flavor and style.

Another is the Points of Light setting that 4th Edition started. Now it was made intentionally vague for DMs to help explore and expand on and I plan on doing just that, but I need some help. Mostly in the naming of, and placing events therein for the setting.

For those that don’t know or didn’t follow the PoL setting, it got heavily expanded on as the edition rolled out. It added depth and backstory. It added dangerous crypts, dungeons, and places of interests. It added things that made it it’s own unique world. But it’s small. You can see the map of the ENTIRE continent HERE and while it looks pretty big with lots of cool locations in it, it’s only one area. It would be as if the world revolved only around the Sword Coast and Western Heartlands.

Now the history of the PoL realm and the entire world is actually pretty deep and awesome. It follows a lot of tropes that other fantasy worlds follow and the entire timeline can be found HERE in a PDF format made and compiled by Zeromaru X. But it really only goes so far as to explain and expand on current content from the 4E sources (and a few older ones too). So what I’d like to do is make it BIGGER and add more elements to make up the rest of the world.

I drew a quick sketch of what I’d like the bigger globe to look like HERE but it’s just a rough drawing (and not one of my better ones). What it does is establish the known continent in the Eastern Hemisphere but I added more to the western part of the continent, as well as a Western continent and a large group of island chains near the equator (more on that later).

Basically I need help filling in all the areas not covered. What I have thus far is the current covered content (basically all the adventures from 4E and a few converts like the Tomb of Horrors and White Plume Mountain). In addition, they updated Elsir Vale (the setting for the Red Hand of Doom campaign for 3e) and expanded upon that in 4E’s big Scales of War adventure path. I’ve placed that area southwest of Nentir Vale and the area between Nerath and the Iron Circle in a sub-tropic zone.

Other things I’m covering is the town of Saltmarsh (from the 1e adventures) and more recently updated in the Dungeon Master’s Guide II for 3e that makes it a big area. That city and the surrounding environs is on the south-west region in what I’d like to see as some sort of struggling Empire. Also, I got a hold of the Avatar: The Last Airbender supplement for 4th Edition that uses 4E as a system for elemental bending. They're going to inhabit most of the island areas in the middle of the Western Ocean but I'm not calling them "benders" but using the title Wu Jen.

Lastly there's a Northern continent that is occupied mostly of the undead. Yes, it's cliché but I think the Undead of this world need their own feuding war that spills into other areas. To make this unique, I'm drawing from the events in D&D lore and the northern part of the continent is the location where mortal Vecna died, assassinated by Kas. Kas and his vampire legions fled south, attacked and harried by Vecna's lich and specter army. Now the continent is at war with the Vampires and other corporeal-undead (and their slaves) occupying the lower half while battling a lich-King and his incorporeal undead in the north.

So anyways, that's where I'm at so far. If people can think of non-setting adventures from D&D (edition doesn't matter) that I could place in the setting or would like to drop some names for the western Empire or have ideas for locations and cities I'd love to hear them! Thanks!

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  17:12:36  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I did a "known geography" topic in the Piazza forums that you can check HERE. I need to update it, as I've found new locales while re-reading my 4e books, but I guess it can help with the basic areas. Hope it can be of use for your project.

I guess you should re-draw your western continent. In a canon Nerath adventure (canon as it specifically mention it happens in former Nerath territory), is stated that the western continent and the "main" continent are connected by a land bridge.

As for my own version of the PoL world, I usually import stuff from Eberron and the Realms, lol For instance, there is a Cormyr out there southwest to my Nentir Vale and the dragon island continent of Argonessen does exist as well (the last remnant of Arkhosia).

I will be happy to help you with this project.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 13 Feb 2019 17:17:11
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  18:55:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow that Update is pretty great, thank you! I didn't know about the land-bridge but I can certainly connect that to the island chains that can form an archipelago that connects the middle part of the main continent (where I plan to put places like Saltmarsh) to the middle-half of the Western one. It would also easier explain any existence of Elementalists and Wu Jen in Nerath.

And I've read a lot of the Nentir Vale-Wiki, which I understand you had a big hand in making so yes I'd love help and imput!

The western southern continent is practically a blank slate. Aside from a colony of occupying Vyrloka and their vampire masters at the northern tip and maybe a small incursion of Wu Jen earth-elementalists along the eastern shore (a natural west-ward expanse for their people from the Islands) it could really hold anything. My only real concern is filling it with "monstrous races" a la Kalimdor from Warcraft as I feel that might be too similar.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  19:00:58  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There we go, MAP updated!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000