Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Prisons of Faerūn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  20:28:07  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do some of you have informations about specific prisons in Faerūn ?

I'm interested in dark, miserable, but non-utterly-evil facilities in the north-west quadrant of Faerūn (nor south nor east of the Sea of the Fallen Stars). Pre-Spellplague era.

Many thanks

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  21:09:35  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know. Imprisonment seems to be temporary just until punishment is meted out, either torture, death or enslavement/labor.

Long term imprisonment doesn't seem to be a thing.
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  21:57:31  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what it seems to me too. I'm still looking.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  22:13:40  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have access to it right now, but it you can, I recommend you to read "Ed Greenwood presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms". I sure there Ed revealed the legal system of Waterdeep.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  22:14:57  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The wide open road of exile seems more likely than a long term prison...at least for any crime not covered by fines, lashes and such.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  01:30:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've created two prisons of sorts for Impiltur but that's not in the area you want.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  07:11:19  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t know of anything that is specifc to the Realms, but if you happen to have access to Dungeon #36, there is an adventure called « Granite Mountain Prison », which is set in a prison. I have used that one as a prison run by (in various campaigns) the Zhentarim or Zhentilar, Luskan, the High King of the Moonshaes (pre-Tristan Kendrick) orthe Red Wizards.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  09:58:10  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I think about it, the Peninsula District of Neverwinter had originally a prison in the Neverwinter Nights game.

It was destroyed in the game, tho

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 13 Feb 2019 09:59:42
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  10:27:31  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about that. It's on my list. Felt to me the prison was a bit too grand (for gameplay reasons). How much are video games considered canon ? Is there a fleshed-out prison in the Baldur's Gate saga ?

I'm really looking for realmslore, names of prison, etc. I've read the legal system already, thanks.

I don't own any magazines, as I always thought it was general RPG-D&D stuff, but I recently realized it contains realmslore also. But I think a large part was "previewed" in the magazines before being published in hardcover products. Am I missing a mother lode ?

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  10:56:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X
(...) I recommend you to read "Ed Greenwood presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms". I sure there Ed revealed the legal system of Waterdeep.

Waterdeep's legal system is (also?) found in 1e Waterdeep and the North and in the 2e City of Splendors boxed set. And I think there is something about legal systems in the fantastic Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  11:41:20  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir
(...) And I think there is something about legal systems in the fantastic Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms.

That's where I read it. I'm still looking for similar products to that gem, but present publications doesn't even seems related to the Realms, even when the title implies so.

Edited by - Thojan Ralwens on 13 Feb 2019 11:41:46
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  02:35:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Undermountain?

Recently re-watched Man of Steel and it has me contemplating a prison like the "Phantom Zone" for the Lords Alliance/Lords of Waterdeep/insert whoever you choose.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  07:47:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Ralwens,

Here is a link to some of the prisons. I don't think is comprehensive by any means.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Prisons

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Thojan Ralwens

Do some of you have informations about specific prisons in Faerūn ?

I'm interested in dark, miserable, but non-utterly-evil facilities in the north-west quadrant of Faerūn (nor south nor east of the Sea of the Fallen Stars). Pre-Spellplague era.

Many thanks

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Thojan Ralwens
Acolyte

Belgium
30 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  08:28:02  Show Profile Send Thojan Ralwens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you cpthero2. I'm always glad to discover something on the FR wiki.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  21:29:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Ralwens,

You are quite welcome good sir!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Thojan Ralwens

Thank you cpthero2. I'm always glad to discover something on the FR wiki.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000