Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Waterdeep & Halaster & Spelljammers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2018 :  09:19:45  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met!

So, Halaster is back, evidently he's essentially the "Avatar of Undermountain" and it reforms him if he is killed, and he has a Spelljamming Helm, and there is a stardock in Undermountain (I don't have the stardock adventure).

Can I get some details about the stardocks of undermountain and skullport? What does Halaster do with his stardock? What does he do with his spelljamming helm? Does he have a spelljammer?

Looking for canon answers. I could just make stuff up, but I'm curious what the "official" status is before I do any of that.

Thanks guys.

Sweet water & light laughter.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2018 :  09:36:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
go get the old 2e stardock adventure (gods that was 2e right?). It will explain more. Stardock isn't in undermountain. Its in orbit. Its amongst the tears of Selune as an asteroid. Halaster doesn't own stardock, he just has a path to there. Its also where he was held prisoner at one time in the aforementioned adventure.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2018 :  09:43:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved those undermountain adventures. Maddgoths castle was the first time I experimented at making my own stuff, coming up with more variants of the homununculus

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2018 :  16:05:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not gotten that far, reading the new book, but I noticed a squidship parked on one of the levels of Undermountain.

...And that's now something I want to do, if I ever DM a group thru Undermountain: have a fully functional spelljammer (likely a hammership; it's one of my fave hulls) in excellent condition parked in a room not much bigger than it is. And there would be no way to get it out of the room, and no clue about how it got in there.

It's not an "annoy the PCs with an impossible treasure" as much as a "add to the wonder and weirdness of Undermountain with an odd minor mystery" thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2019 :  03:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of why I love Undermountain so much, anything goes, it really is the ultimate dungeon.

I've run it twice, fairly successfully. One of those times the PCs stumbled on a room with knocked out priests and countless of piled up holy symbols of various faiths. The next room contained Shothragot, the elder evil (demi god, tarry black hole the size of a ship). Seems a cult was feeding him priests trying to increase his power and free him from his Undermountain prison.

Undermountain is fun, what would be hard to hide anywhere else, can go unnoticed there.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2019 :  13:58:23  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've not gotten that far, reading the new book, but I noticed a squidship parked on one of the levels of Undermountain.

Seeing how squidship is water-landing, it could arrive via one of sea gates (Skullport's or another), like any groundling ship. In addition to space or planar gates.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2019 :  12:44:22  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Squidship? That sounds fun. Either you got several series helms (4+ jammer helms!) or a pool helm with lots of larvae…
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2019 :  17:51:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

Squidship? That sounds fun. Either you got several series helms (4+ jammer helms!) or a pool helm with lots of larvae…

A squidship is a standard human design, 45 tons. They usually have either a minor or a major helm, per the Adventures in Arcane Space boxed set.

It's only the nautiloids and illithid dreadnoughts that have pool helms.

I was reading the passage in the Undermountain book last night; I don't think it specified if the helm was minor or major, but it was a standard helm.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  21:44:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Indeed it was 2e! I have that stuff, but never ran the Stardock module. I may have to look at that for a 3.5/PF conversion. :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

go get the old 2e stardock adventure (gods that was 2e right?). It will explain more. Stardock isn't in undermountain. Its in orbit. Its amongst the tears of Selune as an asteroid. Halaster doesn't own stardock, he just has a path to there. Its also where he was held prisoner at one time in the aforementioned adventure.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000