Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Five NPCs You Meet In Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  21:51:10  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Alaglautharn of the Lanterns
Short, big-bellied and bald-headed. Hides a shrewd mind behind a jovial demeanor and a light musical laugh. Alaglautharn makes his living through arranging "roundshields" (publicly-traded) seasonal caravans, connecting interested speculators together with enterprising merchants. He is also occasionally willing to sponsor adventuring companies (although the last such, an expedition by the Company of the Bright Wolf into the ruins of Dragonspear Castle, ended disastrously and earned him a visit from the Guard, who warned that some things were better left undisturbed). His name comes from the Lanterns Room, his offices and semi-private meeting rooms (third-floor Street of Silver, south of Palfrey Lane) where a number of middle-tier far-traders gather to make deals or invest coin and Alaglautharn displays his prized collection of ancient and ornate lamps and lanthorns (none of powerful enchantment, although there are a matching pair of elven wall-lamps crafted in a manner that makes the sylph-shaped cutouts appear to dance wildly in the lit flame, and an ornate Calishite grave marker that emits blue-hued light regardless of the type of fuel used within).

Alarathéa
The Old Rose. Lively auburn waist-length hair, long face, down-turned eyes. Foremost apprentice of the former Hidden Lord, Alūvhae Fire-Eyes. Creator of the spells Alarathéa's Fulgurant Announcement (an advanced lightning lash) and Alarathéa's Coruscating Aura (an alternate fire shield). Slew three Red Wizards during a Midsummer Merrymoot being held in the Cynosure, 1366DR.

Alashandaera Orn (N ½EF T3/Exp4)
The owner and stagemaster of "Alashandaera Orn and Her Many Lights," a troupe of entertainers and self-described "acrobats, performance swordplay artists, juggling dwarves, mummers, trained monsters and caged beasts of all sorts." The Lights operate out of a small ramshackle converted warehouse in Trades Ward, but are often found on the road, earning coins in the small communities along the Dessarin.

Alathene Alūvae Moonstar
A noble of House Moonstar [b.1239/d.1299]. Immortalized in song as "The Moon's Maiden Shield." Rode with numerous Selūnite-sponsored adventuring companies in the North before taking control of the House upon the early death of her brother Danos in 1266. Married her companion Tavros Thundershield in 1267 and bore him twin boys, Dalenmal and Delmarys.

Alaurun Sternshield (LN HM F17)
The Hawk of the Hawkwinters. Swordmaster (weapons trainer) and chief recruiter for the highborn clan. A tall, barrel-chested, imposing man with piercing eyes and a bristling moustache. Alaurun's family, natives of Red Larch, have served the Hawkwinters for many generations as belarjacks, cohorts, and the caretakers of Hawkwinter properties in Red Larch itself, but Alaurun's position as Swordmaster is almost never given to those outside the family, and is a sign of his abilities and of the great respect that Lord Eremoes Hawkwinter has for him.

==================================================

Alanzelo Gralhund [ Source: Forging The Realms: The Library <dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/library-code>. Name/Description given ]

Alastel Helmhorn [ Source: Forging The Realms: Outcast House <dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/outcast-house>. Name/Description given ]

Alauvin Ruldegost [ Source: A 03/29/13 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Albrus "Old Knight" Khlendryn [ Source: A 01/19/13 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Albryn Telnhand [ Source: A 09/21/12 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Aldara Maerklos (LG HF W14) [ Source: "Series Magic," Steven Schend, Dragon Magazine #213, p.97-98. Name/Stats/Description given. See also: City of Splendors: Who's Who In Waterdeep, p.7 and 18. ]

Aldegarl Rahritts [ Source: Ed Greenwood's Spin-a-Yarn 2009: Night of the Dread Pudding. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2019 :  22:13:31  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You realize next I’ll ask you for 5 NPCs you meet in Daggerford ...

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

AJA, these are fantastic. Keep them coming! (I'm hoping you put a PDF together with the final roster when you're done.)

Thanks, Eric. I wouldn't have a problem with collecting it into a PDF, I'm just not sure how to organize it (aside from one giant alphabetical eye-tearing scroll). But there's still a ways to go before I'm done, so plenty of time to think about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

I’m already working on that, in a way - I am updating the list of NPCs that AJA used to have on his website (some of which are making reappreances here), in which I also incorporated the NPCs from the list in Volo’s Guide to Waterdeep.

And depending on how far back into the Wayback Machine you went, it'll need plenty of updating . Don't forget to look through the reference NPCs that sometime accompany mine at the bottom of the posts (candlekeep and wizards.com and the rest), there's a lot of good ones there as well.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  01:30:11  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I did a quick ctrl-f on my master list and didn't find much on Daggerford. I rarely venture outside the walls of Waterdeep and when I do it's usually to Amphail and Red Larch and other points northward. And I wouldn't dare try any new ones now, not until I've properly read through and absorbed Illefarn Anew.

But that is where the beauty of Proper Nouns comes in. Excise 'em, alter 'em, replace 'em, suddenly you've got "Daggerford NPCs" and no one the wiser.

In the meantime, the aforementioned ctrl-f;

Hlorvas Hlundammar Haggleroot
(Hlundammar was the name of a close dwarven friend of the family). Gnomish proprietor of The Dusty Shelf of Daggerford ("all manner of folio and chapbook, and most major broadsheets, according to season"). Carries all the latest (as in, only a few months behind) chapbooks and popular plays. Curiously enough, his "swords high!" adventure fare is more complete than most Waterdhavian chapbook-sellers. Or perhaps not so curious, given that he has made a secret secondary career of writing such prose, more specifically as the author of Blacksheaf's True Tales of the North (serialized chapbooks featuring two-fisted tales of wild adventure, daring frontiersmen, bloodthirsty humanoids and savage wilderness with lurid titles such as Quickblade, Far Rider of the Savage Frontier; Black Salt the Sea Reaver; Escape From the Dungeon of Despair; The Wolf-Demon of the Uthgardt; The Ogres of Red Arrow Ridge; Halfling Hlandar Rides Alone; Starhoof, Fastest Steed of the Savage Frontier; In the Dungeons of the Orcs; and Bror Battleswift, Ranger of the Evermoors).

Marsheldra
Short, thin, bright-eyed. Sharply-upturned nose, mousy brown hair. Jovial, lover of revelry, games of chance and witty repartee. Peripatic copper-caster (hedge-mage). Can often be found haunting the caravan grounds of Daggerford, purveying her "Masterful Enchantments" ("of both common weal and thunderous woe. Sensible and sensitive enchantments, delivered with a deft hand") to travellers and caravan hands. Her Charm Against Peril by Fire or Water and Charm Against Furious Beast are the most sought-after. They're little more than minor twinge-and-tickle cantrips, but sometimes a panacea works just as well, right?

The Seven Battle-Bolds
Local adventuring fellowship out of Daggerford. Led by the permanently sun-darkened and perenially trail-dusted warrior Artolphar the Summer-Sharpened. Last seen in Uktar of 1367DR, foraying into the graveolent ruins of Roarsrook, "those haunted halls where footsteps and fortitude falter alike," deep in the muddy, boggy, steep-sided valleys east of the Shimmerstar Stream.

The Zzargoyle
Thirsty-Throat, Ten-Cups, The Jack o'Plenty. Guzzle-Guts. A gargoyle. Hardstone (granite) warts and wings and fangs, and a surprisingly well-kept downdagger moustache. Escaped its' master and its' binding enchantments. Was offered its' first tankard of ale by a scared-witless innkeeper who found it rooting behind the tap one dark night. The Jack regards the tankard houses of Daggerford as its' demense, and free libations as its' due, and becomes belligerent if none are forthcoming. Thirsty. Very very thirsty. Fun at mimic games though.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  01:42:52  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool!

I think they all work except the adventuring company, which is set in 1367 DR, which is easy to adjust. (UIA is kept in the original timeframe of Marpenoth, 1357 DR.)

I like the idea of curious characters who haunt the caravan grounds. Marsheldra is a lot like Hendar the Scarred in that way ... essentially a parasite on commerce.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

I did a quick ctrl-f on my master list and didn't find much on Daggerford. I rarely venture outside the walls of Waterdeep and when I do it's usually to Amphail and Red Larch and other points northward. And I wouldn't dare try any new ones now, not until I've properly read through and absorbed Illefarn Anew.

But that is where the beauty of Proper Nouns comes in. Excise 'em, alter 'em, replace 'em, suddenly you've got "Daggerford NPCs" and no one the wiser.

In the meantime, the aforementioned ctrl-f;

Hlorvas Hlundammar Haggleroot
(Hlundammar was the name of a close dwarven friend of the family). Gnomish proprietor of The Dusty Shelf of Daggerford ("all manner of folio and chapbook, and most major broadsheets, according to season"). Carries all the latest (as in, only a few months behind) chapbooks and popular plays. Curiously enough, his "swords high!" adventure fare is more complete than most Waterdhavian chapbook-sellers. Or perhaps not so curious, given that he has made a secret secondary career of writing such prose, more specifically as the author of Blacksheaf's True Tales of the North (serialized chapbooks featuring two-fisted tales of wild adventure, daring frontiersmen, bloodthirsty humanoids and savage wilderness with lurid titles such as Quickblade, Far Rider of the Savage Frontier; Black Salt the Sea Reaver; Escape From the Dungeon of Despair; The Wolf-Demon of the Uthgardt; The Ogres of Red Arrow Ridge; Halfling Hlandar Rides Alone; Starhoof, Fastest Steed of the Savage Frontier; In the Dungeons of the Orcs; and Bror Battleswift, Ranger of the Evermoors).

Marsheldra
Short, thin, bright-eyed. Sharply-upturned nose, mousy brown hair. Jovial, lover of revelry, games of chance and witty repartee. Peripatic copper-caster (hedge-mage). Can often be found haunting the caravan grounds of Daggerford, purveying her "Masterful Enchantments" ("of both common weal and thunderous woe. Sensible and sensitive enchantments, delivered with a deft hand") to travellers and caravan hands. Her Charm Against Peril by Fire or Water and Charm Against Furious Beast are the most sought-after. They're little more than minor twinge-and-tickle cantrips, but sometimes a panacea works just as well, right?

The Seven Battle-Bolds
Local adventuring fellowship out of Daggerford. Led by the permanently sun-darkened and perenially trail-dusted warrior Artolphar the Summer-Sharpened. Last seen in Uktar of 1367DR, foraying into the graveolent ruins of Roarsrook, "those haunted halls where footsteps and fortitude falter alike," deep in the muddy, boggy, steep-sided valleys east of the Shimmerstar Stream.

The Zzargoyle
Thirsty-Throat, Ten-Cups, The Jack o'Plenty. Guzzle-Guts. A gargoyle. Hardstone (granite) warts and wings and fangs, and a surprisingly well-kept downdagger moustache. Escaped its' master and its' binding enchantments. Was offered its' first tankard of ale by a scared-witless innkeeper who found it rooting behind the tap one dark night. The Jack regards the tankard houses of Daggerford as its' demense, and free libations as its' due, and becomes belligerent if none are forthcoming. Thirsty. Very very thirsty. Fun at mimic games though.

--
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  23:52:57  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Marbraeth (CN HM W12)
Mage of the Six Scarlet Flames. The "house mage" of House Talmost. Hired by the elder Lady Hyara during her life, he now feigns to serve her (and indulge her petty revenge fantasies) in her undeath. In truth he ignores both her and her daughter, the reigning Lady Hyara, and appropriates increasing amounts of the family coffers for his own magical researches. A tall, arrogant man whose bald head and pallid skin are set off by the vibrant, high-collared, sweeping robes he habitually wears. Marbraeth has watery eyes, a long neck, and delicate, slender fingers. A native of Tethyr.

Mardoun "The Gaze" Sevenshields (LN DM F5)
Sellsword recruiter and outfitter, former adventurer and mercinary captain. Often employed as a factor by House Thunderstaff. Gravely injured during skirmishing against troll raiding parties in the High Moor when a troll spear impaled both his right leg and the mount he was riding upon. His near-severed leg and his life were both saved by clerical weal but he now walks only seldom and with great difficulty, preferring to be borne in a carry-chair by four strong retainers. Dark umber hair and beard, hawks-nose, and eyes with more intensity and grip than that of his iron-clad handshake. Polite and perfunct, sizes a person up within moments of meeting them and rarely changes his mind afterwards.

The Maresmaster of Ilabbatan
Ilabbatan is the giant equine bazaar of Shaarmid, where the finest steeds in Faerūn – as well as centaur and wemic slaves, and various bones and ivories – are bought and sold. The Maresmaster himself never leaves the walled confines of Shaarmid, but his agents are active throughout the Western Heartlands seeking mounts of great strength, speed, and beauty (everything from the hardy steeds of the desert raiders of Calimshan to the asperii-blooded stallions bred by House Amcathra of Waterdeep). The current holder of the office is the brusque, barrel-shaped, forkbearded Khemmur Aerkezel.

Marja Maeth
An armar (sergeant) of the Watch in Dock Ward. Currently under the watchful eye of Ward Civilar Talaver, who believes she has great potential if she learns to control her temper. Defiant, contrary, fearless. Hard, raspy voice. Dark hair, heavy-lidded grey eyes.

Marlaetha
Windy Lae. Long-time member of the Guild of Watermen. Master (captain) of the ship-to-shore ferry Bluebold (the "Blue Barrel," to her crew). Named for her talkative, gossipy disposition. Knows under just which wharf a man in a small skiff can pass between stone pilings and through a secret gate, emerging into the fetid, caliginous waters nigh subterranean Skullport.

Marduck Jaesur [ Source: Ed Greenwood's Spin-A-Yarn 2005: The Lady of the Mists. Name/Occupation given ]

Maresta Rhanbuck [ Source: City of Splendors: A Waterdeep Novel. Name/Description given ]

[b]Marleon Krendlemar
[ Source: Waterdeep News: A Sharp Rise in Silversheen <wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wdn/20051214a>. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  11:24:17  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love this one ... :-)

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

The inspiration for gildewhorls came from the Netherlands "tulip mania" of the 1500s (obviously not on quite the same massive scale). Gives the PCs something to do; invest (speculate [lose]) their funds, arrange a voyage to Maztica to bring back bulbs (and negotiate with or anger the locals), be hired to purloin new varities from powerful Waterdhavians (turns out Maaril is a farflower-lover!), etc. Given that, I was going with more of a many-petalled upswept tulip-like cup or bell. But a sunflower type is a good visual, too.

The Black Hands of Beshaba
A small-time group of Trades Ward extortionists, cutpurses, and arsonists. Led by Bherek "Black Hand" Suldolphyn (NE HM T5). Notable Members: The gnome Wellspur (NE GM Exp2), and the half-orc "Blackhammer" Belchargh (CN ½OM War).

"Black" Logan
A feared mercenary captain and ally of Amphail the Just, a War Lord of Waterdeep during the Second Troll War. After the death of Amphail, Black Logan attempted to seize power in the city. His plot was foiled by the mage Ahghairon, and his forces were driven back to the Wolf's Crag, a fortified fastness perched atop a sea stack in the Red Rocks north of the city. Logan and his men remained a threat to the city and to trade along the High Road for some years until he was betrayed by his erstwhile slave girl, the disguised warrioress Laroun. His legacy lives on today in the form of his descendant, the roguish ne'er-do-well Cirre Bydo. Black Logan's weapon, the deadly Red Sword (a broadsword +4, defender), was later wielded by the bandit-lord Thalargh Goblin-Kin and is now in the possession of Rulathon, the Captain of the City Watch. [ Source: Broadly adapted from information given in A 01-29-99 posting to the REALMS-L mailing list by Eric L. Boyd. Name/Description given. Additional detail by me. An official version can be found in the City of Splendors: Waterdeep Web Enhancement <wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060503a>. ]

"Blackhammer" Belchargh (CN ½OM War)
A street thug and member of the Black Hands of Beshaba (a small-time group of Trades Ward extortionists, cutpurses and arsonists). Takes bets on races and duels at the Field of Triumph, and stages back-alley dog fights. His nickname comes from his instrument of choice when dealing with delinquent or outstanding gambling debts.

The Blackshaeryl (CN HF)
Perhaps the most notorious independant pirate currently active in the northern Sea of Swords. "The Blackshaeryl" (real name unknown) can be found striding the decks of her ship, the Rakehell, whipsting in hand and a tiny aquamarine faerie dragon perched on her shoulder. Her targets are most often fat merchant caravels delivering southern silk or northern steel, but she has shown no fear of either Moonshaen naval vessels or Luskar freesails. Commonly believed to be the daughter of "Mad" Morgyn Merentyr, one of the most feared privateers of the early 1300's.

Blaedarun Sarelgost
A recently deceased merchant-mage. In his will he left a large number of tomes, scrolls and objects of art to the bard's college of New Olamn, as well as a generous monentary donation. Before dying in Zazesspur of a wasting disease, he was well-known as a patron of the arts, and was one of the original contributors to the college's construction. A wing of the college has been named in his honor (Sarelgost Hall), and houses his collection.

Blaephul Zzarmmaster
Lithe, slender, hums constantly. Has a great memory for names and faces. Speaker for The Merry Wind-Cries, a somewhat successful troupe of bardic entertainers. The Wind-Cries specialize in elaborate "song-cycles," musical performances with silent acting of scenes in the background (bards sing and play in foreground, occasionally pointing at the actors and commenting on the dramatic scenes from the past or the invented romances that are being acted out, though the actors never speak). Their repertoire ranges from overwrought lovers tragedies such as Upon Yonder Window, The Blue Rose of Darrulthspire and, especially, Bleak at the Gates (depicting the tragic parting of the knight Ammathwine and his maid Enthelara, before Ammathwine passes under the North Gate to die in battle with the orcs of the Black Horde) to lighter (and more salacious) fare such as Ten Maidens Bold, The Gnomish Fishwife, and The Sūnesbright Knight And The Maidens of Manypearls.

Lord Bladderblat [ Source: A 03/18/06 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Blaela Murrowind [ Source: Small Presses of Waterdeep, Part Four <wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20031210a>. Name/Description given]

--
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  23:43:52  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Love this one ... :-)

A big fan of the Merry Wind-Cries, I take it?

Since the REALMS-L list is mostly gone from the interwebs, here is the post referenced in the "Black" Logan entry above, for anyone interested;

quote:
AJA wrote:
> Just what does the "L" in Eric L Boyd's name stand for?

In days of yore, there was a fellow of Clan Logan who served one of the Scottish kings as a close advisor. (I think it was King James VI, but I can't recall off the top of my head.) For reasons forgotten, this illustrious laird drew the ire of his king, and fled to his country
estate, Fast Castle, a spindly spire of land south and east of Edinburgh. Much like the sea stacks north of Waterdeep, this castle rested on a piece of rock some 200 feet tall (with near vertical cliffs) connected with the mainland by a thin wedge of rock some three feet in
width and ten feet in length. Needless to say, Fast Castle was well-nigh impregnable, and the king's men were forced to besiege it for two miserable years.

Things came to a head when "Black Logan", as he had come to be known, died of a heart attack. His loyal men, trapped in this tiny, forlorn fortress, surrendered approximately two seconds later. (One wonders if the heart attack was caused by a sword to the chest, but who knows.) The king, his will thwarted, was a in a towering rage. On the Scottish monarch's orders, the corpse of Black Logan was brought back to Edinburgh for trial, then convicted, and finally, sentenced to death (again?) by hanging, followed by his corpse being drawn and quartered.

This is one of the many illustrious folk for which I am named, for Logan is my mother's maiden name.

:-)

--Eric

PS Yes, this story is entirely true (as best as I can recall), and I have been to Fast Castle. Black Logan has been incorporated into my campaign as a villain dating back to the years when Waterdeep was ruled by War Lords, and the ruins of his castle are found off the High Road, amidst the Red Rocks and Redcliffs north of the City of Splendors.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2019 :  23:51:50  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hlarghur Hoar-Hand
Largely unheralded delver and author of Hlarghur, Lost In The Under-Depths (1347DR), a fanciful and only somewhat-true recollection of an extended delve into the depths of the Undermountain. Noted for its' fevered descriptions of a lost forest realm of terrors deep beneath the city and largely remembered only for its' foreward as follows, which Hlarghur claims was penned by none other than the Lord Blackstaff of Waterdeep; "A dangerous forth-faring beyond the mundane fascinations of the City of Splendors, into the dark and perilous Lands Beneath."

Hlommor "Carrion Crow" (LG ½OM Com1)
A hunchbacked, disfigured half-breed whose tattered attire, shuffling steps, and nervous facial tick led local street urchins to title him "Carrion Crow." A common sight in the back streets of Trade and South Wards, where he makes enough coin from begging and "package running" (delivering cuts of meat or bundles of laundry to private homes and local shops) to feed himself and keep his favored possession, a Silvaeren flute, in good repair. Hlommor is a gentle soul (and a surprisingly good flautist), and is often used as an agent of the Red Sashes.

Hlondabar Caerensmantle (N GM Aris2/Abj12)
The Distinguished Daever, The Mage of Many Ensorcellments. A Castle Ward courtier and hire-spell (specializing in domicile wardings and abjurings). The word daever is an archaic Illefarnan elvish term for members of the gnomish race, coined during the Age of Netheril. He is also often called Hlondabar "Whitemantle," for his habit of dressing in copious amounts of white fabric (broad-brimmed hats, southern-style vests and billowing tunics, and knee-length laced boots), accented with silver and turquoise jewelry. In his younger days he was an accomplished mage-smith and a member of the Splendid Order of Armorers and Finesmiths, and several copies of his chimes of warding and tablums of near-scrying are still in the possession of various noble houses.

Hloramun Hlardath
Proprietor of Hloramun's Helpful Herbalry ("crude drugs and spices and essential oils," Spindle Street, Trades Ward). Thin and pale with deep, unhealthy circles under his eyes. Scanty, streaming white hair. An enthusiastic scholar of plantlife and herblore. His prized possession is a trio of ancient Netherese manuscripts on the subject of herbal lore and the strange compounds and poultices that can be derived from them, written in a script which he cannot quite read. Nonetheless, he parses what he can and happily devours the strangely-illumined pictures, which seem to somehow shimmer and glow with a hundred unknown pigments (pigments which sometimes stick to his overeager fingers and don't seem to rinse off, but he bears these flecks as a secret badge of pride). Tutors of the languages of the ancients are available but do not come cheap, and so his education is slow going while he marshalls his coin. There are of course sages and priests of the nature gods who would happily translate his tomes for the simple opportunity to transcribe them into their own collections, but he hoards his treasure and in the meantime he eagerly awaits the new horizons every handful of words he learns opens to him. And rubs at his flecked fingers, a tic which seems to have entirely escaped his notice thus far, much like the pale, flaking condition of the skin around those shimmering motes, like bone and aged parchment, slowly extending up his forearms.

Hoarnul's Haunting Heads
Commissioned by Lord Hoarnul Agundar, shaped and enchanted by the master mage-sculptor Eanthalas of Memnon, and displayed prominently in the great library of the Agundar Villa. Thirteen marble busts which recite in order the thirteen verses of Laummelor's The Bright Horns of War. The ninth bust, a young ring-haired and bright-eyed woman which narrates the tale of Taranald the Silvaerran, is said to have been modeled directly on Lord Hoarnul's youngest and most favorite daughter. The Heads were unexpectedly animated and levitated (as such things often are) by unknown hands and escaped the confines of the family manse in 1349DR. It is unknown where they went to after that, but crews from the Cellarers' and Plumbers' Guild have claimed to have heard various snippets of their stanzas echoing distantly from the sewers ever since.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2019 :  01:29:44  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Emmartha Emmelrune
Last daughter of the once-promising merchant family of Emmelrune (dealers in a variety of brass fittings, buttons, buckles, candlesticks and hinges). Spent her waning years as a notorious "care-coin," giving the contents of the family coffers out to every down-on-their-luck sailor, threadbare goodwife and wretched beggar who crossed her path. Afflicted with a coughing sickness in her old age and entrusted to the care of her distant cousin, the aspiring necromancer Taurglum. He later set her preserved and costumed corpse out on the front stoop every Trolltide to scare passerby until the Lords and the Watchful Order demanded he stop.

Taurglum the Unpleasant
Last relative (distant cousin) of the once-promising merchant house of Emmelrune. Aspiring Necromancer. Took residence in the city after the death of his ailing cousin Emmartha. Obsessed with building a flesh golem. Sizes up everyone he meets for potential raw materials. When introduced to adventurers or other "high-risk" professions, may inquire about buying the rights to their corpses.

Emmdeladra Spindleshae
Bard, Harper, and rumored incantatrix. Said to have seduced the wizards and princelings of half a hundred realms. Author of the collected memoirs, Vulgar Letters: A Life Well Lived (1300DR). "In all Faerūn I am without kin or coin. Only have I wisdom and memories – memories that are ashes, but royal ashes, jeweled ashes."

Emmelynn Moonstar
A noble of House Moonstar (daughter of Helve and Wylynd / wife of Zoar, deceased). Died 1370DR during childbirth.

Emmer Jundhyl (LG HM F10)
Ward Civilar, North Ward (1365DR - present). An urbane, witty, and surprisingly sophisticated swordsman, Emmer is well-known to many of the city's younger nobles. He replaced the previous Ward Civilar, Ryn Sulbrinter, after the latter was accused of embezzelling watch funds and of using his position to ruin various political enemies. Some whisper that the charges were false, trumped up by Jhundyl's influential friends, who include the noble bard Danilo Thann and the socialite Regnet Amcathra. He has quickly become known as the "Lion of North Ward," due to his booming, jovial voice, swiftly-expanding waistline, and general newfound swagger. Many of his detractors predict that Emmer, flush with power and authority, will travel down the same paths as Sulbrinter and Sea Ward Civilar Aluanen, ere long. [ Source: City of Splendors - Who's Who In Waterdeep, p.9. Name/Occupation Given. Additional detail by me. ]

Emmergrim (LN HM F9)
Aundar (captain) of the Temple Guard of the Queenspires. Formerly a sellsword and follower of no particular deity, he gained his faith one day when the caravel he was riding in was swamped by a rogue wave. All aboard were lost to the depths except for Emmergrim, who found himself borne to shore and safety by a swift-moving current he describes as "the caress of the goddess herself." Believing himself succored by Umberlee, he travelled to her nearest temple and volunteered his eternal services in repayment. He and his men remain quartered at the Ulbrinter villa until the Bitch Queen's temple-complex is completed, where he chafes under the constant condescension of the Vigilant Hand, Mhurgos Zel.
    Emmergrim wears the Bluefin of Rivenshael, the blueshined greathelm-and-scaled-mantle (+2 defense; waterbreathing at will; acts as a ring of free action while wearer is wholly or partially [at least 50%] submerged; obscurement 2x/day; summons a Hand of Istishia [Bigby's Interposing Hand] 2x/day) once consecrated to Istishia the blue goddess of the waters, and corrupted by the divine malevolence of Umberlee (other enchantments were originally present, but were lost after the Bitch Queen made the Bluefin her own; whether gone irrevocably or merely slumbering unactivated is unknown).

Emmer Halarkenbrand [ Source: Forging the Realms: A Statuesque Affair <dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/statuesque-affair>. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2019 :  01:16:04  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Benfhrūne (N HM Sor)
A back-street Trades Ward lackspell. Unfriendly, has a painfully sharp tongue. Does a brisk business with thieves and cutpurses, enchanting their blades to slide unsheathed (a process he calls "whispersteel") without a sound.

Bentan "Bold-Sail" Abardoun (LG HM Exp)
Captain of the Venturesome, a caravel of the Moonstar fleet. He takes his appellation from the oft-quoted maritime saying, "boldly facing the unknown requires neither spell nor steel, just a sailor and a stiff wind." One of the few Waterdhavian ship captains to have successfully competed the Long Sail (the route from Faerūn to the New Lands of Maztica) more than once.

Berrothea Forgequench
Retired dwarven sellsword and adventuress. Well-shaved and well-perfumed. Has quite the slim waistline for a dwarf, a feat uncomfortably aided by her habitual severe corsettes. Affects sibilant notes in her speech, no easy task given the thick dwarven tongue. Publisher of the broadsheet Treasure Type V, a favorite of local adventuring bravos and deep-delvers.

Berthūnae the Bold
Dwarven sellsword. Round, scarred and pocked face, large golden eyes under heavy black brows. Sported lush, many-beaded muttonchops until her facial spell-scarring. Wears her hair in a large black braid. Fights with axe and shield. Does not like southerners.

Besper the Godshand
Moderately well-known worker-of-Art, resides primarily in Silverymoon. Rightful owner of The Greatbook of Besper, only known written source of the spells Besper's Fortuitous Betidings and Besper's Marvellous Deputation. This tome of spells was last seen during Fleetswake of 1348DR, being carried down into the sewers by the thief that stole it. That thief, one Baerkhal "Seven-Fingered," was later found to have been torn apart by something with an inordinate amount of teeth. Of the stolen grimoire, nothing is recorded of it since. Bespers' reward offer for its' safe return (in gold, enchantments or cast spells) still stands.

Bertolan, Dunther, & Haroond [ Source: Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms, p.122. Name/Occupation given ]

Beryghon [ Source: City of Splendors - Campaign Guide, p.98. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2019 :  02:09:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

On Tolandor, I'd make Uthlaur (The Red Sword have some ties to the red knight as a defender. Personally, I'd also decrease the bonus to +2 and make it a weapon that's flaming and bane (giants). the bane ability would make it +4 against giants for the defender aspect. It could also be interesting if it were an intelligent weapon with a hatred of giants.

The Red Sword has been consistently mentioned in most every Waterdeep supplement starting with FR1 as a standard sword +4, defender (pre-4E at least, I don't know about after). I decided at one point to fill in previous owners, as seen in the entries for Tolandor and "Black" Logan. I'd love to see what additional lore Ed has on it. Someone with the Twitter should ask him.

More to your point, there is no reason it couldn't have additional powers. They may just be lying dormant, waiting for someone other than Rulathon to wield it.

quote:

Yengurl the man may have returned home bearing the child born of Yengurl the woman, who was impregnated by the power of the sun.

I'm pretty sure this was the plot to at least one X-Men comic in the Nineties

quote:

It would be interesting if there were a way to make all of the above variations true somehow (i.e. the first mate returned home... maybe Yengurl the woman marries him... maybe the ship flew up a celestial stairway to the heavens, etc...). For instance, maybe Urlast the brave is the male half of Yengurl and he returned home to marry Tolumbar's daughter and produced the line that eventually produces the Ruathym thane Orbraul. Maybe the female half of Yengurl became either became the deva or birthed the deva. Meanwhile, maybe Tolumar's sword was in fact the flaming sword of the sun god, who had possessed the form of Urlast the brave to come and claim Tolumbar's daughter (envisioning Frey here). Or maybe even Tolumar's sword is Uthlaur above.

Could depend on how many gods you feel the Ruathym worship. Each church claims "ownership" of the myth, with each one preaching a different resolution to the tale?

It also could be that all endings are true because they all happened at different times and different voyages. As the entry notes, the commonly accepted version of Tolumar and his travels were compiled a long time ago from many different sources. Perhaps Yengurl and Urlast and the rest were all captains of their own ships on their own voyages, or perhaps these stories come from even further back, from before the Ruathym migrated to and settled the island.

Hmm, I didn't realize the sword was from previous sources. Makes it more of interest to me. Maybe I'll look into it.

On the making them all true... yeah, a possible mixup between captains would be a good way to make them all true. Given my interests with the Metahel, I'm very interested in turning this into something, but I'm not sure what.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2019 :  02:18:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
The Zzargoyle

I love this one, especially the part about "fun at mimic games". Makes me think it would be interesting to have some "monster" who loves to play bar trivia, is in a dart/dagger/throwing axe league, loves to play "drawing" games similar to win, lose, or draw, all at the local bar. How would enhancements like magic change some of those things? For instance, might there be a variation of drawing games that is instead "illusion" games... someone says a word and people have to come up with the "best illusion" for their team to say what it is, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2019 :  02:23:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
The Zzargoyle

I love this one, especially the part about "fun at mimic games". Makes me think it would be interesting to have some "monster" who loves to play bar trivia, is in a dart/dagger/throwing axe league, loves to play "drawing" games similar to win, lose, or draw, all at the local bar. How would enhancements like magic change some of those things? For instance, might there be a variation of drawing games that is instead "illusion" games... someone says a word and people have to come up with the "best illusion" for their team to say what it is, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2019 :  02:40:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
Bentan "Bold-Sail" Abardoun (LG HM Exp)
Captain of the Venturesome, a caravel of the Moonstar fleet. He takes his appellation from the oft-quoted maritime saying, "boldly facing the unknown requires neither spell nor steel, just a sailor and a stiff wind." One of the few Waterdhavian ship captains to have successfully competed the Long Sail (the route from Faerūn to the New Lands of Maztica) more than once.

Rumored to have disappeared during the Spellplague, a man going by the same name has recently reappeared in Waterdeep. His ship, "The Venturemore", was said to have strange giant turtle shells that sizzled with electrical like sparks on its hull, but standard rigging otherwise. His crew was filled with strange leopard-spotted cat folk, pale lavender skinned elves with "glowing" tattoos, many humans resembling "northmen", and dozens of tiny squirrel like humanoids inhabiting his rigging. After staying several days in dock, his ship was said to leave the city under sail, but then rumors returned that once out of sight of the city the ship rose into the air and took off for the sky only to have a portal open in front of it and then it sailed through.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 18 Feb 2019 02:41:30
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  02:37:35  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It would be interesting if there were a way to make all of the above variations true somehow

When the elves brought Evermeet to Faerūn, their high magic tore not only the land, but the energies of the Weave and the Planes as well. These disruptions coalesced into what is called The Tongues of the Tides. Great towering waves hurled up from the catastrophic changes, full of the wild energies of Weave and Faerie, reaching through all the various layers of the cosmos.

The reason Tolumar never returned is because he is still there, in that moment in that attempt. And the reason why some of his crew came back, some multiple times, is because Yengurl made it through – or was somehow allowed through – and her passage through the waters caused ripples in the multiverse which spawned multiple versions, versions of what is, versions of what was. Versions of what could be.

The reason the gods don't speak of this could be because they don't want mortals to know, or could be they don't say because they themselves don't know. Perhaps the swirling energies of the Tongues cause a giant, unknowable blank spot for them, or perhaps the elven pantheon deliberately barred knowledge of it, to prevent quelling the waves and ripping Evermeet back into Faerie. In the latter case, maybe one of the Faerūnian deities (probably Lathander, given his place in the original text) somehow found a way to empower Yengurl through to the other side, in hope of revealing what lay beyond.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  02:45:14  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Uraea Blackboast
The Fervid Vermillion Flame, digladiator of Cyric. Little, dark, wizened. Verbose and vehement. Flame-red hair that most agree is bought and maintained through the regular services of a copper-caster. Has the burning eyes of a zealot.

Urghrel Murmandaur (LE HM SP of Bane)
The Minacious Fist of Bane. Native of Thentia. Found a way to re-position an ancient, hidden portal in his rented Castle Ward chambers, opening the other side directly into The Embrace of the Goddess, the nacreous cloud of energy, bright and pungent, that pulses above the innermost altar of the House of Beauty. He has begun testing ways to shape and use those deific energies to power his own dark rituals. His slow and deliberate efforts have thus far avoided the notice of the resident Sunites, who would be most displeased in they found out. It should be noted that the positive energies Urghrel is attempting to control are considerable, and his attempts to twist them towards dark and ineffable ends could easily (and spectacularly) go awry, resulting in deleterious effects to a large portion of the surrounding Ward.

Urglet "Sneak-Blade" (LE OM F3/T4)
An orcish sneak-thief and assassin. Well-known in the deep ways of Undermountain. Wears a ceremonial eyepatch and fancies the use of the drowish handbow. Along with his companions Shargaz and Mukluk, one of the three Black Hands of Gruumsh.

Urtug and Urunc
Orc agents of the mage Randulaith, used in his independent Skullport intrigues. Urtug is squat, somewhat hunchbacked and sports nasty facial scarring (later revealed to be self-inflicted). A vicious, bloodthirsty fighter. Urunc was heavily muscled and had unusual green eyes, leading to his perjorative (for orcs) epithet of "Elfblood." He also had some sort of innate ability to decipher magical runes and writing (and in the case of explosive runes, keep them from activating). He desired to have Randulaith teach him the Art, but the mage only had use for him as an easily expendable factor. Urunc met his end at the hands of an irate drow warband in The Glufrin's Den in Skullport. Urtug took the opportunity to switch allegiances to the Loviatan merchant Hlethvagi, where he nurses a blood grudge for the death of his green-eyed companion.

Urūghan Kos (LE HobM F/P of Nomog-Geaya)
Known to most in the deep ways of Undermountain and Skullport as a dealer in "demonic treasures" (Abyssal trade goods and the body parts and bodily fluids of such planar inhabitants. Such rare and exotic – not to mention often illicit – items are highly valued by jaded nobles and arcane spellcasters alike). Known to the powerful as a player (and manipulator) in the great shadow intrigues of the Underworlds, and as a prime factor of the hobgoblin god Nomog-Geaya. Bears proudly the name of his famed ancestor, Urūghan Malrūk, the Great Desolator of Anauria (as excerpted from Duskrel's Salt and Desolation: The Legacy of The Second Burning Horde: "Summoning his chieftans to him, Urūghan then ploughed the earth of the dead city with his still-bloody sword, ranging through the dying fires and dying screams, chanting in profane and ineffable ritual to summon the dark energies of his god and raise up all of the slaughtered before him as shambling undead minions, bound now and forever to his war banners").

Enjoys imbibing the liquors of all races, especially those that are fiery or licorice-flavored, and has an impressive tolerance for them. Considers the brains of intelligent species a great delicacy (lightly poached, sauteed with tombworms and Calishite black cumin, or left buried to ferment for a tenday) and dines with mind-flayers, though only on the grey matter of those that he has bested in personal combat. He was once cursed by Maglubiyet himself for overstepping the limits of Nomog-Geaya's deific mandate; cancerous worms now ceaselessly gnaw through his gut and intestines; the same deific weal that succors him against enemies preserves his life, but he remains in constant agony. The strong spirits he is so fond of help to quell some of the pain, and he carries and constantly eats from a pouch of spotted mauve vraulauke mushrooms, to intensify the nerve-numbing. His few illithid dining companions and Shradin the Necromancer are the only ones who know of this doom and addiction, most others just think it a curious affectation.

When assaulted by spell or steel his entire body becomes alit with a pale green shimmer and his eyes blaze brightly, the result of protective enchantments placed upon him by his dark god (these energies have been known to heal Urūghan, to the point of knitting back together broken bones and even slowly regenerating missing limbs. In addition, it purges his body of poisons and confers upon him some sort of limited battle rage). Bears (and has bent to his will) the cursed, intelligent Talfir sword Shalrengu "Suffering of the Wretched," flame-tipped and avid.

Uursk Redbeard (CN HM Bar2/War3)
A towering Uthgardt barbarian of flame-red hair and unkempt beard, and unpredictable temper. Uursk sailed with the crew of the Dreaming Sun for the Far Lands of Anchorome, but was killed by the vampiric sirenes of the Mistylmere Rocks.

Usmro Blackasyre [ Source: A 06/25/06 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  03:32:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
It would be interesting if there were a way to make all of the above variations true somehow

When the elves brought Evermeet to Faerūn, their high magic tore not only the land, but the energies of the Weave and the Planes as well. These disruptions coalesced into what is called The Tongues of the Tides. Great towering waves hurled up from the catastrophic changes, full of the wild energies of Weave and Faerie, reaching through all the various layers of the cosmos.

The reason Tolumar never returned is because he is still there, in that moment in that attempt. And the reason why some of his crew came back, some multiple times, is because Yengurl made it through – or was somehow allowed through – and her passage through the waters caused ripples in the multiverse which spawned multiple versions, versions of what is, versions of what was. Versions of what could be.

The reason the gods don't speak of this could be because they don't want mortals to know, or could be they don't say because they themselves don't know. Perhaps the swirling energies of the Tongues cause a giant, unknowable blank spot for them, or perhaps the elven pantheon deliberately barred knowledge of it, to prevent quelling the waves and ripping Evermeet back into Faerie. In the latter case, maybe one of the Faerūnian deities (probably Lathander, given his place in the original text) somehow found a way to empower Yengurl through to the other side, in hope of revealing what lay beyond.

Worth pondering something like that. Especially with things like "crystal suns" dying in earlier sunderings. Brings that concept of soaring into the heavens from one of the entries into a different light.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 19 Feb 2019 03:33:39
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2019 :  00:16:54  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Osco Padfoot
Hin publisher of The Realms One Hears, a broadsheet consisting solely of conversational travelogues obtained from down-in-their-cups sailors, drovers, merchantmen and adventurous sorts. It is unsurprisingly full of fancies, embellishments, exaggerations and outright lies, and curiously heavy on nubile outlander lasses, palaces of gold and "jools," and endless legions of menacing creatures. Quite popular with the working classes who rarely leave the confines of the city walls.

Osk Blackalblade (CN HM Exp8/P6 of Tempus)
The Tenatherian (Elder Battlepoet) of the House of Heroes. Tall and broad-shouldered, with a weathered face and watery blue eyes. Has amazing luck with dice. Quick to anger, but has a good heart and a fine sense of humor. He also has a deep, rich singing voice, and is perhaps the greatest living authority on the battlefield songs, war chants, and soldier's hymns of Faerūn. Uses a sturdy iron-shod oakstaff to move about, but is still surprisingly graceful in combat.

Osznar the Axe
Apprenticed to a blacksmith in his youth. Was lifting a heavy weight in the foundry when something gave way in his back (STR7). Now hires himself out as street muscle or torch-bearer. Named for his sharp, overlarge nose, not weapon-of-choice. Broad-shouldered, slightly hunched back. Diligent, dull, honest.

Othgrim and Dulgrim
Tethyrian wine merchants. Othgrim is short, portly and cheerful, while Dulfrim is slender, intelligent and ingratiating. Maintain offices and tasting parlor third-floor, south-side Gem Street, Castle Ward. Only sell wines from the Maubelos Vineyards of eastern Tethyr (both are married to Maubelos daughters). Insist that the secret superiority of their vintages is that they use only elven maidens to crush the grapes (and only sun elves for the reds and moon elves for the whites, at that). "Fey are the feet, favored are the grapes." Given patronage (and interest among the nobility) by House Majarra.

Oxus Barlanth
The Master Juggler of the Saucepans. Famed "hearthmaster" (hire-chef). Rose from penniless obscurity to city-wide fame after serving a wayward party of Hawkwinter nobles at his little Dock Ward stall one night. Greatly impressed with his fish and oyster sauce, the Hawkwinters hired him to cook for their balls that season and made him in great demand among highborn circles. Wrote a tell-all cookbook, Ladles and Ladies: The Enchantments and Enticements of Cookery, which caused a number of scandals in certain circles. A follow-up effort, Eggs and Deviltry, was never completed as he was later found murdered, with his vitals stuffed down his throat (an untimely demise believed to have been done by either a patron incensed at his gossip, or one enraged at his various seductions).

Oth Eltorchul [ Source: The novel The Dream Spheres. Name/Description given ]

The Owldrake Club [ Source: "Clubland in Waterdeep," Ed Greenwood, <realms.theedgreenwoodgroup.com/clubland-in-waterdeep/>. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2019 :  17:12:44  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ilbara
The Zephyrine Caress. Local Castle Ward table-dancer and festhall girl.

Ilbrost Mythyl (NG HM Enc9)
First Seeker, The Old Staff. Portly, cantankerous, balding. Ilbrost is second in rank at the Mystran House of Wonder. His nickname of "Old Staff" comes with the office and its' symbol of authority, The Starry Staff of Pharra. The office of First Seeker used to be responsible for personally searching out magic in the deepest delves and darkest ruins, and so was awarded to the most hardy and adventurous of Mystran supplicants but over time (and many deaths and a growing desire of office holders to prolong their personal life expectancies) it devolved into a more ceremonial position. Ilbrost now grants title and agency ("Second Seeker," "Seeker of Swords," etc.) to faithful who devote themselves to finding and uncovering lost stores of ancient magic (and returning them to the church). [ Source: City of Splendors - Who's Who In Waterdeep, p.61. Name/Stats given. Additional detail by me. ]

Ildrae "Fairflanks"
A harpist and a Harper of the North. Born Ildrae Roaringhorn, of Waterdeep. Lives on today, her voice and her looks only somewhat diminished by age, in Berdusk, at Twilight Hall. Author of Dim Notes From A Harp (1338DR). "Men never know what they can do till they try; the wonder of the Gods only complicates things."

Ildraea Mursklath
Resigned her position as Accomplished Master of Transmutations of the Watchful Order and travelled north to the High Forest, to study the art of shaping living wood with the elves there. Author of Commentaries on the Art (1348DR). "Mastery of the Art is not a race, nor is it a destination. It is a never-ending journey."

Ilgathos
Ill-Met Ilgathos. The Dimber-Damber of Dock Ward. The Xanathars' Dock Ward "Collector of Coins." Took over for Buldath of the Coppers and assimilated his southern Dock Ward responsibilities after the latter was killed in 1372. Grossly overweight. His forehead and the crown of his shaved pate have an astonishing amount of deep crags and wrinkles. Called "Nosebag" (out of his hearing) due to his incessant appetite and constant snacking (like a horse, head down in its feedbag). "Dimber-Damber" is sailor (sea-reaver, really) slang for "big-man" or "fancy-man." It comes from the Tashlutan dimma dalemba, meaning "the one in charge" or someone with significant coinage (spending money, not hoarded wealth). Attended by the assassin Sulavryne (actually an other-form of the Unseen doppleganger Ulvaaghryn) and the footpad Maleghba (the senior member of the Cold-Bones thieving fellowship).

Ildevvur Murmrask [ Source: A 01/02/14 Post to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Occupation given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2019 :  23:52:31  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sundar Coppershield (LN DM F)
A noted tracker and woodsman. Sundar is "Second Shield" (lieutenant) of the Blackfalcon Raiders mercinary company. At home in the hidden ravines and isolated dells of the Northlands. He is learned in herblore and often spends his spare time searching for small, one-man veins of precious ore to mine. He is close friends with the gnomish sisters Ulene and Centa Mosstone, and often brings gifts of rare herbs and plants to their home, a cluttered warren in a vale south of Everlund.

Sūnedra of the Star Wardings (LG HF Abj)
A North Ward hire-spell of some renown in the city. Famed for her protective wards, glyphs, and sigils. Her castings always incorporate her personal mage-sigil, a right-facing spray of five pinwheeling stars (hence her nickname). Usually accompanied by her familiar, a cat of long black hair named Matha.

The Sūnesbright Knight
A fictional paladin, popular in folklore across the Western Heartlands and Cormyr. Widespread in bardic songs and shadowplay or "oldboots" (puppet or shadowbox) shows and, more recently, in serialized chapbook form. Such chapbook titles always follow the same naming convention of The Sūnesbright Knight and... (The Storm Lord's Daughter, The Shaliera of Dreams, The Maidens of Manypearls, etc).
      The titular hero has no name, he is simply The Knight (later "Lord of Brightwater," a shining castle in the wilderlands), shining and virtuous, favored of the goddess Sune. He always fights for love, either his own or for ill-fated or wronged lovers. His tales are simplistic "romantic adventure" fare, with the gallant and forthright Knight pitted against an array of evil sorcerers, menacing cultists, vile slavers and wicked stepmothers (or aunts or uncles). He travels alone, although in later stories he is married to the frost maid Tala and is allied to her father, the Storm Lord of the Thundering Mountain (who is kind and wise, yet surprisingly short-tempered and bumbling). These stories appeal to those seeking courtly love and simple "good triumphs over evil" narratives instead of the full-throated adventuring of Helm Fullsails or the eerie, horror-and-strangeness of Jūlf Evenrune (to name two other popular fictional legends).

Surbryn Bent-Back
The former "Master of Masonry" of the Guild of Stonecutters, Masons, Potters & Tile-Makers. Met his doom during the High Road War. It has since been rumored that the Master of Stonecutters, Buirholdan Skordar, arranged to have Surbryn killed in the fighting to remove a rival for control of the guild.

The Swords of Sunset (The Sunset Swords)
Lathanderite holy order. Paladins and slayers of the undead. Take their name from the ancient lay of Netheril which reads, in part; "For all the swords of sunset / Held aloft in Holy flame / Forbid the seas of Shadow / For as long as they must." Their order is ancient but small, with no more than two dozen Swords currently extant across the North. Their symbol is the Sunset Sword (an upright double-edged blade wholly limned by a halo of golden flames); their oath is the words detailed above. Grandmaster of the Order: the legendary paladin Hlantaera Foebane, wearer of The Golden Greaves of Agbrimmor (seven-league boots) and wielder of The Star-Souled Blade ("a length harsh and hueless").

The Sunsaddles [ Source: A 09/21/05 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Surakh Valandros Thornyn Raventree (LG HM [Tethyrian] Aris6/F3) [ Source: Two 01/21/13 postings to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description/Stats given ]

Swordhilt [ Source: "Elminster's Everwinking Eye: Clandestine Company," Ed Greenwood, Polyhedron Magazine #95, p.5. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  01:00:15  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Tharkelo
An ambitious and unscrupulous merchant, formerly a factor of House Ruldegost. Made a handsome profit in the days after the Battle of Waterdeep Harbor, collecting and selling the slick, opalescent sand of the West Beach, fused into glass by the terrible arcane spells of the city's wizardly defenders. He claimed every piece to be the result of battle magics cast by mighty and notable archmages such as the Blackstaff, Lady Laeral, the Dragonmage and Maskar Wands, even though by most accounts the majority of spells that day were hurled by Watchful Order rank-and-file and small-spell apprentices. His supply of "spellsheen glass" ended as quickly as did his profits, lost to the charms of festhall girls and games of chance. Last seen boarding a caravel to the southlands ahead of a trail of eager thieves and angry debt collectors.

Tharmon Tasseltar
A local arms-tutor (Tasseltar's Twin Points, "skills taught in the delicate arts of dueling and dexterity"). Stout, dark-bearded, hawk-eyed. A great liver-colored birthmark covers half his face. In addition to the basics of swordplay and sparring, he focuses on the two-weapon fighting style (can teach the proficiency of the same name, and advanced students do not recieve the typical -2 penalty to their secondary weapon attacks). Given that a dual blades style lends itself so well to flash and glitzy theatricals the bulk of his coin comes from moneyed dilettantes who are merely taught enough to impress the local maids and tavern lasses with twirling and flashing steel, and not actual competence.

Thaulmog the Many-Whorled (of the Sevenscore Knots)
Formerly a vast and unyielding servant of Silvanus. Felled in combat with the warlord Raulor and his compatriots as the former led the opening of the Kryptgarden wood to Waterdhavian axes. The great staff of power that Lord Arbelas Snome oversaw the enchanting of was formed from an ancient and weatherbeaten fragment of Thaulmog's huge oaken corpse, and the dark and rich wood panels of the now-vanished House Var (Oakenpillars, lost to what is now eastern Trades Ward) were said to have been hewn from his mighty remains as well.

Thazrae "Swordswift" Embelderynn
An agent of Those Who Harp and bond-sister of Tcharess Brandeth. Accompanied the Knights Errant to the pocket-plane of Neverwhen, where she escaped being betrothed to the "Moon-Mad Lord" Alhaevhas Never and reigned for a time as the Queen of Revels. Slain in a tragic accident at the 1368DR Midsummer Games, in the Field of Triumph, in front of her paramour, the Tymorite priest Jorynn Halstaff.

Theavhos Darkhammer
An early warlord of Nimoar's Hold. Commanded three ships and a number of loyal swords-of-fortune. Wielded the fell (and, some say, intelligent) greataxe, Bitterblack. He and most of his armsmen met their doom at the Battle of Belting Woods in northern Alaron.

Thasilier [ Source: The novel The Dream Spheres. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 27 Feb 2019 01:02:10
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  01:10:24  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Five Sights (Ten, If Tymora Smiles Upon You) You See Caravanning Through the Sword Mountains
"For fifteen hundred miles one may trace this ghastly caravan route by these scattered remains of those who had fallen by the wayside."
      A Study In Scarlet, Arthur Conan Doyle

The Stony Wash
Swift flowing, carries rock and stone out of the mountains; there are still rumors that one or more of the boulders lining its' way are actually spell-disguised chests of gold and jools, hastily hidden by those who never came back for them.

Stillsands Run
Mixed sand-n-stone beach where the Stony Wash encounters the sea; was once a beaching home for giant sea turtles until they were all hunted by men and orc (local orc chieftains still title themselves "Great Calipash," in remembrance of their priviledged dinner morsels).

Klord's Mar
An expired silver lode (a "mar") in the Sword Mountains. Now home to something that shines just as bright, but burns twice as hot. Also, a few old madbeards have claimed that the silver there is re-growing, but no one really believes that.

The Brightleg
A swift, clear mountain rill, runs through Summersnow Vale down to Burnished Bay.

Summersnow Vale
Steep-sided valley open to the sea-winds; full of dandelions and mennilions ("lion's mane"; dandelions the size of sunflowers) whose seedlings catch the wind and fill the air like a faux snowfall.

Burnished Bay
Extremely shallow, sheltered bay; the setting sun glinting on the rocky sea-bed here looks like a giant suit of scale-mail; local legends of a titan or storm giant lord lying in state in the bay here; possibly the burial place of the Storm Lord of the Thundering Mountain, companion to the Sūnesbright Knight.

Sunset-Eye
Low mountain vale pierced by a narrow seaward cleft where the glow of the setting sun seems to hang, foundering, caught in a stony vise, for an unnaturally-long span of breaths.

Nodding Ash
Gnomish way-haven at Sunset-Eye; an outpost of Ulversdeeping; mastered by the silver-eyed twins Ilhond and Ilhornd; will trade provisions with passing humans but will not take non-gnomish boarders; local rumor claims the gnomes are responsible for the unnatural "hanging" of the sun here, using their fey enchantments and puissant alchemy to snare the sun and suck it down into the underdepths for the delight of their under-king; or, more foully, as a princely gift for their allies, the dread dark elves.

Mutter-and-Thud
Fortified way-house; mean, shabby, spare; shares its name with the master of the house, Sammras "Mutter-and-Thud"; foul, ill-tempered, never seems to sleep, spending all night loudly stomping across the house, both inside and out; for all his faults, he is a fierce and great foe of the goblin hordes, and has ably defended his domain for near four decades now.

The Goblin Firs
A steep-sided dell thick with firs and pine needles. Warbands of the various goblinoid races are a common menace here, ambushing caravans and wanderers from the cover of the trees. The Lords and various independant costers have repeatedly sent men to burn the firs and deny the goblinkin their cover, but the trees here seem to regrow rapidly for some unknown reason.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  01:15:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

AJA, these are fantastic. Keep them coming! (I'm hoping you put a PDF together with the final roster when you're done.)

--Eric

Yes, they are fantastic. I'm doing my own compilation as he goes!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  01:21:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and to be a pain, you love spelling "mercenary" as "mercinary". Just thought I'd point it out.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  02:36:23  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why....so I do. Oh dear. 82 times on my master list alone.

CTRL-F+R'ed, but we'll have to see how long it takes me to break that habit (true story, I was at least nineteen before I stopped spelling "proprietor" as "propetier" ).

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2019 :  00:08:36  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maejaha
Proprietor of Maejaha's Enchanted Carriage of Wonders ("Glimpses through magic casements of The Realms Afar as seen by traveller both brave and noble"), Burnt Wagon Way, Trades Ward. For a couple copper passerby sit in a suspended horse carriage; the floor rocks, and a man turns the handle on a clever device to make the sound of wheels and the clips and clops of hooves while a painted panorama of the viewer's choice whirls on spindels past the faux carriage window. Has the desert oasis of Calimshan, the mountains and waterfalls of the High Forest, the forest glade of Cormyr and the vineyard of Tethyr as backgrounds, with plans for more. Also offers night-trips for lovers, dimly-lit double-length "tours" while a hired bardling softly sings outside the compartment.

Maeremreen "Merry" Highmoss (LG GF Ra2/P14 of Garl Glittergold)
Laughingstaff, Twinkle-Eyes. A native of the gnomish settlement of High Ulver. A member of Those Who Harp and frequent sight about the Shrines of Nature. When in the city, Maeremreen favors ornate braids in her hair and an overlarge, floppy sunhat decorated with all manner of feathers, bells, and carved wooden trinkets. She is never without her walking staff, the highly-decorated length of wood from which she takes one of her secondary sobriquets (an intelligent staff of the woodlands +3 of various powers, which holds the bonded souls of the Fey Sisters of Aulveswode, a trio of impish gnomish druidesses).

Maerlamanta
Master of the Undrowned Depths, the constantly seeping, green-slimed passageways furthest under the Queenspires, where the dank sea-smell is overwhelming and the walls bow with the pressure of the ceaseless tides. Maerlamanta acts as an envoy to the sahaugin and other sea-dwellers who arrive at the temple via the submerged tunnels, and is also marshal of the Beloved, a cadre of drowned ones (sea zombies) granted by the Bitch Queen and housed in the Depths.

Maeromé Olorasko
Holds the office of Master of Tables of the Watchful Order. As banal as it may sound, seating accommodations during Order revels and spell-moots are a serious business, and rank among the top causes of spellduels and fervid rivalries amongst the members. Maeromé keeps a constantly-updated tally of who must not be seated next to whom, which members the Accomplished Masters quietly want paired to further their patronage, and those mages of off-putting manner or socially-upsetting physical appearance who are best seated seperately to the back of the hall. Also, many elder members have preferred vantage points at these gatherings, and are traditionally obliged by having their favored seating reserved. Confers in her duties with the Accomplished Master of Conjurations Hambro Blackweave (in charge of planning and putting together the Guild's Revels Arcane), and Milist Ulpharsin (the foremost organizer for the mage-revels held at the Tower).

Maeroth Semmersword (CG ½EM F9/divine champion5 of Sune)
Sune's Blessčd Hand, The Blood-Ready Heart. Maeroth holds the offices of First Shield (commander of the temple guard) and Blessed Hand of the Ruby Rose (Knight-Champion of the goddess). He is the fierce rival of the Lathanderite champion Belterym Vhost, as both frequently vie for the title of most handsome knight in the city. Fights with a massive dwarven warhammer, the glowing Sunsbright.

Maereska Thongolir [ Source: A 01/06/15 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Maerik Thaelcloak [ Source: "The New Adventures of Volo: The Ardeep," Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #279, p.93. Name/Description given ]

Maerjanthra Shalace [ Source: The novel Elminster's Daughter and A 06/23/15 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 09 Apr 2019 03:00:39
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2019 :  01:59:47  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Scarlet-Spangled Moonstar
The Grim Grey Guardian, The Scarlet Glance. Phantasmal apparition or undead spectre, Dock and South Wards. It appears as a largely insubstantial mass of silver with a cloud or spots of brilliant scarlet color, ringed by a fine mist of minute scarlet motes. In 1248DR, Lord Andegul of House Moonstar ordered built a grave marker of silver and magic for his deceased wife, Bellandra Maernos. The device shone atop her crypt in the City of the Dead for four years until it was stolen by persons unknown. It is generally believed these tomb robbers spirited the marker into the depths of the Undermountain where they tried to dismantle it for its' metals, but from there stories vary.
      Some say that the magic used by the plunderers awoke the spirit of Bellandra, which laid in slumber within the light, and that she is now a watchghost dedicated to defending the Moonstars, but that she wanders the alleyways of the southern Wards in vain as the House of Moonstar was moved outside of the (then-current) city walls in 1256DR. Other, darker tales say that one of the bandits fell into the molten mix as it was being smelted in arcane fire, and that it is his dark spirit which animates the phantasm, and it drifts through the back alleys of the city seeking blood and life to quench its' ever-burning fate. It would seem that only the elders of House Moonstar know for certain, and they do not talk of such things.

Scug
Dock walloper, Purple Palace "rowdy" (bouncer) and muscle-for-hire. Polite and rather shy. Has had his incisors replaced with silvered spikes (causing a noticeable overbite). When asked why he simply replies, "werewolves."

Seftan Starudder (CG HM War3)
A rather handsome, glib, dark-haired womanizer. Younger son of Jullah and Dramos Starudder. Sailed aboard the Dreaming Sun with his family and the Knights Errant adventurers in search of the Far Lands of Anchorome. Survived the attack of Dendar the Night Serpent at the Waters At The Edge of the World, and the sinking of the Sun upon its' return to Faerūn. He later parlayed the remaining family fortunes into ownership of a new merchantman, which he christened the Wayward Sun.

Segarin the Tall (N HM War6)
An Uthgardt strongarm (hiresword). Roughly-braided blonde hair and full blonde moustache. His right temple is a mass of angry discolored scar tissue, the legacy of a well-aimed spiked mace. Works for the Xanathar and as a local South Ward "rowdy" (tavern bouncer) when his funds run low.

Selajalynn
The legendary "Lady Rogue" of Waterdeep. The first to successfully plunder the vaults of both the abbey of Chauntea (located where Piergeiron's Palace now stands) and the House of the Moon. Alleged to have been a lycanthrope with the ability to change into a large raven-furred crag cat. The "Tamer of Temples" was soon laid low by a circle of battlemages hired by the incensed Selūnites, but neither her plunder (rumored to include an everbright stomacher inset with no less than five kings tears and enspelled with various protective magics; and the White Scepter of Selūne, a cousin to the holy Wand of the Four Moons) nor her lair were ever found. The term "Selaja's Secret" is still used today in some parts of the city, to refer to something of value hidden in a safe place.

Schend of Waterdeep [ Source: Races of Faerūn: Additional Planetouched Deities <seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/we/ZZZrofplanetoucheddeities.html> and Magic Books of Faerūn: Nybor's Small Codex <wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20041215a>. Name/Description given ]

Sedmond Sulmoor [ An 01/02/14 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2019 :  01:08:52  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Adarnra Uldarn
Dark curly hair, blue eyes. Sly, swift-tongued. Charlatan and swindler. Peddles Oil of Gold, a fuel of her own creation "resolved by the Art into liquid substance" (preserved and preservered by these secret methods any lamp or lanthorn is guaranteed an elf's-age of continued candent burning!). Basically just standard whale oil dyed an unusal amber hue and gussied up in gilded containers.

Aeldyr Half-Armed
Ranger-Lord of the North. Founder of The Longmen (one of the first ranger brotherhoods of the North). There is a statue of him, bearded and heavy-browed (often rumored to be some sort of activator for a gate to the High Forest), in Heroes' Garden. His sword, The Beljuril Blade (known then as The Star-Forged Sword), is now in service of the Tymorite priest, Jorynn Halstaff.

Aeresker Bhulhawk
Proprietor of Bhulhawk's Ready Bathings (Trades Ward, Simple's Street west of Virgin's Square), a fleet of some dozen carts and their strong-backed bearers. Bhulhawk's customers make arrangements for a visit, and in return get sent round a cart bearing a tank of heated water and a portable tub. The man who pulls the cart carries the tub into the domicile, and fills it by carrying up the water in buckets (various scented lotions, colorful salts for the bath, and clever little handsoaps carved into fanciful fish and beasts cost extra). The porter remains in the street outside until the bath is finished, to regain the tub and collect payment. Bhulhawk has also begun experimenting with making attractive folk of both sexes available as "soaking companions," again for additional coin, with somewhat positive results.

Agathlūndra
Old Mother Aggie. Aged priestess of Eldath. Half-elf. Seems impossibly old and fragile, but still moves with purpose (albeit slowly) and her eyes still shine bright, deep under wrinkled brows. Aligned with the priests of the Nature shrines. Spends her days roaming the city, planting various lichen and moss between street cobbles, seagrass and scrub brush under the shadows of the city walls, and various edible leeks and tubers upon the slopes of Mount Waterdeep. Easily identified by the shreds of brightly-colored cloth fastened to the end of her walking-staff and by her companions, the various alley-cats which she greets on her rounds and has given names such as Yellow-Tom (Tommzy), Elf-Ears, Twelve-Toes and Bander-Tail.

Ahbhaer el Ahvenaklaur (LN HM)
The Southern Sword, The Master of Mercenaries. A well-known trainer of swordsmen, retired mercenary outfitter, and current "High Trumpet-Speaker" (a position that involves arranging and announcing the day's festivities and events) at the Field of Triumph. A native of Calimshan. Has dark hair and eyes, a strong chin, and a commanding presence. More commonly known as "Abber of the Arena."

Adreinelle Nesher [ Source: "Elminster's Everwinking Eye: Felshroun," Ed Greenwood, Polyhedron Magazine #120, p.8. Posted on-line at The Border Kingdoms: Introduction <archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frbk/20060322a>. Name/Title given ]

Aeramacrista Gauntyl [ Source: City of Splendors: A Waterdeep Novel. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2019 :  22:41:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

The Scarlet-Spangled Moonstar
The Grim Grey Guardian, The Scarlet Glance. Phantasmal apparition or undead spectre, Dock and South Wards. It appears as a largely insubstantial mass of silver with a cloud or spots of brilliant scarlet color, ringed by a fine mist of minute scarlet motes. In 1248DR, Lord Andegul of House Moonstar ordered built a grave marker of silver and magic for his deceased wife, Bellandra Maernos. The device shone atop her crypt in the City of the Dead for four years until it was stolen by persons unknown. It is generally believed these tomb robbers spirited the marker into the depths of the Undermountain where they tried to dismantle it for its' metals, but from there stories vary.
      Some say that the magic used by the plunderers awoke the spirit of Bellandra, which laid in slumber within the light, and that she is now a watchghost dedicated to defending the Moonstars, but that she wanders the alleyways of the southern Wards in vain as the House of Moonstar was moved outside of the (then-current) city walls in 1256DR. Other, darker tales say that one of the bandits fell into the molten mix as it was being smelted in arcane fire, and that it is his dark spirit which animates the phantasm, and it drifts through the back alleys of the city seeking blood and life to quench its' ever-burning fate. It would seem that only the elders of House Moonstar know for certain, and they do not talk of such things.

Seftan Starudder (CG HM War3)
A rather handsome, glib, dark-haired womanizer. Younger son of Jullah and Dramos Starudder. Sailed aboard the Dreaming Sun with his family and the Knights Errant adventurers in search of the Far Lands of Anchorome. Survived the attack of Dendar the Night Serpent at the Waters At The Edge of the World, and the sinking of the Sun upon its' return to Faerūn. He later parlayed the remaining family fortunes into ownership of a new merchantman, which he christened the Wayward Sun.

Love these two. So, Dendar swallowed "the Sun"? Didn't you have another Starudder earlier.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  00:54:29  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Didn't you have another Starudder earlier.

Yes, there's a couple. Less than there used to be, though.

quote:
So, Dendar swallowed "the Sun"?

No, Dendar was last seen coiled around the incensed goddess Umberlee, summoned in desperation by Seftan's mother before the sinking ship and surviving crew were whisked back to Faerūn proper.

"And Dendar, grown overlarge and overproud in his cage, laughed.
And it was this laugh, more than any mortal plea, that Umberlee heard, and she arrived forthwith in all her Glory to remind the Creature of his humbling.
But Dendar was not only Serpent but serpentine, and all his nightmare forms rushed forth, enveloping and entwining the Bitch Queen in foul embrace.
And in response the Goddess of the Seas assumed her full aequoreal majesty, and slipped his darkened bounds, and thus did a mighty battle commence.
"
      -excerpted from The Fantastical Final Voyage of the Dreaming Sun, Which Found the Edge of Forever and Returned to Tell the Tale
          Elveh Starudder
          1372DR, Year of Wild Magic

I hate to admit, I honestly never made a connection between Dendar and the "Sun." Not consciously, at least. I'm sorely tempted to go back and change that now, though.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000