Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  19:36:29  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
With the release of the Dragon Heist, I was plumbing the adventure's lore section for the updated information. Their description of the Watchful Order looked to have changed, and when comparing it to the 3.5 version I see the emphasis on joining was tuned up a bit.

Question though.... how are members of the guild identified in public? Any past lore on that?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2018 :  02:50:58  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to understand this description from "Waterdeep and the North"

Livery: dark purple cloaks, with a white human hand, open, with fingers together and uppermost, on the left shoulder.

The part that confuses me is the "and uppermost, on the left shoulder"

Is that simply trying to describe that the fingers are together, pointing upwards, and that the livery is pinned to their cloak's left shoulder?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2018 :  04:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

I'm trying to understand this description from "Waterdeep and the North"

Livery: dark purple cloaks, with a white human hand, open, with fingers together and uppermost, on the left shoulder.

The part that confuses me is the "and uppermost, on the left shoulder"

Is that simply trying to describe that the fingers are together, pointing upwards, and that the livery is pinned to their cloak's left shoulder?

Not 100% certain on this, but I'll have a go at it.
The Realms has its own heraldry system. A lot of it, including the terminology, overlaps with real world heraldic terms, though I vaguely recall finding occasional instances where it didn't exactly match.
Uppermost means the top part of the shield in this world's terminology. So I'm guessing that the description means that the hand is positioned at the top of the cloak, as opposed to centered in the middle of the cloak, and to the left. Good resource for real world heraldry terms here.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000