Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dungeon #192 - Backdrop: Daggerdale
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gambit_10
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  02:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Gambit_10's Homepage Send Gambit_10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello there,

I need your help!!!

Is the "new" daggerdale timeline presented @Dungeon #192 canon?

Tks in advance!!

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  02:42:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends what you consider "canon" ... most people accept anything and everything with D&D branding, FR logo, and TSR/Wizards as being "canon" ... anything written by recognized D&D/FR game designers or authors ... every little scrap, including all the magazines, periodicals, short stories, articles, and random web-based content.
I believe this is also WotC's tacit definition of what constitutes official "canon", along with the addendum that new always trumps old whenever there's conflicting information.

Some people, like myself, consider basically everything published after AD&D as "non-canon".
"Not in my Realms" has become something of a traditional greeting for grognards.

Both approaches and anything in between are perfectly valid. My only advice is to basically ignore what others call "canon" and stick with whatever you enjoy most, love what you love in the Realms as it already is to you, don't force yourself to love anything which changes that. If Dungeon #192 Daggerdale works for your Realms then who cares if it's canon - who cares where it came from, who cares if you play it out exactly as written or if you customize it for better fit - don't be afraid to violate canon details which may not even exist yet (or ever). The Realms setting is best treated as a living world filled with characters and changes, not as a museum filled with carefully curated commandments and histories. In short, you might misplace some little details, you could have different people in different times and places, your map might look different ... but if you and your players interact with your Realms then you're already doing it right, even if some random magazine article says things are different.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 28 Aug 2018 03:12:00
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  09:44:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Published in Dungeon? Yep, canon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gambit_10
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2018 :  12:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Gambit_10's Homepage Send Gambit_10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tks mates!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  11:36:22  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I on the other hand don't think of everything in Dragon / Dungeon / Polyhedron as canon. Too many little contradictions over the years. I way them each on a case by case basis.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2018 :  14:25:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Gambit_10,

I agree with both Master Mage and Great Reader Krashos, ironically, since they compete.

Canon is most valuable, in my not so humble opinion, if it comes down to an importance of moving along with what has transpired in the most canon of items, i.e. FRCS, novels, published accessories/expansions, and then scrutinizing things from that standpoint for consistency appears to me to be really important.

However, looking at things from a standpoint of added material that makes the world more fleshed out, full, alive, etc., appears canon to me.

I feel the most official materials as I mentioned above, provide a great reference point to feel your way through whether you want to accept something from Dragon, Dungeon, Polyhedron or not, because as Master Mage stated, there are a lot of contradictions in those works.

Then again....Tyr turned into a felon, and committed capital murder because apparently he decided to go full idiot and be tricked as he was.....and that was as "canon" as it gets.

Scrutinizing things is your best bet. If it smells like an underpaid intern with a mid-range double digit IQ score wrote the material, I'd recommend not going to the store for your next TP run, and just use those pages instead, and not use it as canon.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit_10

Hello there,

I need your help!!!

Is the "new" daggerdale timeline presented @Dungeon #192 canon?

Tks in advance!!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000